Working

hi guys

I will be moving to Mauritius in January for about a year, just to experience the island, reunited with my family, that sort of thing. I was wondering if anyone knows if finding bar/waitoring jobs is easy in Mauritius. I have plenty of experience and speak french, so i would think it wouldn't be a problem. but, i have never been to Mauritius, so i can't be certain. I know most of you are working professionals, but i was wondering if anyone can give me advice, tips, or good places to try when i'm there

thanks so much

Daniel Moody

Depends on where you are going to be living on the island and also what your work status will be.  If you are coming to Mauritius as an expat then you probably won't find a "legal" job working in a bar or restaurant that would meet the minimum salary requirements which are currently 75,001 rupees per month.

I'm sure that there are places that will hire you and pay you off the books, but you will be lucky if you get more than a 10,000 rupee per month salary plus tips as that is the typical starting salary pay for Mauritians working in that area.  I can't imagine a bar/restaurant would take the risk to hire you illegally and want to pay you any more than what they could hire a local for.

thanks mate for the info
well i'm not too sure about South African's work status in Mauritius. I have worked in other SADC countries legally, but with no work Visa, so i thought i would be the same for Mauritius(since it is a part of the SADC). Can maybe South African expats in Mauritius help me here. do i need a visa to work casually in Mauritius?

Hi Dgmoody,

We have a South African Expat.com member Rajan Naidu. He has got his own South African restuarant in Mauritius. You can try sending him a private message and get more info\help from him.

All the best to you.

Cheers!!!
Terence

Thanks Terence

Will look into it.