Need Clarification

I would like to hear from someone from the U.S. on the subject of Multi Entry visa.  I received some very good advice from a gentleman from U.K. but I would like to see if what I get from a state side person is the same.

I am from California and I would like to stay in Thailand for at least 5 months while I vacation and look for a place to reside. I will be going to Phuket, Hua Hin, and other beach communities to find a place to live.

I would like to know what I need to do to stay this length of time.
1. What do I ask for
2. What Embassy do I go to to get what I need
3. Will they run a criminal background check (had a little run in with the Feds 15 yrs ago)
4. Do I need to post any money in the bank.

I would like someone from the U.S. to provide me with this info since we are both from here but all suggestions and input is welcome.

The important thing is to be able to stay in Thailand for at least 4-5 months and exactly what I am to do to be able to do that.

Thanks so much.
P.S. I am retired... age 71... single...and have a desirable income of low 5 figures.

Once I know how to stay I will return to get some advice on where to stay in Phuket, Hua Hin and other places south of Bangkok..

I'm American and also lived in California before coming to Thailand.

I used the Royal Thai Consulate in Los Angeles to obtain my Non-Immigrant (Type "O") Visa for purpose of visiting wife. Once in Thailand I then obtained extension for purpose of retirement. Your situation is slightly different and I would suggest getting Non-Immigrant (Type "O-A" Multi-entry) Visa for purpose of retirement that should be good for one year.

Go to consulate web site at link below and scroll down to the section:  "For purpose of retirement" and you will find all the details.

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_ … link_id=34

Non-Imm Type O-A Multi-entry should get you a visa that is good for one year.  Upon entry you reference the visa number on entry card and they should give you a permission to stay stamp in passport that is good for one year.  When you leave after your 4-5 month stay your permission to stay stamp is no longer good but the original visa issued by LA consulate is still good provided it was multi-entry.  If you enter Thailand again before the end of the one year period on the LA issued visa you will get another 1 year permission to stay stamp.  Always reference that LA issued visa number when entering Thailand provided it is still valid when you enter.

Hope all this makes sense.

If run in with FBI resulted in felony conviction it might be a problem otherwise I think not.