What do you like the most in South Africa?

Hi,

Living abroad, expats discover and enjoy a new environment.

What do you like the most in South Africa?

What seduced you when settling and living here?

Share with us your favorite part of living in South Africa and the reason why you enjoy your expat life here.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

You have access to a lot of industries dealing in various equipment at compatative prices, so you have more options. Thinks are also done quicker because of advanced technology.

The roads - the weather

When I arrived from England as a single man in 1973 it was certainly "The land of milk and honey". 

As a boilermaker there was an abundance of work. In fact, so much so that prospective employers would call me or (in those days) write to me with enticing offers.

Within two years I was married,buying my own home, running two cars and purchased a caravan. We holidayed every year and enjoyed many weekends at caravan parks.

Braais were the  order of the day.  No TV and an environment where people interacted.
"Bring and Braai" was unheard of and such a request would have been considered an insult. We could afford to provide the meat and drinks.

Crime was merely petty stuff. The theft of bicycles, gardening tools and the odd car radio. Thieves seldom entered a house and if so, only when the occupants were absent. Violent crime was a rarity.

Sadly, from the early nineties crime increased along with government misappropriation of funds ( a deeper subject not appropriate for this thread). .
In 1994 I was hijacked and beaten so badly that I spent five days in intensive care and endured several reconstructive surgeries.
Over the years my home has been burglarised several times. On the last occasion my life was threatened which led to me shooting dead one of the armed intruders.

In spite of the unfortunate incidents that encouraged me to leave, I still maintain a great love for South Africa and am grateful  for the wonderful experiences. However, I now live in Thailand where I can leave my doors open. I can go away on holiday without the need of a house sitter.There are no car guards at shopping malls. I can leave the engine running when I pop into a shop.

SA, formerly a great country, sadly abused by a few in power.

I mean south africa is nice country the road enviroment is clean I like south africa forum u helping people u advice people u have beutiful country too

the weather

I would like to say there are more positives then negatives in this country, I suppose its okay for foreigners but for us born and bred South Africans, I am finding it very difficult to stay in this country  :sosad: