Opening a local (Citibank) account?? Anyone know how??

Hi,

I have been he two months. I wanted to open a local account of citbank, as they are my oversea bank, which would mean free money transfers form overseas to here and being able to get USD.

I already asked with them, but they said I need a Kitas, NWNP and maintain USD 5k in the account. They also explained I could widow the USD free of fees, up to 10K /month.

However in my overseas Citibank, any USD transaction carries a percentage fee as the host country is not USA...

My questions are:

1. I don't have a Kitas, (I am trying to work out what visa I can get presently) so I am presently on a 30 day visa which I renew as needed, or do a quick nearby country hop.

2. What is NWNP, my friend seems to think it is a national tax file number, I am not working here, so don't have income to declare, and definitely do t have a local tax file no.

Appreciate anyone whom uses Citibank could offer advice please,

Thank you in advance

Regards

Kenny2007

I can see why you'd want US$ if you're going abroad a lot, but what's the point if you're staying on Bali for two years or more?
Dollar transactions are illegal, and cost you a pile more anyway.
Get your wife sponsored KITAS, open a local bank account, then work out how to use Rupiah by the million.
The cash saved on free transfers will get eaten up with exchange rates and money changers' commissions.

Citibank?  In Bali?    :lol:http://www.thebalitimes.com/2011/11/14/ … for-fraud/http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014240 … 3169779198

By NWNP I think you meant NPWP (Nomor Pokok Wajib Pajak) which is your tax identification number…and yes, you will need one…and you will need a KITAS (residency visa) as well. 

Think about it…you're asking to open a US dollar account where you have to maintain a minimum $5,000.00 balance (Citibank requirement) but of course, you aren't going to make any income based on transactions from that bank based here in Bali?  Of course you are…at the minimum that will be interest on your account balance. 

Banking in Bali used to be like it was in the “Wild Wild West” but it's not that way any longer.

Hi Fred,

Thanks for feedback, the USD is what my money is held in overseas, so to transfer to Citibank is the main benefit, not paying transfer fees that my overseas bank and local bank charge by using Citibank. Your correct on the local currency bit, I don't need it in U.S., but hv the choice to take bank offered rate or go to money changer...
My wife does have local account, BNI & BRI, but both have a lot of hidden fees, and limited as to how much can draw/transfer per day and very Anal about having passbook, we lost one at card, they told us to replace it, we had to go back to Surabaya where she opens it to get new one, so we had to bin that account too, and reopen another...just lack western logic with local banks, also if you wanna take large amount, I.e to pay a year rent lease I had to do it over 5 days as I could only internally transfer 20 mill rupiah per day, Citibank a bit above all that and easier, hence wanting them,

Thanks for the reply though Fred, will see if any more posts.

Cheers

Kenny2007

If you think with Western logic then everything will seem 'anal' here. Banking is still maturing and the rules are annoying but getting better. BRI is useful as its a local bank as there are more ATMs for it whereas Citibank will be limited. The visa issue will hamper this a lot as that takes time to organise so maybe think about the other Indonesian Banks Permata, Mandiri, BCA offer dollar accounts and relatively simple banking. They all have a ceiling to how much cash is moved a day but might be more aligned to western procedures. Permata is owned by Standard Charter and BCA is just big.

Nothing is for free anyway,you just have 30 days free visa go for it but don't start complaining.

You officially need a KITAS to open a bank account, does not matter if it is in Jakarta or Bali.

NPWP is your tax number, you don't have yet maybe but staying here over 181days you are supposed  have one.

Happy hour,

Don't mess with my posts!!! You write in my name and state below my sign off!!!

I wasn't complaining, just expressing my opinion and seeking information to better my stay.

If you do it like or dont want to reply nicely don't reply at all please.

I need not any more input from you Ever!

This is a open forum for all people of all nature, I wasn't complaining but guess it rubbed your sore spot....go let your steam out elsewhere but don't accuse me of bad mouthing or tell me to get out.

Hi Kenny, basically you must have a KITAS to open a bank account here as well as a tax identification number. If you do not have a tax identification number then I think you can use your wife's one. At least, that's what we did with the HSBC bank.

Kenny2007 wrote:

Happy hour,

In fairness, that isn't his style, so I'm guessing it was a posting error, not deliberately messing your post around.

Thank you again Hansson,

How does one obtain a tax file number? I have been in Bali 2 months now, my wife is from Surabaya originally, but lived overseas for more than 10 years, basically went to study and took her first job overseas, so neither of us have knowledge of the ins and outs or even the basics here...

She does not have a tax file number, and not sure how she even opened her accounts as they were opened about 20 years ago in Surabaya.

Sorry if I sound so brainless on the matter, but just became difficult when we couldn't even get a replacement bank card to one of her accounts we lost, but as mentioned I would feel more comfortable with Citibank, and even if not, I guess if I am to stay here I need to open a TFN and affiliated,

Anything you can advise on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Kenny2007

My wife already had hers, but I believe if you go to www.online-pajak.com it should explain. Probably some others here might have better information on this subject.

You can get your tax number here:

Kantor Pajak, Jalan Kapten Tantular No. 4, GKN II Denpasar (Renon section).

Thank you everyone for the information,

I will go sort it out from tomorrow

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Kenny2007

Kenny2007 wrote:

Happy hour,

Kenny,

Your indignation is completely misplaced, since no member other than yourself is able to alter anything in your postings. I have examined all of your topic postings and none of them have your name and state below them and I can only presume that you're somewhat confused and talking about the text that appears below your avatar "Bali". The location of any of our members who have indicated where they are currently living in the registration process will show up there. Your profile indicates that you've listed that you are currently living in Indonesia (Bali) and that you come from Australia.

If you're referring to something else, I certainly cannot find it anywhere. I would also suggest that you take some time to read the INDONESIA FORUM CODE OF CONDUCT before posting any further. It outlines the rules that our members are expected to follow when posting to our forums.

Regards,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

I also went through the same process a few months ago at the Citibank Sudirman branch and told them about the tax file number and retirement, etc. They agreed to waive the tax number because I'm on retirement visa. (I have not yet completed the formalities to open this account as, due to other officialdom hiccups, my domicile letter and related police reports are awaiting completion, but, as soon as that's done I'll be back down to Citibank to open an account).  That may change as I've since been told that BCA is a better bank, fees and charges wise. But, as you stated, they don't have the international links that Citibank offer.