What do you like the most in Japan?

Hi,

Living abroad, expats discover and enjoy a new environment.

What seduced you when settling and living here?

Share with us your favorite part of living in Japan and the reason why you enjoy your expat life here.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

I like the fact that I am not Japanese.

Let's see...

In no specific order:

The safety
You can go anywhere, at any time of the day/night, and there are very very very little change of you getting into trouble.
People "reserve" a seat in restaurants like McDonalds by leaving their wallet on the table before making their order. People sleep in the train, in fast foods, basically anywhere without worrying to be mugged. It is also much safer for women than many other countries I visited or lived in (let's say: France).

The convenience
This one is maybe more subjective, depending if you speak the language or not. But even you don't, you'll always find a convenience store open 24/24h where you can buy food, drinks, pay your electricity/gas/water bill, book a concert ticket, get a cup of coffee, read magazines, etc.

The food
After almost ten years here, I am maybe a bit less enthusiastic about japanese food per se, but at least in Tokyo, there is a huge selection of different world cuisines you could enjoy. Japanese people being picky on both quality of food and service, things tend to be top-notch, even for cheap options.
On the downside I think that there are less options for vegetarian/vegan/halal/kosher eating folks than in countries with a more mixed population.

...to be continued :)

behaviour of japanese is the most

WOW! There are so many things I like about Japan it is hard to boil it down to a few items. 

First and foremost I like the people.  I travel a lot and meet new people almost daily.  Even though I am still in the language learning stages I often seek out those who can speak a little English.  They are patient and most helpful.  Even with my permanent residency, I know I will never be thought of as anything but a Gaijin.  I have no problem with this, as I am not here to change anything about this society, but rather to join in. 

The second area is the food.  I have traveled all over the world and I can tell you Japan as some of the best food.  Besides being healthy, everywhere I go there is something new and tasty for me to try.  Our local mall features a different prefecture every week, so I can try all the great veggies, fruits, fish and meats that are offered throughout the country.

Third is the beauty of Japan.  For such a small nation you conveniently  have it all, mountains, oceans, nature, parks, museums, history and of course there is festival somewhere almost every day.   As a travel writer, I am backed up into next year with articles I want to write of places I have been in just the past 90 days. 

Fourth is the excellent transportation system.  Almost once a week I take a train to some remote part of Kanazawa prefecture to walk and explore.  Today, I visited Tsujido and walked to the FILL mall.  It was one of the few I have visited that reminded me of those in the states.  The trip was 334 yen and I walked back Fujisawa to take the train  home.  The bullet trains are fast, comfortable and the bus system, is excellent. 

I could go on, but for me living here is a privilege and I look forward to each new day's experience.

Safety. I love being able to walk anywhere by myself at night and not feel unsafe in the slightest!

Food and drink. YUM! Even for me as a vegetarian I find it easy to live here and has tasted a lot of delicious food. Also I love that soy milk is so popular! Banana soymilk is the best invention ever. Also, Chuhai is heaven.

The contrasts between big cities and the inaka areas. I love nothing more than exploring the streets of Tokyo at night, but at the same time I love going to school in a more remote areas where I'm actually able to go for long walks without having to walk behind 23346234 other people, haha.

The convenience. I love having mail delivered to my door, being able to pay my bills at konbinis, access to punctual public transport and stores that are open 24/7.

Japanese people and their hospitality and eagerness to help. Also, I love that I have made so many friends here based on shared interests rather than having no other people available. Haha, that sounds horrible, but growing up in a small town I was always to some extent the "weird" one.. not here. I'm now part of a very nice community.

aman rawat

Hi  I am aman rawat I am tandoori chef