Car insurance in bali

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to find car insurance that offers "proper" comprehensive cover for driving in Bali.

I enquires with a few already, however they state, comprehensive does not include the other car/or people. So my concern/question, does anyone know of a insurance that covers for everything from the general coverage of theft damage etc to our vehicle, to more importantly FULL coverage of the other vehicle and passenger should we be involved in a accident.

1 company stated they will give 10 million rupiah coverage to the victim should we hit them, however this would not cover much if it were a bmw or the person was injured and wished to sue us...or even needed extensive medical treatment.

So we have paused our decision to buy a car until we can know we can be properly insured for every possible case scenario as it would be in my home country Australia.

Appreciate anyone has advice on what I can find and any contacts of insurance that offers cover to the other party if we were to get in a car accident or be at fault, as I am very sure majority of the populations do not have their own insurance, and as a foreigner, I would be liable for everything if uninsured.

Sincerely

Kenny2007

Kenny, welcome to Bali, and welcome to rule #1 when it comes to tamu driving here.  No matter what, if you are in an accident here it is automatically your fault.  Why?  Simple, if you weren't driving, the accident would have never happened.

Forget everything you know and are used to regarding automobile insurance, collision and liability and personal injury. 

The locals are not suckers for the game of automobile insurance.  In fact, about the only time they may have any auto insurance coverage is if they buy a brand new vehicle on credit, as the credit issuer will require collision insurance which will only cover the purchased vehicle.

If you are in an accident, you will be held financially responsible for any property damage as well as any medical expenses for injuries caused by your accident (again, which is automatically your fault).  God forbid the worst…a death, and you are on the hook for the cremation ceremony as well.

For many of us, all of these stark realities are the reason why we don't drive ourselves.

if you own a new car from daihatsu or toyota they have all risks insurance, something like comprehensive insurance , might be worth checking out

Although I drive myself, I would agree with Ubudian, especially about being responsible for paying out a lot of money if you damage another vehicle or injure a person whether it is your fault or not. I don't live in Bali, but if I did I might try to lease a car with a driver.

The first thing to know about driving in Indonesia.
Absolutely nothing is the same as it is in any western country, including insurance rules.
You can get all risk insurance that covers everything, but many people don't bother with any insurance at all - Thinking about it, a heck of a lot don't even bother with learning to drive or getting a licence either.

My advice to everyone would be don't drive unless you have to, but some have to, so have to risk it.
If I was alone here, there is no way I'd drive, but I have little choice, so I have a car.
As Roy has mentioned, as a foreigner, the accident is likely to be your fault - even if the other person has no helmet, licence, insurance, registration document, is drunk as a lord and your dash cam shows he was on the wrong side of the road and texting.

tel522 wrote:

if you own a new car from daihatsu or toyota they have all risks insurance, something like comprehensive insurance , might be worth checking out

This is true. They arrange the insurance for you, but only if you have a credit agreement.
If you pay cash, you sort it out yourself - but they will help you do it.

Thank you everyone,

Appreciate the input. Guess it confirmed what I found out. Ok will stick to taxis's

Thanks again all.

Driving here is not so bad. After six months I started to drive a car. Living in Ubud one needs wheels as no taxis here. Just drive slowly and carefully. Look in every mirror before making a turn as mopeds come from all directions. If you drive a bigger car the mopeds less likely to squeeze and swarm all over you. If you plan to live around the popular beaches then you'll have no problem getting taxis, GrabCar or using Uber.

“Living in Ubud one needs wheels as no taxis here.”

There are plenty of “taxis” here.  They are all those guys shouting “transport” at you each time you are walking the streets of Ubud.  :D

The trend with many expats in the Ubud area who are not married to an Indonesian is to hire a full time driver who will generally have other duties, (satpam, gardener), etc.

Careful driving is obviously essential, but that is no defense against the bone headed idiot who will drive their motor bike right into your SUV or car because they aren't looking.  It's only a matter of time before something like that will happen.  You can count on it.   :top: