Which region is best VT or Yambol?

Hi  Seeking advice from expats living all year round in Bulgaria.  I am torn between 2 regions to relocate & retire to.  VT or Yambol.  Would appreciate words of wisdom regarding the following:-

Safety & security
Crime levels
Gypsy problems
friendliness of the local community
Any other problematic or positive factors
Services
Shopping
Infastructure

Hope to hear from you all soon

I haven't been to Yambol, but I love VT

Drove through Yambol once and let's say it just looks like nothing is happening there. VT is a world heratige site, it gets funding from the EU, is a lot cleaner, is a tourist hot spot, has a lot more to see and from what I understand a lot more expats live there and around there.

VT but in the South!

Not sure if you have children, but the Yambol region has a very active scouts organization, which can be helpful for children meeting people and integrating.

Other than that, I am partial to the VT region (I live in Gabrovo, myself).

Most of your questions, such as the friendliness of the locals and the demographics are more based on which village you choose, not which region.

If you are into making wine or such, you might choose the yambol region. Also, for the same type of structure, housing seems to be a tiny bit cheaper there. Yambol is also closer to the coast, and I definitely prefer the southern, sandy beaches around bourgas rather than the northern beaches around varna.

Something to keep in mind- Sliven is just north of yambol, and is known as the prostitution capital of Bulgaria- a lot of human trafficking (both by choice and force) happens there, and from my experience, it has a more aggressive begging behavior than any other town in Bulgaria (similar to skopje in macedonia- where beggers will follow you down the street, aggressively insisting on you giving them money)--- at least, it was turning that way in 2013. So, from a regional perspective, the areas northwest of yambol that would regularly put you in sliven for shopping may not be the best for a foreigner.

That being said- there is karendula there, which is great for hiking.

Hi to one & all Kojidae, Evan-hora, KrisOxO, Robbihw,   thank you for your time, posts & info.  Defo food for thought.  very interesting reading about the Sliven region - that is definitely off my location list now  :o 

Keep the advice coming please, only have one lot of savings so MUST make sure I pick the right location & not make a big boo-boo   :cheers:

South of VT without any hesitation

Hi, just butting in here but are there any British schools in vt? I can only seam to locate them in Sofia. Thanks for any feed back.

I know they have an American college and an English-language high school, but not sure about specifically British schools.

VT get my vote

Hi Arbra.  Thanks for your input.  Sorry for the delay in replying but been away for 10 days. I notice you are from Brussels, so maybe you can help me with a big problem.  I wish to take my dog with me to Bulgaria (VT region).  So far I have a route via JetAirFly that everyone uses to  take pets out of Sinai via Sharm-el-Sheikh to Brussels.  Flat rate price for dog in hold so cool.  My problem is how to get my dog from Brussels to Bulgaria. Options needed.  is it possible to take international train from Brussels to Bulgaria??  Another airline from Brussels to Sofia or another Bulgarian airport that will accepted dogs, but this could mean big waiting time between flights & maybe stricter rules on the crate/dog??  Any other options you or anyone else can think of.  Car hire is probably out because my husbands UK photo card is expired (like so many of us he did not know they only lasted 10 years & have to be renewed)  His actual green paper counterfoil is in date until 2022.  He does hold an Egyptian driving licence & I have been told it is permitted to use a non EU driving licence for 1 year, but will a car hire company accept that.  So Arbra or anyone else on the forum - any ideas please, we are desperate & ready to move from Egypt but sorting route for the dog is holding our relocation up.  Any help will be extremely welcome

Hi Kosarka  Just in VT now - have to agree its a great area

I think there are only 2 companies flying to Sofia.... Bulgarian Airline and Wizzair. As far as I know Wizzair doesn't allow pets onboard but with Bulgarian Airline it shouldn't pose any problem. Have you checked already their conditions ?

Hi Arbra  - have been advised that Bulgarian Airlines do take dogs, larger one in the hold but a maximum weight is 32KG (that includes dog & crate).  So that option is out for me as my dog is 34KG without the crate weight.

British Airways (B/A)  fly to Sofia & they are a IATA or IPATA recognised carrier for pets.  My problem is flights from Egypt getting to Sofia.  No direct route.  B/A fly from Sharm - el -Sheikh to London.  But then I would have to get separate flight London to Sofia.

I can get a flat rate price for dog in hold from Sharm-el-Sheikh to Brussels with JetAirFly.  Most pet owners use this route when leaving Egypt as its not silly prices, quick direct route.  But then I need some route - transport mode from Brussels to Bulgaria.  Arlines?  Trains? Coaches? Car or lorry or van service?  its an absolute nightmare to try to find.  You get a lead & hopes get raised & then wollop something crops up & that plan is blown out the water. 

So anyone has any ideas, suggestions , lifelines please post.  I have a ticking clock against me due to new strict visa regulations in Egypt - so want to be out & safely in Bulgaria before I have to confront that scenario of the lottery of "will they or wont they"

Hi we have looked at a few properties around the Gorski Goren Trambesh areas.
Does anyone have any experience of this area please?
We are retiring when we move so not concerned about work etc just people crime etc

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : off topic + please post your ad in the housing section. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : Broken link

Can anyone reccomend an accountant in VT..thank you