Moving to Riyadh

Hi guys, moving to Riyadh mid October as a spouse. Would like to hear from other spouses. We have signed a 3 year contract and have previously done a 3 year contract in Dubai. I am South African (via 10 years in London) and my husband is Texan (via a lifetime as an expat). Would like to meet some couples who have a 'if we have to be here, we will make it fabulous' outlook. We have a 13 month old daughter and a plucky sense of humor.

Welcome Christina. I am an educator in Dammam. I have lived in Riyadh before. Will you be living on a compound? Do you plan to work while you're here? As I understand it, spouses can not work but that could have changed since last I was there. (They were talking about changing it because many spouses where teaching while here. The government was checking visas and permits. It scared a lot of ladies into not showing up for work on those days) If you are living on a compound, they will have plenty of activities for you to do and plenty of oppurtunties to meet other spouses. If you are not living on a compound, you could knock on your neighbors' doors and invite them over as a meet and greet. Your neighbors could be from other countries and have young children and set up play dates. Hope this will be helpful.

Welcome and love the true expert spirit. Here's a lesson for moaners !