A dumb idea.

Many of you leave me scratching my head. I have decided to take issues with your insistence on starting a business here. The main reason is because you have come to a third world country and you actually have the gall to think you are going to blaze a trail of riches and fortune.

I really don't mean to call you stupid or dumb but the idea is. I come from the United States of America. One of the most industrialized nations on earth. In America the government even sponsors a department called Small Business Administration. Where they give counseling and assist with business loans for individuals and small businesses that are wanting to expand or start up a business. With their expertise in business start up they inform the prospect of the pitfalls of starting a business. The main reason for this is because in America as well as all the other industrialized countries there is a 75% failure rate within the first year, 80% the second year, and 50% after the third year. Now that is in a country where there are safeguards and resources to help with this venture.

You my friend are in a country where the cost of living is so bad that a farmer with 20 acres of land can barely show a profit. The same goes for a farmer who has 2 to 3 hundred head of live stock. You must understand that you are not plugged in to the culture and lifestyle enough to make it in a business venture. There is a reason this country is considered a third world country, or if you want to be nice and say a developing country.

I have identified the type of individual who will come here and actually think he can become Bill Gates. He's the average JOE who worked 30yrs as a simple employee. He has retired now and because of the cost of living in his home country he came here because his money can go farther. I understand that, but because he's patted on the back by the locals and told, "HEY JOE, YOU'RE RICH". This somehow goes to his head and instead of relaxing and enjoying his retirement he jumps up and decides to start a business... Dahhhh, not very smart.

He also makes an even bigger mistake by going into business with a local.... Whoa, seriously dude? The mindset of a local is fast money. For a business to grow you have to invest constantly in it and not expect any return for atleast two years. That won't work out well here because these folks can't even wait long enough to butcher a pig. They hack it up bone and all then cook and eat. No time for food preparation, its slaughter then eat. You stop at an intersection and they guy behind you will try and go before you thus causing an accident and he will have all his kids in the car. Everyone is in a hurry. So the idea of starting a business and having a guy from here as your partner is not very good because he is only interested in money NOW. I'm going to be buying several pigs because I love ham. They don't have CURED APPLEWOOD SMOKED HAM here. My Pinoy friends asked me how long it took to cure the ham I told them 4 to 6 months and 20 hours to smoke it and they turned their noses up at that idea.

Understand, this is a mindset and try as you might you are not going to convince anyone here to work their butt off for little to no pay in hopes of getting a return years later. Not going to happen. If you want to keep busy here then become a tutor or volunteer at the hospital.

In my case, I will have a few pigs. Maybe a dozen or so. I will feed them and even hire someone to help me care for them especially when I want to travel. At no time am I going to try and recoup that cost. I'm only going to use the ham, bacon, and loin. The rest I will sell or give away. If I sell the remains it will be to buy feed or because I don't want to give the neighbors the idea of free ANYTHING.

That's the mindset I wish to pass to you JOE because what will be your future is sitting at the Airport headed back to your home country with a bitter taste in your mouth. That can be avoided if you refrain from playing BIG SHOT with your in-laws and please don't think anyone here is your friend. Your ATM access is why they call you friend.

I've never understood why a person would come to a poor country and think he can strike it rich. If you lose only half your money in a business venture consider it a WIN...

Sirrobcentral, Really enjoyed reading your post and it brought a smile to my face. I agree with all you stated wholeheartedly.

Yep great post.

For me I don't know how to run a business in Australia.  So nothing would have me thinking I could run a business in the Phillipines .

and what exactly makes it your business what other people do?  im sure they are old enough to do what they want and if you want to tell them i told you so afterwards -then so be it   -other than that best to mind your own business .

greenetravel wrote:

and what exactly makes it your business what other people do?  im sure they are old enough to do what they want and if you want to tell them i told you so afterwards -then so be it   -other than that best to mind your own business .

Your not making any sense. You say I have the right to tell them I told you so, yet you are saying I should not tell them so...SERIOUSLY???

My grandma always said: If you step on a monkeys toe he will holler

This apparently hit home with you because I wrote this with compassion and care.

so what if you care  -are you saying you have the right to tell people what to do ?  your post makes it seem like you know it all and everyone should listen to what you have to say  -seriously?

in my opinion      should always remember ....if you living in philippines     you are in philippines.......in philippines everything go to philippines way     and you can not change it ........you are still in philippines

greenetravel wrote:

so what if you care  -are you saying you have the right to tell people what to do ?  your post makes it seem like you know it all and everyone should listen to what you have to say  -seriously?

I don't think the OP is issuing an order; more making a strong suggestion.
He's very probably right in his opinions, assuming that interesting country is anything like Indonesia in attitude, and it sounds a lot like it is.
If you don't have much working cash, and no reserves, instant profit is what you want, and long term isn't even thought about.
That'll do exactly what the OP describes.

Am I right?

sirrobcentral wrote:

Many of you leave me scratching my head. I have decided to take issues with your insistence on starting a business here. The main reason is because you have come to a third world country and you actually have the gall to think you are going to blaze a trail of riches and fortune.

I really don't mean to call you stupid or dumb but the idea is. I come from the United States of America. One of the most industrialized nations on earth. In America the government even sponsors a department called Small Business Administration. Where they give counseling and assist with business loans for individuals and small businesses that are wanting to expand or start up a business. With their expertise in business start up they inform the prospect of the pitfalls of starting a business. The main reason for this is because in America as well as all the other industrialized countries there is a 75% failure rate within the first year, 80% the second year, and 50% after the third year. Now that is in a country where there are safeguards and resources to help with this venture.

You my friend are in a country where the cost of living is so bad that a farmer with 20 acres of land can barely show a profit. The same goes for a farmer who has 2 to 3 hundred head of live stock. You must understand that you are not plugged in to the culture and lifestyle enough to make it in a business venture. There is a reason this country is considered a third world country, or if you want to be nice and say a developing country.

I have identified the type of individual who will come here and actually think he can become Bill Gates. He's the average JOE who worked 30yrs as a simple employee. He has retired now and because of the cost of living in his home country he came here because his money can go farther. I understand that, but because he's patted on the back by the locals and told, "HEY JOE, YOU'RE RICH". This somehow goes to his head and instead of relaxing and enjoying his retirement he jumps up and decides to start a business... Dahhhh, not very smart.

He also makes an even bigger mistake by going into business with a local.... Whoa, seriously dude? The mindset of a local is fast money. For a business to grow you have to invest constantly in it and not expect any return for atleast two years. That won't work out well here because these folks can't even wait long enough to butcher a pig. They hack it up bone and all then cook and eat. No time for food preparation, its slaughter then eat. You stop at an intersection and they guy behind you will try and go before you thus causing an accident and he will have all his kids in the car. Everyone is in a hurry. So the idea of starting a business and having a guy from here as your partner is not very good because he is only interested in money NOW. I'm going to be buying several pigs because I love ham. They don't have CURED APPLEWOOD SMOKED HAM here. My Pinoy friends asked me how long it took to cure the ham I told them 4 to 6 months and 20 hours to smoke it and they turned their noses up at that idea.

Understand, this is a mindset and try as you might you are not going to convince anyone here to work their butt off for little to no pay in hopes of getting a return years later. Not going to happen. If you want to keep busy here then become a tutor or volunteer at the hospital.

In my case, I will have a few pigs. Maybe a dozen or so. I will feed them and even hire someone to help me care for them especially when I want to travel. At no time am I going to try and recoup that cost. I'm only going to use the ham, bacon, and loin. The rest I will sell or give away. If I sell the remains it will be to buy feed or because I don't want to give the neighbors the idea of free ANYTHING.

That's the mindset I wish to pass to you JOE because what will be your future is sitting at the Airport headed back to your home country with a bitter taste in your mouth. That can be avoided if you refrain from playing BIG SHOT with your in-laws and please don't think anyone here is your friend. Your ATM access is why they call you friend.

I've never understood why a person would come to a poor country and think he can strike it rich. If you lose only half your money in a business venture consider it a WIN...

Well I must admit there are some valid points here.

greenetravel wrote:

This I don't quite understand. This is a blog which means you can expect that much of what is posted is opinion. Of course, opinion supported by real examples is best. The original post meets that basic qualification which most other posts don't. It just seems to me that if you don't like a person's opinion counter with your own examples. But these kinds of posts only add nose to the conversation. Obviously, noone's opinion here is stopping anyone from doing anything, so why bother commenting unless sharing your own opinion and examples.

sirrobcentral wrote:
greenetravel wrote:

Your not making any sense. You say I have the right to tell them I told you so, yet you are saying I should not tell them so...SERIOUSLY???

My grandma always said: If you step on a monkeys toe he will holler

This apparently hit home with you because I wrote this with compassion and care.

For me any ones view is an important way to learn, if I take the information or not, it is up to me.

I joined this site to learn, and to try and pass on my experience so that any one else who would like to hear my experience may also take what I post, or they have the right to ignore it.

thanks for starting this post sirrobcentral, keep up your posts.

I'm Filipino and for foreigners to succeed in business here in the Philippines, don't start your own business unless you know the people you're co-partnering your business with. I suggest you invest in existing businesses, instead. Find the good ones by building connections with trusted Filipinos. That's the key. :)

jasonswits wrote:

I'm Filipino and for foreigners to succeed in business here in the Philippines, don't start your own business unless you know the people you're co-partnering your business with. I suggest you invest in existing businesses, instead. Find the good ones by building connections with trusted Filipinos. That's the key. :)

Thanks Jason, that is great advice. There are plenty of good Filipino businesses that could expand if they had working capital. I'm sure that there are some retired management people out there who can lend experience and capital out there.

It is not a dumb idea if you think everything through and if you set very realistic goals.There is nothing wrong with pushing your luck by setting up a business to cater to a market overseas (Philippines).

MaroBautista wrote:

It is not a dumb idea if you think everything through and if you set very realistic goals.There is nothing wrong with pushing your luck by setting up a business to cater to a market overseas (Philippines).

Nothing wrong as long as you have the money to lose.  And that applies to all businesses, not just the ones in a country where you don't know the laws, the rules, the people, the way of doing things, etc.

Yes, that's the bottom line. Know your market (or lack thereof), be prepared for success or failure. No matter the country.

jasonswits wrote:

The problem with your statement is who can you trust...Perhaps you have a formula for finding honest Filipinos?? I find it difficult with all the corruption, lying, stealing, conniving, scamming, contracts which aren't worth the paper they were drawn up on, etc...

I  totally disagree, here the deck is stacked against you from the start. Small business have a hard enough time without all the nonsense that goes on here. I am especially talking about dishonesty,  People stealing everything but the clothes you are wearing, I will take my chances in a country where I know the laws and how things are done.

madhatter868 wrote:

I  totally disagree, here the deck is stacked against you from the start. Small business have a hard enough time without all the nonsense that goes on here. I am especially talking about dishonesty,  People stealing everything but the clothes you are wearing, I will take my chances in a country where I know the laws and how things are done.

From my experience, dishonesty and systemic corruption are the major hurdles to economic growth here. For example, have you ever tried to rent a place here? Most of the time the landlord is asking for many months rent in advance which is unheard of in advanced societies. Why do landlords do this? For one, landlords don't trust their own attorneys if they have to take tenant to court, attorney gouging them for more money to do little to nothing. Also, they don't trust the court itself, which often wants bribes for a favorable decision. Now if a native born Filipino doesn't trust his/her own system, why should an outsider i.e. foreigner.

Here is a real example of dishonesty. I moved into a new condo. I used an agent. I did sign a 1 year lease and paid in advance. However, the landlord did not pay the agent their commission. So now am stuck in a dispute between the agent and the landlord for a months rent in commission.

dhnindc wrote:

Here is a real example of dishonesty. I moved into a new condo. I used an agent. I did sign a 1 year lease and paid in advance. However, the landlord did not pay the agent their commission. So now am stuck in a dispute between the agent and the landlord for a months rent in commission.

An agent gets paid only by the landowner. A broker gets a commission from both parties.

It's not your problem. The actual owner rarely shows a property. Haven't you noticed when looking for a place to stay there are 20 people trying to show it to you? That's because they know that the owner has to pay commission.

AGAIN... NOT YOUR PROBLEM.

dldeleaf wrote:

From my experience, dishonesty and systemic corruption are the major hurdles to economic growth here. For example, have you ever tried to rent a place here? Most of the time the landlord is asking for many months rent in advance which is unheard of in advanced societies. Why do landlords do this? For one, landlords don't trust their own attorneys if they have to take tenant to court, attorney gouging them for more money to do little to nothing. Also, they don't trust the court itself, which often wants bribes for a favorable decision. Now if a native born Filipino doesn't trust his/her own system, why should an outsider i.e. foreigner.

An example lease wording for hose who haven't seen one, and may not believe this:

1. TERM. The LEASE shall be for a duration of one (1) year commencing from 1 January 2015, renewable at the option of the LESSOR at such new terms and conditions as may agreed upon by the parties.

2. RENTAL The LESSEE agrees to pay the LESSOR the monthly rental fee of Pesos: Twenty Thousand (Php 20,000.00), Philippine currency. Upon signing of this Contract of Lease. The LESSEE shall pay the LESSOR two (2) months' rental in advance covering the months 1 January 2015 to 1 March 2015. Succeeding monthly rentals be payable via post dated checks to be issued by the LESSEE in favor of the LESSOR.

sirrobcentral wrote:
dhnindc wrote:

An agent gets paid only by the landowner. A broker gets a commission from both parties.

It's not your problem. The actual owner rarely shows a property. Haven't you noticed when looking for a place to stay there are 20 people trying to show it to you? That's because they know that the owner has to pay commission.

AGAIN... NOT YOUR PROBLEM.

That's the correct theory of it, but maybe the Agent is trying it on with the foreigner, to try his luck at scamming him ?

But then again, maybe the agent passed the "Real Estate Brokers Association of the Philippines" exams and is a broker, and as such: "A broker gets a commission from both parties."

ABCDiamond wrote:
dldeleaf wrote:

An example lease wording for hose who haven't seen one, and may not believe this:

1. TERM. The LEASE shall be for a duration of one (1) year commencing from 1 January 2015, renewable at the option of the LESSOR at such new terms and conditions as may agreed upon by the parties.

2. RENTAL The LESSEE agrees to pay the LESSOR the monthly rental fee of Pesos: Twenty Thousand (Php 20,000.00), Philippine currency. Upon signing of this Contract of Lease. The LESSEE shall pay the LESSOR two (2) months' rental in advance covering the months 1 January 2015 to 1 March 2015. Succeeding monthly rentals be payable via post dated checks to be issued by the LESSEE in favor of the LESSOR.

It's possible I misinterpreted your reply, so I'm going to remove reply. No harm no foul if what you are saying it's possible. My mistake.

sirrobcentral wrote:

For a business to grow you have to invest constantly in it and not expect any return for atleast two years.

Very true. A new business owner should avoid making drawings until after two years, even if the business looks like it's already making a profit early on. Some people who go into business just don't accept it, and just spend away. It takes a lot of patience and belt tightening to build a company. You also have to have some other source of funds for the mean time for personal expenses.

In the past, I used to see a homeless man pass by our shop maybe once or twice a week. According to a neighbor, he's Nigerian. He was married to a Filipino woman, and they used to run a business. He said the guy put all his money in the business. The business was doing well at first. But he and his partners already made drawings early on, which is why the business lost momentum and failed. In the end, his wife left him.

I haven't seen him lately. Some say they still see him around our area, but he's slowly losing his wits. According to a person that the guy has once spoken to, he did ask for help from the embassy but they cannot help him go back to his home country because he doesn't have family back there.