Conch Shell Inn

Hello everyone,

I am a 57 year old male currently living in New York.  I am thinking about a move to Belize within the next 1.5 - 2 years.  I have never been to Belize, but based on my research I think Ambergris Caye, Caye Caulker or Corozal Town would be the place for me.

I am heading to A/C in February for 9 days for a little "fact finding".  I do not want to stay at an expensive place and right now am thinking about either Pedros, Conch Shell Inn or Seven Seas Resort.

Does anyone have any comments about these places?

Stay healthy.

Doug

PS  Booked my flight earlier today and excited to see the area.  Also, any suggestions on getting to A/C from the Belize City Airport.  Was thinking about the packages they have for ground taxi to water taxi ... to A/C ... to the hotel.

Oh well ... I didn't get any response on here, so just based everything off what I saw on the Internet.  Staying at the Conch Shell Inn.  Looking forward to my February Trip.  Hope to meet some of you when I am there.

just remember you are going to Belize during the expensive time for a room.
in february 2014 we went and stayed in ambergris caye. in february 2015
we stayed in hopkins and in february 2016 we're going back and staying
at the same location.

larry

NY guy
Welcome to Belize!  Hope you love your trip.   Come with an open mind,  internet research is very misleading.  When we first visited Belize in 2009 our internet research had us certain we would settle in Corozal.  After visiting all areas of the country we built a house in Placencia,  opposite end of the country.   Internet can provide base information but you have to visit each area to get the true picture.

I haven't been to Ambergris in years so I can't help you on a room out there.   If you come in mainland and want to see the south of country check out Beachfront Suites as a great location to explore entire south end.

Best Regards

Welcome to the Ex-Pat Forum and to Belize-bound, like-minded individuals. You can get a wealth of information from this forum, including reading some older posts.  You can also get a lot of good general information from the net, but specific issues will probably require a personal visit.
You definitely have enough time to plan your trip wisely, but realize it takes longer than you think it will, to get anywhere in Belize.  9 days you will probably find, is not enough time.  But hey, you can always come back and do it again.  If you don't have a vehicle while there- and you probably won't on AC- it can be tough to get around.  It took us 3 trips of about 10 days each to figure out where we really wanted to be. We chose the jungle off Hummingbird, so I am also unable to help you with accommodations or info on AC or Corozal, but others should be able to. If you are displeased with Conch Shell Inn, you can always move to another facility. We have done that.
You will definitely need to get a taxi and a water-taxi to get to AC from the Intl' airport, and I hear it is not cheap, though I have never done it. I saw a thread here recently that addressed this issue, but don't remember where.
Good luck and hope you enjoy your visit. It's a gorgeous country with great people- don't be put-off by the housing and structures, coming from NY.

Thank you everyone for the responses.  This February's trip I plan to stay in AC for the entire 9 days.  If somehow I wind up taking a one day trip to the mainland, great .

If I like AC I will probably go back to Belize 6 months later and check out Corozal for a week or so.  But based upon your responses, maybe I need to check out the Southern part of the country as well.

Anybody else want to help me out by giving me their opinion?

After our first visit we came back for a month.  We decided on San Ignacio for several reasons.  Even though Belize is small it varies greatly from place to place.  Do not make a decision until you've checked out Corozol in the north and Placencia/Punta Gorda in the south.  Definitely add San Ignacio to your list before you make a decision. It is nothing like your other destinations and we have several friends who have moved here after living on A/C and the coastal towns.  Safe travels.

sglionna ... thank you very much for your input.