Making phone calls in Kuwait

Hi,

When settling in Kuwait, one of the priorities is to be able to make phone calls.

How to proceed to get a landline installed in Kuwait?

What are the mobile operators?

What is your average monthly budget?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Maximilien

It's very easy to get SIM card when you reach Kuwait, at airport you have 3 offices for Mobile Operator you can buy any prepared card and better operator is Zein.

The budget it depend on you how much you want to use.

When you have your residence you can fix your number to monthly payment and best offer will cost you between 30 to 40 KD monthly.

You will need a Valid civil id copy to apply for landline or mobile SIM subscription. If you are entering kuwait on a visit visa, you won't be able to purchase a telephone line. Once you have your  residence permit stamped in your passport, a civil id card can be applied for and will be issued in a week's time.

Local calls through Land line is free in Kuwait . You have to request in Telephone Exchange in your area from Ministry of Communication along with House contarct , and your id copies. For the First time they will charge you installation and yearly subscription . It use to be KD 30/- for Installation and KD 30 yearly subscription . Then from the next year you should pay only yearly subscription.

Sorry its KD 30/- only for Subscription not KD 300/-

I don't know anything about land lines, haven't had one since the 90's ... I believe there are 4-5 carriers, three well known ones ... when you first arrive you don't have to wait for residence as you can just obtain prepaid services (I believe they did ask for an address and a copy of my passport), Zain was the only one offering prepaid when 'I' came, but things change here everyday... maybe all of them provide it now ...lol  ... once I obtain my residence I opted for a different provider and currently have a plan with an i6 and unlimited data for around 30 (I think quite pricy for many working here) ...

Everyone have a great Holiday!  :D

This can be made monthly rent base , which will refuse the net calling. Also should be open for every one and to be discontinued at any point of time .

Landline:
As per a previous poster, it costs 30KD to install + 30KD for the first year and then 30KD per year after that. Local calls are then free. (But international calls aren't).
You'll need to get to your local MOC to organise it with things like Civil ID etc. But first ensure that there are "empty" landline slots at your buildings exchange. There are only a limited number per building. Ask the "haris".

Mobile:
Zain, Viva and Ooredoo. There's not much to choose between them. I certainly don't have a "plan". I'm a pay as you go and usually top up around 1KD a month. People, I find, like the sound of their own voice too much and make far too many inane and pointless phone calls. Attention cravers/seekers.

Internet:
of course it's extremely useful/important nowadays, but what sad loser needs to be constantly attached to it?
You can pay a fortune to the mobile providers if you wish, but get a landline, join one of the local ISPs and get broadband in your home. About 120KD for the year (depends on the speed you want). Then you can WhatsApp, Viber, Tango, Skype from home on your mobile/computer.
Or use Mada(Soho) which is a Wimax provider.

Before I had a civil ID a Kuwaiti offered to use their civil ID so I could purchase a phone and number.  I would not advise this as this particular Kuwaiti canceled my phone number without notifying me.

Hahaha for How mucho time you have been there ?

Ooredoo and I pay around 15KD for 300 minutes a month.

I pay 20 Kd for viva for 1000 minutes free call

And with inpjone