Libraries in Riyadh

Are there public (or even private) libraries in Riyadh? If so, are there any that have English, Spanish, and French books? I am still waiting for my iqama but hope to have it soon.  What are the regulations for non-Saudis? Could I get a library card in the meantime (am currently here on a work visa) or will I have to wait for my iqama?

Thanks for any help you can offer. :)

This is first thing i tried to find out when i reach here but could get it success. There r chairs for readers in Jarir Book Store u can quench your desire over there :)

There's a few (listed below) but I've heard that the selection is limited and all the books are in Arabic!

Good luck :)

Al Raddadi Library - 014932800 | 
Riyadh   Khurais Road

Public Dar Al Salam Library - 14043432 | 
Riyadh   Murabba

Sewaydi Public Library - 14251263 | 
Riyadh   Sweidy

King Fahad National Libirary - 14624888 | 
Riyadh   Ulaya

There is also a public library at the King Feisal Foundation on King Fahd Road which I am told is well equipped

The King Abdul Aziz public library near exit 13 is very good:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?hl= … 1785916789

I found it by mistake one day lol, I was driving around Riyadh bored and exploring, and I saw signs for the library. As I approached the library I saw a huge palace which I was told was King Abdullah's (perhaps his main palace, or just one of them). The library is next to it, it looks like a compound with tight security but you can simply walk through. There is a nice Indian man there (Omar?) who showed me around the library, they have abt half a million books of which 100,000 are in English. You will be surprised at their collection!

Unfortunately it doesn't seem women have access, unless at certain times.

Prince Panda wrote:

...they have abt half a million books of which 100,000 are in English. ...

Does anyone else have information on this library?  The only phone number I see published online is a fax number (01 402 0997).  Here's some info I found via Google:

The Centeral Talking Liberary:   Al-Dabab street - Al-Murabba' District

This is a voice library for the blind inside the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and outside. They provide audio books on cassette tapes and CD's on short notice. They are located on Al-Dabbab Street in Al-Muraba District next to the Ministry of Hajj.

Working 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.

Prince Panda wrote:

Well, that takes care of that.

The Google Map link and the library name in this post are different.  Mea culpa.

If anyone gives a crap, the library in the link is defunct and abandoned--so don't bother.  What a waste of a fine facility.

That said, it was fun to explore...until the maintenance guy showed up, his eyebrows knit with confusion and disconcerted despair.

I ran.  (Not really. I strode away with an air of knowing confidence.  Works every time.)

GreatLaker wrote:

(Not really. I strode away with an air of knowing confidence.  Works every time.)

Well done! :top:

Has anyone physically, been inside either of these libraries?  If yes, have you actually checked out an English-language title, taken it home, read it, and returned it?  (You know...like a library?)

If so, I'd be interested in any details you can provide about gaining access to their stacks.  If not, please save yourself the burden of typing.

My Kindle is dying.  Jarir is sad.*

1. King Fahd National Library
Street 26, Al Olaya
Riyadh 12211, Saudi Arabia
kfnl.org.sa‎

2. The King Abdul Aziz Public Library near exit 13
(mentioned earlier in the thread by "Prince Panda")

* Not sad about my Kindle's plight, but regarding its own general condition--including staff, hours, inventory, prices, etc.  Somewhere in Riyadh an intelligent child with a world of potential is weeping.

R.I.F.!

;-)