Bank of Bangkok to transfer money from the USA to Thailand?

I am an expat living in the Philippines, I am thinking about relocating to Thailand. Can anyone explain to me step by step how you can use Bank of Bangkok to transfer money from the USA to Thailand?

I have an accounts with Bangkok Bank and a USA account with US Bank. It was very easy and fast to transfer money to Thailand. You just need to open a USD and THB accounts with Bangkok Bank. Also make sure your bank in the USA does not have an issue with transferring money over seas.

madhatter868 wrote:

I am an expat living in the Philippines, I am thinking about relocating to Thailand. Can anyone explain to me step by step how you can use Bank of Bangkok to transfer money from the USA to Thailand?

You will find all informations about transferring money from Bangkok Bank which have a branch in New York to Thailand, in their website : click here

Good luck with that ... Bangkok bank  in Thailand does not pull monies from foreign accounts usually
so what you can do is set up a send push through your USBank, I use BoA (Bank of America) and manually have to send myself monies every 3 months as their fee is 45 USD per transfer no matter the amount, so to keep the cost down I only send every 90 days, but they will not set up a regular auto account sweep of the account , like sending every thing over 5000 the minimum to get no monthly maintenance fee as I will be receiving SSN and a state pension for the next 20 plus years ... it gets the job done but also requires a passcode tied to a cell phone that eventually will become disconnected through attrition  at some point ion the future ... a pull funding would be great but from everything I can find out this isn't some thing they do, and I have worked for a very large state central accounting system, so am very familar with EFT electronic funds transfers ... good luck if you find a better way do spread the news around and lets all short the banking system their onerous fees.

The Bank of Bangkok,New York City is usually used for direct deposit of US Social Security benefit. If this applies to you go to www.ssa gov and register for an account. You must fill out form SSA-1099 which you can download from this site. You then go to your Thailand branch and open a Bank of Bangkok, New York City account. Then you open a separate account at your local branch to transfer your money from NYC to your branch in Thailand. Look at ssa.gov and Bank of Bangkok's website and both will explain what you need to do.
Good luck!

I will certainly look into this option in the near future ... thanks for the tip ...
funny my local branch in Saraburi never mentioned it as a possiblity
but then again then are a local branch.

copied from Bangkok Bank's own information

Bangkok Bank's New York Branch will implement changes effective 1 April 2019 will require transfers
and direct deposits to be in the International ACH Transfer (IAT) format, which captures more
information and is special coded to show the funds ultimate destination is outside the US. It appears
that most USA banks do not offer the IAT format to their retail customers online banking. Likewise,
Direct Deposit of Government pensions (Social Security, Military, Civil Service, etc.) also uses the
regular ACH (domestic format) for transmitting funds.
Click here to visit Bangkok Bank's webpage on the subject.
The National Automated Clearing House Association (NACHA) regulates the use of the ACH system
and Bangkok Bank's NY Branch has made the changes to comply with their Operating Rules. These
rules require that ACH transfers that transfer funds to a bank outside the USA, must be done by using the International ACH Transfer (IAT) format. This is effective now for anyone wishing to set up a transfer using the ACH system for doing such transfers or to set up a Direct Deposit of their penison.
The change notes: With effective from April 1, 2019, New York branch will only process ACH with
appropriate IAT format and all non-IAT transactions will be returned.
This alert is to inform those currently set up and transferring funds from their US Bank account or Direct
Deposit of their Social Security or other Gov't pension to their Bangkok Bank Account in Thailand, that
as of April 1, 2019, the sending institution (Bank, US Gov't Agency, etc.) must use the IAT format.
Therefore, it appears that using the Bangkok Bank NY Branch for transferring funds through the ACH
system may no longer be available. I

Your SS direct deposit will be converted to Thai baht at the daily exchange rate. The SSA does not charge a fee. Bank of Bangkok's fee is very favorable. I used US Bank before and they charged a 3% fee. Just like most retail businesses in Thailand who charge you 3% to convert your dollars to baht.

So now I am using REMITLY ... AT 3.99 A TRANSFER VERSUS 45 WITH BANK OF AMERICA, NO % JUST A STRAIGHT UP FEE AND I MENTIONED TO THEM ABOUT PERIODIC PAYMENTS LIKE MY SSN CHECKS WHICH COME EVERY MONTH FOREVER AND I EXPECT THEY WILL LOOK IN TO HANDLING TAHT WITH AN AUTOMATED PAYMENT METHODOLOGY SOME TIME IN THE NEAR FUTURE.