New here! Cost-effective housing/apartment for rent near Amsterdam?

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and this is my first post. I apologize in advance if I'm already violating some rules if this is posted incorrectly. I will be moving to Netherlands in mid January next year to work for a company in Amsterdam. After researching, I find that housing is the major concern in moving to Amsterdam, at least in terms of cost (factor out the tax). That's why as early as now, I'm already seeking advice from the experts in this forum. I have mainly the following questions:

1. Which areas near/adjacent Amsterdam are the best places to stay for accommodation with a budget of 800 euros or 1000 euros inclusive? Preferably a 1 bedroom apartment but I can make do with a studio type if that's all I can get. Preferably at most a 30 minute commute to Amsterdam centre, and ideally commutable by bike when I'm not lazy if at all possible. It would be great if the area has a healthy expat community as well.

2. Is it absolutely necessary to get a realtor/ agent to rent a place? or is it highly recommended? I live here in Manila, Philippines and I moved a lot and could handle finding a place on my own without problems, but I'm not familiar with the rental market in Netherlands.

3. Where are the best places/ websites to look for accommodation?

If you have any other advise for a soon to be newbie expat, please do share! It will be highly appreciated. Thank you!

Hello there amsterdonis,

Welcome on board  :)

Go through the Accommodation in Amsterdam article for a first insight.

Hope you get some feedbacks soon,
Bhavna

Over 50% of the housing in Amsterdam is owned by Housing Associations.  Check out this website; it has some links at the bottom that may be useful to you.

Thank you for the information!  :)