Port Harcourt

is there anybody from PH?

Welcome to Expat-blog, Ayushka  :)

Hope that you get a reply soon.

Regards,
Sheetul.

Port Harcourt in General: the most dangerous part of Nigeria and perhaps as volatile and dangerous as Iraq or Somalia.
Reason is the main Oil Rich Land of Nigeria is here and local says that government has taken over on their land without giving proper part to them for that reason they choose to fight with arms. they have AK47 and loaded all times. their source of income and thats the only source is: they kidnap white people and ask for ransom and once most of the time. the sponsor of the kidnapped person pay the asked ransom and they releases the victim but there are cases where no one pay the amount and innocent victim had to loose the life.
in Nigeria Armed robberies so privilent and their main target are white people (no matter which country they are from)
Only Victoria Island is safe (safest) place in the Country and as far as Lagos is concerned some part of it such as Allen avenue and area surrounding Sheraton hotel is good and and rest of the country is extremely dangerous.

My husband got offered a job working for Finance Dept for Indorama Subsidiary in Nigeria, Port Harcourt. He is CA with 7 yrs of experiance in finance dept in india, how much of salary should we except for a AGM finance.I would have to live there for 4 years as stated in the contract .
They also state that we would live in a company community where it provides " Maximum and efficient security both in work place and housing community".
we are really confuzed on what to do ,
Can anyone please provide me with any information or suggestions to help us with this decision .

thanks
sumithra

Welcome to the forum ssumithra ;)

I hope other members will respond to you soon.

Regards

beingtraveler wrote:

Get your facts right before you write such rubbish!

Port Harcourt in General: the most dangerous part of Nigeria and perhaps as volatile and dangerous as Iraq or Somalia.

Wrong. Jos in Plateau State is probably the most dangerous place in Nigeria due to the ongoing violence between Muslims and Christians. Port Harcourt suffered serious security related problems from 2002-2008 but now seems to have become a lot more settled recently and many expatriates have returned.

Reason is the main Oil Rich Land of Nigeria is here and local says that government has taken over on their land without giving proper part to them for that reason they choose to fight with arms. they have AK47 and loaded all times. their source of income and thats the only source is: they kidnap white people and ask for ransom and once most of the time.

Wrong. Nationalities and race or colour of skin have nothing to do with kidnapping, in fact more Nigerians have been kidnapped than all other nationalities combined.

the sponsor of the kidnapped person pay the asked ransom and they releases the victim but there are cases where no one pay the amount and innocent victim had to loose the life.

There is no evidence that anyone has been killed as a result of the failure to pat a ransom. The greatest threat to the life of a kidnap victim is a botched rescue attempt by the police or military.

in Nigeria Armed robberies so previlent and their main target are white people (no matter which country they are from)

Rubbish. Criminals will seek the easiest target irrespective of race or colour, which applies in any country.

Only Victoria Island is safe (safest) place in the Country and as far as Lagos is concerned some part of it such as Allen avenue and area surrounding Sheraton hotel is good and and rest of the country is extremely dangerous.

Complete rubbish again. I have traveled to many towns and cities in Nigeria and never felt threatened or intimidated at all.