Doing a little farming

What services/classes can I get to learn more about farming, the business side, and what if any help is provided by the government?

You may want to start by checking the UPR site for any agricultural classes they may offer. I know that for coffee producers and other fruit producers, the government give farming loans at low cost and provide "abono" free of charge based on crops production. Since PR is part of the USA, you can apply for FHA loans to purchase land at a lower interest rate.

Those are all very good suggestions,
Thanks

Hi rey, There ae programs in Puerto Rico but I think there is a minimum of cuerdas to qualify for the special programs from the dept of natural resources and/or dept of agriculture. It may be 5 acre minimum and then it has to be registered to gt the benefits.

Mrkpytn wrote:

Hi rey, There ae programs in Puerto Rico but I think there is a minimum of cuerdas to qualify for the special programs from the dept of natural resources and/or dept of agriculture. It may be 5 acre minimum and then it has to be registered to gt the benefits.

I don't have that many, no big deal, the main thing is learn a little of the business and learn what grows well in Hydroponic other than lettuce. The property has a nice hydroponic building and I can always expand it if I need to grow more. Since I will grow without soil I will need very little land. Not sure I want to go beyond what I can do in my property. More land may means having issues with people stealing when nobody is there.