Car Rental and other expenses in Mauritius

Hello Everybody

i was exploring the forum, actually i have been offered to work in Mauritius for 6 months contract, i just want to ask what is the car rental prices (long-Term) for a good car ( in a good condition).

also, what is the cost of living there? i mean the daily expenses ( food, entertainment,.....

you help is appreciated.

Thanks.

HI
We paid around 35000-50000 for a three bedroom nice aprtment in Black River, we paid 23000 rupee for a 4 door, Toyota Sedan car with air ect.... I find produce and bread super cheap here, eating out is too if you find the local spots. I have yet to in a night club or that kind a thing, so don't know much about that. Beer is about 35 rupee for a liter bottle at the grocery store.
Hope this helps...
Mom

Hi mom2cc,

for the car I assume you paid 23k rupee/mth. Where did you get this rate? Could you provide me with your contact name, phone, website?

I am looking to rent a car for 2 mths and it is hard to get a good deal....

thx !

In regards to a car rental, you can find deals for long term car rentals for around 12,000 rupees per month for something like a Nissan March or a Toyota Vitz that are about three years old and in good condition.  10,000 rupees or less for a 5-10 year old car.

That being said, these are not through a proper car hire agency such as Hertz or Avis and are more informal arrangements that may or may not be entirely "legal" and may not have proper auto insurance coverage automatically.

These types of car hires are easily found once you get on the island, but you do run a certain amount of risk should you get in to an automotive accident while driving one. 

If stopped at a police check point, you'd have to say "I'm just borrowing the car from a friend" as opposed to it actually being a rental since the car would more than likely have black plates instead of the required yellow plates for proper rental cars.

There are a couple of proper local car hire companies that will do a proper deal for around 20,000 rupees per month with full insurance coverage etc.  I'll have to dig through some old emails and see if I can find the contact details.  I'll post if I can find them.

Thank you bunkoma,
waiting for contact details of these local companies.. hope you'll find them!!
greatly appreciated in any case.

Hi there,

If you are interested i can help you for a house on rental for around Rs 15 000 fully furnished and car rental for Rs 25000 monthly in the region of Trou d'eau douce where i am staying. I will be pleased to help if you are interested, please let me know

Thanks and regards