Chainsaw

Hello,

I will be flying down in a couple weeks to clear a small area on some property we bought earlier this year. A guy I have met there will be doing the clearing and requested that I should bring a chainsaw with me from the states because they are expensive in Belize. Does anyone have a ball park figure on the cost of a chainsaw in Belize? If I were to bring one from the states wouldn't I have to pay duty on it?
I'm thinking it would be best to just buy one in Belize and not worry about getting through the airport and paying duty.
If anyone has a rough idea of the cost of a chainsaw that info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Yes, unless you come in under the QRP, you will be paying duty and maybe a few other taxes (like the environmental tas, etc.)
I brought in my electric chain saw under the QRP, but meeting the requirements for the QRP gets more and more difficult as the US economy fails.  For med, that is, since I have property in both countries.  Plus a place in Panama that I must now start paying taxes on.

i have some property in the Toledo district , and flew down with a chainsaw and professional weed-whacker in my checked luggage. I broke down both pieces of equipment so that I could pack them properly.. When I got the customs line at Belize International airport, I was called over to a desk where the agent opened and inspected my bags, and clearly saw both pieces of equipment. He let me pass through but told me that the next time i would have to pay duty. I did not enquire as to what that was. I'm not recommending that you do that, I'm just sharing my experience.

Just a thought.... you can rent a car, rent a bike, rent a golf cart. Is there a hardware store anywhere near you or a landscaping company that might rent you one?

That would be a great option if there is a place to rent one. Closest town would be San Ignacio.
Thanks for the suggestion. I would still be willing to buy one if they were not too outragous.

There are quite a few places to buy chainsaws in Spanish Lookout and Belmopan. We bought most our power tools in Spanish Lookout and didn't find the prices to be much more than up here in Canada. Mostly same brands as well. Sometimes you'll get a bit of a discount for paying cash. Check Universal Hardware, Midwest Steel, Farmers Trading in Spanish Lookout. Or Builder's and Belmopan Aggregates and Hardware.

Thank you for the info. I will check out the hardware stores in Spanish Lookout. That sounds like the best way to go.
Thanks again for everyone's input.

It will be three times the cost- I checked pricing last year in Spanish Lookout

I had my lots cleared and filled - where are u building- I have lots in Hopkins

Thanks for the info. Our lot is about 12 miles south of San Ignacio on the Cristo Rey.
Anyone have a used chainsaw that they would be willing to sell?
I'll be in the San Ignacio area in a couple weeks and will have a car.

At the end of October Penner Hardware in Belmopan is having their annual customer appreciation sale and its usually a good time to pick up these sort of items, bought a generator in last years sale at 30% off and its been great, I might be checking out the chainsaws this year myself.

Thank you for that info. I'll stop by next week when I get down there.

OOOPS just realized I said Penners should have said the name  it is now Belmopan  Agregates and Hardware. Just used te old name I remember it as. The dates are 22nd to 24th Thursday to Saturday.

Thanks for the correction. I was just sending you a not to see if it went by a different name.

How about shipping the saw FedEx to this person? I could use his services.
Is he reputable? Is there a contact for your guy you discovered? Can you and I talk, via PM or phone? Hope my suggestion was useful.
Thanks

Thank you for the info on the sale at the hardware store. They sent me a sale flyer and it should be a good sale.

Just buy one when you get there as you will probably pay more in duty. Where are you planning to clear the land?

Yes I plan on buying one when I get there. The land is outside San Ignacio towards San Antoino.

Okay in case you done know the area, there is a STHIL dealership in Spanish Lookout opposite Midwest Steel you will be able to pick up everything you need there.

Thanks, I will stop by and see what they have.

I had no problem bringing a stihl saw from the UK.    don't buy a cheap one.  I think the new auto adjust is a complication, I would bring the old system next time. unless you have some really big trees to cut suggest a 16 inch bar is a good general purpose machine, buy the bigger engine.    with some trade discount, the cost was half belize price.
plus  import duty. you may be able to reclaim tax as you leave.   the machine must be absolutely dry, recommend a blowout with an airline.   wrap with a clear plastic. if you can smell it. wrap it some more,

How about shipping the saw FedEx to this person? I could use his services.
Is he reputable? Is there a contact for your guy you discovered? Can you and I talk, via PM or phone? Hope my suggestion was useful.
Thanks

- @1LarryS Last I checked there is no FedEx in Belize. DHL is the only option and I have heard horror stories.

@bwd61 I guess a lot of equipment cost quite a bit in Belize. I also need a chainsaw among other things. I am bringing quite a few tools in my cargo trailer which I'm having shipped from Florida to Belize. Do I have to pay duty on all this equipment just tools mostly.

@brentkotchorek

In 2019 59% of Belize GDP came from important duties. It's a major reason imported goods are high here.

With that being said, directly ask the import broker you are using to ship your things. They deal with it every day, and should be able to advise you.
@bwd61
Hi, I live very close to this area in Santa Elena.
Have a man in  Esperanza village that is a tree clearing expert and has his own gear. He has been clearing land for over 40 years and has a family with a truck to carry him around with his chain saws.  I had three very difficult trees in an urban setting that had to miss houses when they came down. He did a superb job.
Lots of other people came and looked at the job but he just came and did it. Very very reasonable . I had about 5 estimates and his was even lower . Call me if you want his number . Telephone communication is always difficult but I could run you over to his house. Don't like this Belize habit of asking immigrants to bring tools. Tom 600 7912
@bwd61 Another poster suggested buying a saw in Spanish Look out. Good advise. Sooner or later you will need pats and repair work. Going back to where you bought it is always the best option.
Another alternative is to hire a guy who owns a saw. Labor is cheap here and if there are saw problems its his baby.
@bwd61 Another poster suggested buying a saw in Spanish Look out. Good advise.
- @wri57

Every 2 years, there is an industrial expo held in Spanish Lookout. Many vendors have really great sales on name brand tools and supplies at the expo that weekend.

The year I went (2018) I bought a bunch of  tools. Best deal I got was on the latest DeWalt power tool combo at a price a little lower than I bought a similar set on sale a few months earlier at Lowes in Texas. Unfortunately the Next one is not until March 2024. Never to early for long range planning 🤔
We just bought a new chainsaw today. At Crossroad Farm Supplies in Spanish Lookout. Our old Homelite 20” aged very quickly after Hurricane Earl, but still did an ok job, until it died last week.