I need help about the offer to work in Malaysia- 3500RM enough?

Hello everyone,

I'm Nick from Indonesia. I got an offer from Malaysia Company to work at Menara Ta One. Could you help me find the accommodation?

The salary will be around 3500RM. Is it enough to live in Malaysia?

Thanks before.

Regards,

Nick

Hi nick if u aslk me accomodation in k.l is expensive.but if sharing its ok.if a room usualy 400.think about it carefully before making any decisions k.usha

Thanks for your info, Usha. So is it a good offer?

Hey Nick,

This consider a good offer with RM3.5k, but try not stay within KL area due to the accommodation expenses is higher. You may look into the nearby area such as Titiwangsa, Ampang, Pandan Jaya, Maluri.

Hi Hann,

If I live around that areas, how about the transport? Is it easy to find one?
Also,  from another thread, I found that for foreign employer, usually the min salary is 5K. Is it true?

Nick - not a good offer. End up you won't have savings after accommodation (room rental), transport and food.

Hi Nick,

Transport wise you may take the train or subway as Menara TA ONE is in the heart of the city, which mean mostly all the transports can be travel to there.

It depends on what is the job position and how skillful you are. I can said RM3.5k is the lowest for foreign employee, it might can be up to RM10k per month as I said depends on what position you are. Or would you mind share to us what position they are offering to you?

Hi Hann,

The position is account officer for Indonesia market.

I've been an IT manager here for 6 years but planning to switch career. Need some new challenge so I applied for this job.

The recruiter already told me that this is like a low level job but with a chance for growing up within the company.

My main focus is the experience although if we want to talk about the salary, my current salary here is much higher. But like I said before, I'm looking for some new challenge.

Can I name the company name here? So I get some info about the company too

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : publicity not allowed on the forum. Please drop adverts in Housing section

Im a malaysian..i can say for sure 3500 is not a good offer for expat..however it is considered okay for local fresh graduates..

Hi ikhwan,

The salary is 3500RM. But every 3 months there will be bonus based on performance. The company provides medical and hospital insurance. Working permit and flight ticket, paid by company. 2 return flights every year, paid by company.

So, I'm just wondering if I can survive with 3500RM? Oh ya, I forgot to add. I will stay in company accommodation so no need to rent a room

I still say it is not a good offer. Way too low for your experience. And if they say u have a chance to grow, how long would that be to achieve RM5,000.00 ?. 5 years?. The Company is giving u an attractive medical n benefits but thts normal n its even in the law 'Labour Act'. Pls check again. Anyways, good luck

Thanks June. And thanks others for all your opinion. Really appreciate it

Real peiple i know. Vietnamese 7k fresh grad plus one year experience indonsesian manager oil and gas 20k a month.

3.5 k is a joke. Locals cant live off that. Those i work with laugh at the idea.

3500, i would say no, i wouldnt accept it. Five or seven years ago, ok, not now.

Nick brought up a good point thats not talked about much. Nick says "room for future growth." Ok, you should know its highly unlikely you will ever advance or get a salary raise. Sure, nothing is absolute, but in general, people Ive known over time, your leaving salary is your starting salary. I feel angry on their behalf. I have a friend right now, full blown chartered accountant working inside a world-major IT company in KL who hasnt had even 1% raise in five years. Each year they give a new excuse why. It has nothing to do with her but how this all operates. She is quitting. Maybe some people do get raises and promotions but in general they dont. You have to consider, in five years, can I still accept RM3500? If you cannot, then try to find a higher starting salary because the starting salary is possibly all you will ever get. (excuse redundancy)

The salaried middle class professionals dont get paid well in Malaysia. Anyone with any sense sets own business up. It's a cultural thing and also the mentality that you pay low and quality doesn't matter. Who needs good accountants when corruption is rampant?

good offer ... take it... experience working in new country n culture is more important than the money... most commentators here dont know what they talking about... you cant bring wat you earn to Grave... work and then jump with that experience... dont look at money ..

On a more serious forum we have people asking if their 16,000 (16 thousand) accomodation allowance is enough. That is a monthly allowance

That person has a proper expat salary! Enough to make it worthwhile to be in malaysia