Need infos moving to Queretaro

Hi,

I come from Montréal in Canada. My husband has an opportunity to work near Querétaro for at least two years. We have two kids : 12 and 14 years old. We didn't decide yet if we should accept the offer or not. I have never been to Mexico and I am a little bit afraid to take such a big step with two kids. I know there has been some violence in Mexico and near the american boarder but I also read that Queretaro is peacefull and secure.

I also need to find more informations about the schools : I check on the net but didn't find much.

Finally, I would like to know if there a lot of people from Québec in Queretaro

Anyway, I have so many questionsp about Queretaro, I don't really know where to start. Please help me make up my mind. (sorry for my English)

Hello there Isalaf,

Welcome on board  :)

I created a new topic on the Mexico forum from your post so that you may get some advices/infos on Queretaro.

As you are looking for infos about a specific region, i will leave it to the members to enlighten you.

All the best,
Bhavna

Querétaro is safe. We went there to catch a plane from our home 2 hours away to Cancun on American Thanksgiving and arrived very early that morning, the Thursday, and ate in the best restaurant at the airport and saw dozens of Americans and Canadians there waiting also and I talked to some of them. Some where speaking French. I have seen some Anglo looking people there when visiting Querétaro, which is often. Bombardier has plants there for their parts manufacturing. Some Canadian auto parts companies have manufacturing plants supplying Honda etc. in Querétaro, Celaya [beside Querétaro] and San Luis Potosi etc.

Be sure the company knows how and is willing to help all of your family get the correct resident visas

Two schools
http://www.jfk.edu.mx/http://isq.edu.mx/?lang=en

San Miguel is 45 minutes away where we live. We go to QRO often. It is one of the fastest growing cities in Latin America. Centro is European in some ways with the history, architecture, outdoor cafes. sophistication, pride of citizens. It is also clean and safe. Our daughter's pediatric dentist in QRO is excellent as is our dentist. JFK school is high caliber as are others. Health care is as good as Canada according to my Canadian husband. We both encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity as a family.

sincerely

Sonia

http://www.jfk.edu.mx

Hi everybody,

First I want to thank you for all your answers. It,'s really conforting and it's helping us a lot. If you think about anything else that we should know, good or bad, feel free to write it down. It is our first time away from home so it is a big thing!!!

Sincerely,

Isa

p.s. its 2 degrees in Montréal this morning brrrr... it's cold....

Hi
I am Mexican and I live in Guanajuato just 1 hr from Queretaro and I can tell you that Queretaro is a nice place to live, you will find whatever you want in terms of education for your children, security, places to visit, shopping etc and is near from San Miguel de Allende where there are a lot of people from other countries so you can feel as in home jeje..and the weather is also really nice always 28-30 celcius degrees
I hope my answer could help you
Regards
Gerson

Hi again,

If you think about what should my husband ask  to his employer besides health insurance before moving to Querétaro, feel free to let me know.

Everybody in the family needs a Visa and the company has to help get them.  Does company help find housing?

Yes the company is supposed to take care of all the papers, the insurance, the housing and also the school. I was wondering if we were missing something?

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm finally coming to Querétaro in December. I will visit the two schools you told me about, JFK and ISQ, but I was not able to get intouch with Lycée Jules-Vernes. Does anybody know if the school is open yet?

For what it's worth, I put my sons age 11 and 13 in a good private Mexican school in Saltillo in 1982.  There was no international school there at the time.  It turned out the best thing for them.  They learned Spanish real fast and made of lot of friends from good families.  They got to experience things they couldn't otherwise.

I guess one of your concerns would be that they night return to Quebec behind in French.  I can't speak to that.  They might be ahead in English though.  Something to consider just in case.

Ok, but what do you mean? What is the main concern? The education (courses, teacher, etc.), is it what's going on in the scoolyard, I don't know. Could you be more precise about what you don't like because I'm going to visit ISQ and I' m really considering that school. I  :) prefer to know the real thing.

Thank you ! :)

I have no experience in Queretaro.  I was just  suggesting that an experience in an all Mexican setting, not an international school, might be a better experience for your children.  That's all.  My kids returned to the US way ahead of their classmates in all subjects plus had a much better view of the world than even kids who had spent time abroad a setting where they were with Americans and other expats all the time.

Then I realized you're Canadian and Quebecois and that may make a difference in your priorities.

It was just a suggestion.

No, in fact I was asking that question to Gagbabu who told in his post that ISQ is not a good school and I was wonderwing why.

Thanks.

This new format seems less clear than the old.  It doesn't even line up to the top of the post indicated in the email notification.

Gudgrief, do you live in Mexico since 1982? I guess that mean that life is good there. I'm a bit worry, I never even been to Mexico. Tell me more about the good things that should convince me to take the big step!

I have lived in Mexico 82-85 and 2008 to present.
If you go in with an open mind and understand that you are in a foreign country, you'll find that you can make friends easily and enjoy cultural and tourist experiences unlike anywhere else.  You don't need much Spanish but learning a few phrases like please, thank you and can you help me I don't speak Spanish go a long way to getting people to go out of the way to make sure you're OK.

Mexicans are naturally courteous and helpful.  If you show an interest in them and their ways, you'll make friends and have people eager to make your stay as pleasant as possible.

Good to read!!

I've been to Queretaro only once for the 40th birthday of a friend's brother.
My overall impression was excellent.
It's rated as the best place in Mexico to live by a Mexican magazine.
Maybe the company will pay for a look and see visit.

Yes, I'm going there in two weeks to visit for a week with my kids. The girls are going to take admission test in schools.

My husband has been a few times to Querétaro et he thinks we will like it. It is a big step to make though. I must confess that I'm a bit afraid. The husband is going to work a lot, the kids will go to school so I have to do someting.... I will try to do volunter work to learn spanish fast.  I'm afraid to miss the snow, ski and all the rest of the family. But if I miss this opportunity, I think I will regret it.

The biggest thing for my family was that we found a very reliable day maid.  She helped my wife greatly with her Spanish and we were able to take trips on our own leaving our sons in her care.

If you hire a maid and are not satisfied, don't hesitate to let her go.  It may take 2 or 3 tries to find one that is just right for your family.