TEN THOUSAND!!!

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdcmXJquzkntJxO1TekNBzFBY5S-4gvCvJu8tL50_Ksr5XKErY

This is a very special day for me, it celebrates my 10,000th posting here on Expat-blog. I never believed that I would do 10,000 of anything in my life, let alone that many (mostly lengthy and complex) postings here. In addition to the topic postings I have also answered at least that many, if not more, private messages from other members seeking advice, information or help. You can probably imagine just how much time, effort and research that has involved on my part. It has been considerable, to be sure and what is more significant is that just like all of the other members of Expat-blog's Experts Team I am a volunteer. Yes, I'm just a regular member like all of you are, the only difference is that I have been invited to dedicate myself to helping you guys and given a title.

I don't know how many times someone has told me that I should leave the blog and set up my own business, selling the wealth of information and experience about this country that I've gained over the years. They tell me I'm crazy for not doing just that. Yet, here I am still giving that advice, information and help away freely to whoever asks. Why? You might ask. What do I get out of it?

The reason why I do this is because I can still remember how terrifying it was when I first came here over thirteen years ago now. Back then there was nobody to ask for information and advice. There were really no sources of reliable information about the frightening machine that is the bureaucracy in this country. There was nobody who had blazed the trail before me who was willing to help show me the way. Absolutely everything I had to do, I had to learn how to do through a process of trial and error (mostly error). Even the simplest things were a challenge. When Expat-blog came along and I found it I started to pass along the experience that I had gained. After a while I was personally invited by Julien, the owner of Expat-blog, to volunteer as “Brazil Animator” which was the title we had at that time. I realized that this was my chance to really help lots of other expats and I vowed that I would do whatever it takes to help prevent others from making all the mistakes I did, to give them the benefit of all the information that had never been available to me when I first arrived here, and to guide them through the complex bureaucratic processes this country is famous for. In looking back, I am satisfied that I have truly and faithfully fulfilled that vow I made.

What do I get out of it? Well in financial terms nothing at all, I'm an unpaid volunteer. The rewards that I get aren't measured in dollars and cents; in fact they can't be measured at all because there are just so many of them. The satisfaction of knowing that I'm making a difference for so many people, that I'm someone who they can turn to and depend on for accurate information, sound advice and assistance that was never available in Brazil before. The joy of hearing from numerous members I've helped that they've finally gotten married and sorted through the permanency process and now are happily living their dreams of a lifetime. The knowledge that for some my information, advice and assistance has allowed them to flee from countries ravaged by civil unrest or terrorism and to find sanctuary here in Brazil, how can I put a dollar value on something like that? The pure rush of pride (and sorry I know that pride is one of the 7 deadly sins) I get when I receive a private message from members telling me just how much I've helped them, that they couldn't have done it without me, and how truly grateful they are. That's got to be the greatest ego booster and shot of adrenalin that there is. It's a legal high. That's what I get out of it, and what keeps me here doing it for free. And Lord knows when you're talking about Brazil in terms of expatriation you need all the help you can get.

I also thank all of you, who are here contributing to Expat-blog too. Each and every one of you are important and you all help to make a difference for our other members every time you share your expat experiences. No contribution is too small, so don't think that what you have to say isn't important; it most certainly is. You don't have to spend hours researching anything just share the information and experience you pick up along the way. Every bit of it helps somebody, somewhere. Together we make living in Brazil a whole lot easier, and you know what? I actually think we have a heck of a lot of fun here doing it. Now I'll get started on my next 10,000 postings... até logo gente.

Cheers, 
James   Expat-blog Experts Team

Congrats on your 10,000th posting Mr. James, and super super thanks for all the help you have provided to me!  Looking forward to a party on your 20,000th posting :)

Don't know if I'll be able to afford a party.....

There is a vicious rumor floating around that Julien (our founder) is thinking about charging me RENT, because I virtually live here!  :lol:

If he does, I'm toast cause I'm here 24/7 and I'm just a poor old English teacher after all. kkkkkk

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Awesome! Thanks for everything you do, it has really helped me prepare for my transition. Your wealth of knowledge is epic and very valuable to us new expats.

You're gonna give me a big head if you keep it up Craig.  :lol:

Don't want an Expert with an "epic" ego problem now do you?

Cheers,
James

Congratulations, James! Thank you for your time and devotion to this blog! The information in your posts has proved invaluable to me and to many others!  :top:

That's exactly why I'm here Victoria. We've got the cards all stacked against us here in this country, and the bureaucracy is insane... somebody has to help or this leaky boat we're all in together is gonna sink!

It's very gratifying that my experience gained through years of struggling with the big "red star" bureaucratic machine is helping everybody that has followed behind me.

Cheers,
James

Thanks for all your help James

You know for the longest time when I used to just pop in here quickly , it used to say "Brazil Animator" on your posts
I thought you were an actual Animator! ....like your profession was computer animator

You're not the only one... that's why the title eventually got changed. People weren't to sure about taking advice from CARTOONISTS.   :lol:

Still not too sure of the title Experts either, I felt that would lead members to expect perfection from us, but so far we haven't had too many problems with that.

Cheers,
James

Well done James
10,000, and more by now,
thanks for your help from every one
you know you need to get "out of a evening" and away from the computer
meany thanks

10,000....a reasonable start

I thought so too, my friend! Now that I've gotten warmed up just watch me go.