Making phone calls in England

Hi,

When settling in England, one of the priorities is to be able to make phone calls.

How to proceed to get a landline installed in England?

What are the mobile operators?

What is your average monthly budget?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Maximilien

Hi there, you really don't need a landline if you have a mobile phone in England. I use vodaphone... if you are concerned about being able to make phone calls back to your home, you might find this article helpful: youngrubbish.com/2015/02/how-to-call-usa-from-uk-for-free-by-jess.html

I agree with youngrubbish ^^ There are mobile service with companies like Three., Vodafone and even really economic options like giffgaff. Initially I used giffgaff as this service was online and sent me a SIM card in the post. It was convenient as I needed a number, data and minutes upon arrival and it was easy to set up. It is as cheap as £5 per month for minimal use.
I currently use Vodafone but after some service issues will be switching to a plan from Three as soon as possible. There will be advantages and disadvantages to each one.

Most internet providers require that you have a landline in order to set up Internet and wifi. There is one that does not called Relish. Haven't used it yet but will soon as they promise to have the Internet installed next-day. With BT we had to wait 35 days for an 'appointment' which was really only waiting for the box to be sent in the post with instructions on how I needed to set it up myself. Oh England.....

We have a landline (via Plusnet, the cheaper brother of BT). Not sure how much we're paying but probably between £15-20 a month for line rental. Plusnet are as reliable as BT. With BT you also enjoy BT open Wifi, and BT Sport (essential for watching Chanpions League these days).

For international calls I use Skype Worldwide (£7.90 per month, free unlimited calls to landline anywhere in the world). For mobile calls abroad I use Skype Credit. Their rates are fair, but I'm sure you can get a better rate when you google on 'cheap calls abroad UK' or similar terms.

For mobile I have a Virgin SIM only, unlimited 3G, unlimited texts, unlimited national calls for £17 per month. I bought an iPhone 5 two years back and if it lasts 3 years then it's actually cheaper then taking a subscription with a phone. My subscription also includes calls to 0800 numbers.

The first time I tried to get a mobile phone, I didn't pass the credit check. No credit record means a bad credit record. Every time thye check and you fail, your record gets worse. This was at carephonehouse or similar High Street shop. I felt treated like a leper, having a job, being married, etc.  Fortunately, Virgin were quite understanding on the phone and I'm still with them. The network they use is EE and is really good in terms of coverage. Their customer service is also outstanding.

Do you mean England or the UK?