Passport help..

Hi peeps!

I'm an expat and i joined this blogspot to seek your advice. i have joined a company who required to "present" my passport. from what i understood in our interview was that they will only get the passport if the new employee becomes a regular employee. however that didn't happen and they got my passport. now i need the passport to renew insurance but the company won't take none of that because they are afraid that i am just using them for experience and will run away. now as per my job offer it is written that both parties can terminate the "contract" at will for any reason. now the company wont acknowledge that although it's plainly written in my job offer that they signed and stamped. and now they're also saying that i should pay them one month basic salary should i want to leave. now, i have been advised that i can just go and get another passport (claim it to be lost), but i am afraid that the employer will not do something good about my passport (example: going to police and telling them i stole from them or something)..

pls help, i'm really worried...

by the way, i have a dependent's visa.

ahhamm ahhmmm..confusing...I guess by today u will get all the answers ,As soom MM ,Salman,Allie or any of our Experts wake up :P

whoa.. I'm not an expert regarding this!  Wait till mm and Salman wake up!! :)

It is always better to try and mitigate the situation amicably and get your passport back without causing any undue friction or hostility.

Yes, you may be able to get a new passport from your embassy. Yet, would you be able to leave the country on it since it will not have any information about your entry into the Kingdom?

Try to negotiate a suitable way to get out of the situation by giving them one months notice and quitting and taking your passport along with you. N point beating your ahead against a brick wall in the sands.

jade_fox wrote:

Hi peeps!

I'm an expat and i joined this blogspot to seek your advice. i have joined a company who required to "present" my passport. from what i understood in our interview was that they will only get the passport if the new employee becomes a regular employee. however that didn't happen and they got my passport. now i need the passport to renew insurance but the company won't take none of that because they are afraid that i am just using them for experience and will run away. now as per my job offer it is written that both parties can terminate the "contract" at will for any reason. now the company wont acknowledge that although it's plainly written in my job offer that they signed and stamped. and now they're also saying that i should pay them one month basic salary should i want to leave. now, i have been advised that i can just go and get another passport (claim it to be lost), but i am afraid that the employer will not do something good about my passport (example: going to police and telling them i stole from them or something)..

pls help, i'm really worried...

by the way, i have a dependent's visa.

Negotiation is a better way than confrontation. Try to get the actual point why they need a month's salary if u want to leave or see if u can serve the notice period and go.

I have also had to hand my passport over to my employer - at any time I need it back for legitamit circumstances (banking,leave etc) I sign a declaration letter from HR department with reason for request and a date stated by HR for the passport to be returned to them. You must have the same letter in your HR department - try HR.

I agree, its always better to try to settle things amicably within the company. Try talking to someone higher upstairs in your company. If nothing comes out of it, the government I believe has set up offices to deal with these kinds of disputes.