Yard/garage sales or thrift shops?

Are there many yard or garage sales on the island? What about thrift stores like the Goodwill?

You will find it in flee market  ("pulguillas"), most folks will try to sell the stuff via pulguillas.

Pulga = Flea
Meaning fleamarkets

It matters which part of pr you are talking about. San Juan has many thrift shops.  Many people do go to flea markets here which I haven't found to be impressive at all.  Every once in a while you will find a yard sale. These are definitely things I miss about the state's. We use to also go to estate sales which can't be found here. The island has a handful of salvation army's.   Most only carry clothing and they only accept cash. If your more specific to an area I can get you more answers

Just curious I'm in the Luquillo area

This has been the closest to your area.  https://puertoriconewcomer.wordpress.co … erto-rico/     you can also go on Craig's list Puerto Rico. You can find garage sales. Usually not many and of course other items for sale

Also you can find a lot of items on the north side of Puerto Rico http://www.clasificadosonline.com/Miscellaneous.asp

Hmmm. Just came back from the beach in Luquillo.  There are two thrift shops in Humacao. One is ninety per cent clothes. The other has a larger, but not large, selection of stuff.

Thank you

Being from NY, I also wanted to find some nice garage sales/yard sales, etc. and have found none. I did however find a nice thrift store in Aguadilla on rte. 110 called Mano a Mano. Granted it is not the most luxurious but it has a wide variety of clothes, appliances and books (which I am most interested in).

I hear that there is a Salvation Army store in Mayaguez which I have yet to go to and there is a thrift store on Rte. 2 in Mayaguez right after
Rte 419 on the right side after some car dealers. When I was going to stop there it was not open so I don't know info on it.

Good luck in your quest. I did go on clasificados and it has many things for sale.

Tonie

The salvation army in mayaguez is very tiny and only carries clothing

Thanks for the info Sandra. I may stop there anyway since sometimes, there are some treasures to be found.

We lived in Vero Beach , Fl. for a few years and they has several great thrift stores there and I am not one to get clothes at these places but they had great stuff since there was a big affluent community which donated stuff.

Where is the Salvation Army located? I have a dr.'s appt. in Mayaguez soon and may want to check it out.

Thanks for your help and take care,

Tonie

It's on a one way street.  Kind of weird to get to.  If you can find the post office.  You take your left at the post office then go to the end of the road. Take a left.  This is a 2 way road that turns into a one way.  As soon as it turns into the one way road. You will see the salvation army on the left

Also another suggestion would be to sign up for Facebook yard sale sites.  People sell stuff but sometimes they post actually yard sales

I just saw on FB someone had posted directions to a thrift store in Aguada.

"As you go into Aguada on the main road. First block on the left corner. In Aguadilla, its on rt 110. After you pass the airport,, its on the right side near Golden Crown Rest."

And is called Mano a Mano.

The place in Acura on Carr 2 or 22 is a dump. Everything is cramped in .Nothing is priced. It's really gross .and when you wait forever for someone to help you with a price. The items are definitely over priced

We have another store here in Aguada called Aguada Second Store, and the situation is the same: dirty and overpriced:(  My Spanish teacher in Rincon said that people here mostly like to buy new and there isn't really a market for used items.

You may find that used clothing items appeal mostly to poor family and they are mostly looking for kids clothes. Once they become teens or adults, they mostly want new because they are competing with other teens and young adults, they want to be cool. Just like everywhere else.

Young adults like to dress well and drive new cool cars even if most of their paychecks goes toward those items, specially if they are still at home.

When the reality of paying rent, utilities and food hits them they dress down and drive cars full of rust.

ReyP wrote:

You may find that used clothing items appeal mostly to poor family and they are mostly looking for kids clothes. Once they become teens or adults, they mostly want new because they are competing with other teens and young adults, they want to be cool. Just like everywhere else.

Young adults like to dress well and drive new cool cars even if most of their paychecks goes toward those items, specially if they are still at home.

When the reality of paying rent, utilities and food hits them they dress down and drive cars full of rust.

That is SO true!!!

Don't forget, once they move into their own place, they remember to turn off the lights, turn off the TV when not watching it and stop opening the fridge just to look. It is amazing, once my girls moved into their own home how all the stuff I used to tell them it became real for them.....and how much money I am saving in utilities!!! LOL

I just found a wood coffee table at the pulguero (thrift shop) in Humacao.  Going to 'shabby chic' it with some paint. 
Several months ago, three of us went on a thrift shop/fabric shop tour of Humacao.  Last week I also found a crafts store and a bead store in Humacao.  It might be time to  organize another shopping and lunch adventure.  PM me if you are interested.

San Patricio Plaza mall, bottom level.. JOY Thrift store..... THOUSANDS Of ENGLISH BOOKS.... good stuff.  furniture, clothing house hold items... great people....  they take stuff as well...

I'm going to have to check out the Joy Thrift store. I love to read and am always looking fort a good book store. Thanks. Usually I go to Mano a Mano in Aguadilla on Rte. 110. They have many books also.

what town is the joy thrift shop located?

Does anyone have a vegetable garden?  Are there nurseries that provide tomato, peppers, cucumber, etc. plants to buy and transfer them to my garden? Any ideas on a small greenhouse?

Lots of nurseys .Also depending on where you move lots of farmers at the farmers markets sell heirloom plants.  As for green houses I don't know about that .Not sure why someone would need a green house.  The conditions are perfect year around so I don't think one is necessary. But you know what you are looking for. Home depot online and Amazon I am sure . Amazon has no taxes to pr and sometimes you find free shipping. Best of luck and if you need more information please feel free to send a private message

I thought we drove by several  "Jardin" garden stores while touring last year.  Many adjacent to big box stores of various types.               

I'm looking forward to growing a garden on the island!   Lots of possibilities.

I'm trying right now with a bit of gardening. Not as easy for me to find "sets" like in the states, but lots of places sell climatized seeds, and as noted, the farmer's markets do sell some plants. It's just a bit of a learning curve here for me with the climate. I was pretty much a master gardener in the states, but all my experience was in central New York, so cold weather for sure. Any body with advice, I'm all ears!

vegchef wrote:

I'm trying right now with a bit of gardening. Not as easy for me to find "sets" like in the states, but lots of places sell climatized seeds, and as noted, the farmer's markets do sell some plants. It's just a bit of a learning curve here for me with the climate. I was pretty much a master gardener in the states, but all my experience was in central New York, so cold weather for sure. Any body with advice, I'm all ears!

There are two or 3 here that are heavy into farming / gardening.
I would suggest you start a new Subject about that and I am sure you will attract their attention.

Yes, lets hear from some folks with local experience!  When I lived in the Houston area we had a sub tropical climate, great for plants and fruit trees!

sandrarduncan wrote:

what town is the joy thrift shop located?

San Patricio Plaza is in Guaynabo, roughly at the intersection of Ave. F.D. Roosevelt and Road #20, Martinez Nadal.

Been here three months I started a veggie garden in pots and fruit trees ! You can find all that in various places supermarkets hardware stores etc. not a problem

Thanks .