Going back to his home country as he thinks Cebu is dirty

The school that I'm working for was supposed to have this student from Spain. He flew all the way from his home country only to say Cebu is dirty as it rained last weekend when he arrived. He left Cebu as soon as he got here. Wow! I know Cebu isn't as clean as many cities in Europe but isn't experiencing new things part of travelling and immersing yourself into the environment and the culture the place can offer? Expats, what's your opinion?

Not everyone wants to immerse themselves into a new country. 
Many just hear how cheap it is and expect it to be similar, so they move.
They want the same style of living but cheaper.

Then they find the truth.  And first impressions can have a massive effect.

I've known some British turn away from Australia, the same day they arrive, because it was too hot !!

We are all different. This person you mention, may be fastidious about cleanliness, and what he saw was not what he expected or liked, so decided against it.

Often I won't go outside when it rains, due to the smell that comes up from the drains or whatever in many places during the rain.  So I can understand that someone with extreme thoughts on this may want to leave.

Most of the Philippines is not exactly the tourist destination style that gets advertised.

jasonswits wrote:

He left Cebu as soon as he got here.

he's daft.
My first night in KL was rough, but I grew to love Malaysia.
A closed mind demonstrates stupidity.

Fred wrote:
jasonswits wrote:

He left Cebu as soon as he got here.

he's daft.
My first night in KL was rough, but I grew to love Malaysia.
A closed mind demonstrates stupidity.

He was too hasty to judge, actually. Let's say the guy has extreme thoughts and he acts immediately after experiencing something negative. It sounds to me that the place is not the problem. The issue is within him. People like him had better not go abroad. Just my two cents.

jasonswits wrote:

[ It sounds to me that the place is not the problem. The issue is within him. People like him had better not go abroad. Just my two cents.

Some people are too quick to judge.

What did he know about Cebu ? What had people told him ?  We have no idea.
Maybe some people painted him a great picture of this ideal beautiful clean place, but it was far from that.

Maybe the issue is with what some other people tell people ? 
He may just be young and naive, believing what people say.

I spent three months in Cebu before I left for a similar reason, he saved that time by going immediately ;)

ABCDiamon wrote:

I spent three months in Cebu before I left for a similar reason, he saved that time by going immediately ;)

Well, at least you still spent three months here. :D

jasonswits wrote:

But I wish I had done what he did ;)

I signed a lease and got stuck...

It's not only the young that are naive and believe what people say about places..

When people go on about how great a place is, they should specify more details.

Cebu for example is almost 5,000 sq kms, and consists of 168 islands and islets.  Metro Cebu itself is almost 1,200 sq kms, with Cebu City being 315 sq kms.

So when someone says Cebu is 'xxxx' whatever', what area are they talking about when they are giving people advice on their future?

Take this example of Cebu:
http://www.in-philippines.com/wp-content/uploads/fonte-de-versailles-tulay-minglanilla-at-investcebu.weebly-300x151.jpg
But the reality was a squatters area right next to where the beach was supposed to be, and the water was oily black, with floating rubbish. No sand, just a concrete wall
http://www.in-philippines.com/wp-content/uploads/Fonte-De-Versailles-1-300x169.jpg

Some people are told one thing, see the reality, and make a decision based on being conned ?

ABCDiamond wrote:
jasonswits wrote:

But I wish I had done what he did ;)

Our prospect wasn't young, anyway. He just happened to be finicky. :D

Hi,

The big cities are also dirty in Europe, and I never meet such clean people like filipinos, They take bath more times a day, always wash their hair, and always wear freshly washed clothes. They keep their homes always clean, they even dont enter the room with slippers or shoes. The first thing i could recognize when i returned to Europe is the smell of the people. Even in crowded jeepneys in very hot weather I never felt any bad smell.
Just think how many OFW works in hospitals or as babysitters, its becouse they have good hygienic routine which they bring from their culture.
I think it can be other reason behind his leave. 

P.S. : Can I replace him? :)

Endre82 wrote:

P.S. : Can I replace him? :)

Hi there! Thank you for your honest and fair observation. I teach English at an academy here but I think your English is perfect! We can still accommodate you if you want to learn more English, Tagalog, or Cebuano. :)

Endre82 wrote:

Just think how many OFW works in hospitals or as babysitters, its becouse they have good hygienic routine which they bring from their culture.

Mentioning OFW's is an interesting point. The fact that people are generally clean in themselves though has no bearing on the streets and rivers being dumped with rubbish, the men relieving themselves against walls in full view of people passing etc. ( and I bet that no one will Thank me for that honest and fair observation)

However, back to the OFW's.  Why do they go overseas to work, and leave their children behind for years, to be brought up by someone else.

This was a question I asked my wife and her relatives.  The answer was that providing money was more important to them, than being there with their children on a low income. But the more important reason was to give them any possible chance for their children to one day get out of the Philippines.

He doesn't know what he's missing.

anyone with half a brain should know that a city in a poor third world country is going to be much more dirty that a city in Spain - Jakarta, Calcutta, Karachi, etc will also be much more dirty than a city in Spain - one should know and accept this before making the trip to Cebu - i agree with the respondent who said people like this should stay home, and that the problem is within him and not with Cebu

I agree with the smell in the Philippines, but it does not come from the Filipino people who are amongst the cleanest people in the world, and it is not their fault that their country is polluted, as they are not educated on what are the causes of pollution, and the Government does not do anything to rectify it.
In my opinion the worst smells come from the foreigners who hardly ever shower, and have body odor that nearly makes me throw up, and sometimes I feel like telling them that they stink.
How many times do you see a Filipino woman nicely dressed, and clean, walking along with these stinking dirty grots who dont give a shit for how they look or smell?
When I go out with my wife I always shower and dress neatly, as she does for me, because I respect her and would not like for her friends to see her with a dirty smelly husband.  So next time you people that sniff the air, and complain about the smell, have a look around you and see what is causing it besides the pollution etc, and a lot of the time it will be nothing other than the dirty armpits of the foreigners.
The foreigners who get insulted by what I have said are the ones who stink, and my comments apply to them, and the ones that dont stink just have a laugh.  lol.
There are no excuses for being unclean, and a shower, or even a wash every day keeps the odor away, so wake up to yourselves the ones who stink, and take some pride, because pride cost`s nothing.

Aussie Dave wrote:

I agree with the smell in the Philippines, but it does not come from the Filipino people who are amongst the cleanest people in the world, and it is not their fault that their country is polluted, as they are not educated on what are the causes of pollution, and the Government does not do anything to rectify it.
In my opinion the worst smells come from the foreigners who hardly ever shower, and have body odor that nearly makes me throw up, and sometimes I feel like telling them that they stink.
How many times do you see a Filipino woman nicely dressed, and clean, walking along with these stinking dirty grots who dont give a shit for how they look or smell?
When I go out with my wife I always shower and dress neatly, as she does for me, because I respect her and would not like for her friends to see her with a dirty smelly husband.  So next time you people that sniff the air, and complain about the smell, have a look around you and see what is causing it besides the pollution etc, and a lot of the time it will be nothing other than the dirty armpits of the foreigners.
The foreigners who get insulted by what I have said are the ones who stink, and my comments apply to them, and the ones that dont stink just have a laugh.  lol.
There are no excuses for being unclean, and a shower, or even a wash every day keeps the odor away, so wake up to yourselves the ones who stink, and take some pride, because pride cost`s nothing.

HAHAHAHAHA. You nailed it, Dave! Foreigners who keep complaining about the Philippines should consider going back to their home countries as it's a lot cleaner there. :D

I live in Honolulu ... known for being one of the best places in the world to live.  I came to Cebu for the 1st time last April to meet a woman that I married and eventually divorced (long sad story) ... but I am thankful to her because I love Cebu and plan on living here 1/2 the time and Honolulu half the time.  As far as being dirty ... I do wish the Pinoy would take more pride in their land and countryside .. not just in their nationality and heritage

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : vulgar post

I live in Cebu City and cannot blame the guy for leaving

The place is filthy and strewn with trash - because the people drop everything every ware

The men urinate all over the place which is disgusting

Filipinos are the worst, most unfriendly neighbours and are only nice when they want something from you

I'm retired here but question the decision everyday

petehuk wrote:

Filipinos are the worst, most unfriendly neighbours and are only nice when they want something from you

Maybe you can use some quantifiers in your sentence so you don't generalize Filipinos. How about using "some" or "many" before the subject in your sentence? Thank you.

jasonswits wrote:
petehuk wrote:

Maybe you can use some quantifiers in your sentence so you don't generalize Filipinos. How about using "some" or "many" before the subject in your sentence? Thank you.

That's a classy post, showing the difference between silly stereotypes and the truth.
Excellent.

Hello everyone,

@jasonswits,

You asked for expats' opinions and you have been given some positive and negative ones. :)

So, can we say that we summed up on this particular subject ?

What can this thread further bring to expats ?

Best of luck,
Bhavna

Bhavna wrote:

Hello everyone,

@jasonswits,

You asked for expats' opinions and you have been given some positive and negative ones. :)

So, can we say that we summed up on this particular subject ?

What can this thread further bring to expats ?

Best of luck,
Bhavna

I'd like to suggest that any expat living in their host country respect the differences of living standards, culture, practices, and environment of the locals because after all, it's their choice to live in a country not originally their own. We can be honest with our opinions but at least be sensitive enough not to judge immediately. As an expat, do yourself a favor by giving yourself ample time to observe the country first before you finally jump into conclusion. That said, I've made my point and thank you for reading this. :)

jasonswits wrote:
Bhavna wrote:

Hello everyone.....
.....What can this thread further bring to expats ?

Best of luck
Bhavna

I'd like to suggest that any expat living in their host country respect the differences of living standards, culture, practices, and environment of the locals because after all, it's their choice to live in a country not originally their own. W:)

To answer Bhavna....the post above from Jason.
This excellent post tells a truth ALL expats should follow.

its not a perfect world , if you see with only your eyes life may well be
limited  ,

good luck on you next adventure

Hi everyone,

I have removed a couple of (super vulgar) posts from this thread ...

Not even worth the topic as it happens everywhere in the world. Subjective reports about this or that country/city are not worth the 5 cents of time to read it actually. Even very positive reports have to be taken with a pinch of salt. Maybe the reporter has met a few nice guys and partied all the time with them, or a girl, or some other experience which made his stay positive and overlook all the negative sides.
Then there are people which look for other forms of enlightenment as well, India and Nepal was very popular in the 70ties among the Hippie generation.(and may be still among some)
Also the person who claimed it to be too dirty, has suffered from a cultural shock (most of the time due to not being informed prior to his journey) and "see" dirt everywhere. Other plainly become paranoid or negative in general.

Key is - if you don't like it, just leave and let others be happy.

[img]https://www.google.mv/search?sclient=tablet-gws&site=&source=hp&q=pictures ofe badian cebu&oq=pictures ofe badian cebu&gs_l=tablet-gws.3...252.4764.0.10816.17.13.0.2.2.0.452.2109.0j4j1j1j2.8.0....0...1c.1.64.tablet-gws..7.7.1019.xbJEb1aUh8U#imgrc=kIDuVlLYcFVdWM:[/img]

Have you been to this place? of you haven't been to this place during your trip to Cebu then you missed the real Cebu...some people are just happy to give negative judgement and comments without even taking the time to explore. It's all the same everywhere... I dont think your friend ever flew that far and left off just like that..did he ever went there?

In my opinion, that expat has judged the area too quickly to see the good in it.

Every people have their own lifestyle. We are all different. But I can say that it's too hasty for him to judge Cebu without immersing himself in that place for few days without giving another week/day to see the real beauty in it.
I have traveled to different places and some are worst than Manila and Cebu. But immersing and your ability to adapt in the Place you are in is what makes you a real traveler & appreciate what the place can offer to their tourist.

Filipinos are among the cleanest people in the world!?!?!? This comment could only come from a Filipino. Much like "Filipinos are the greatest knife fighters in the world" or "Filipinos are the most Catholic people in the world", or "Its more fun in the Philippines" all came from Filipinos. It's great to have confidence but confidence without any evidence to support it, is really just dissembling or worse delusional.

Having traveled around the Philippines and witnessed the toilets without soap, garbage thrown casually in the street and in empty spaces, animals living in houses, kids playing in canals, men pissing wherever they feel the urge, and on and on......I can only say that if that's what you consider clean then clearly you have never left your barrio.

On the other hand, when I go to Palawan or Bicol and see how immaculately kept the streets are, I know that it's very possible to have clean communities in Phils. But of course it takes a strongman governor or mayor to enforce those standards. As soon as he's gone, it'll back to the shit.

My second day of living in Cebu I titled "What the heck were you thinking moving here". I think the culture shock hits most everybody at some time so you just have to wait it out. I felt like flying home with my tail tucked between my legs on the second day but I did get over it and liked the Philippines a lot.
As far as the people being clean that varies from person to person. I found Filipina's to be very clean (at least those looking for someone to date) and they like guys who also are clean. You can't paint the whole country with one broad brush stroke and say all are clean or dirty. I'm not Filipino but do have a lot of respect for the people. They are happy and very family oriented even though life hasn't been kind to them.

jasonswits wrote:

The school that I'm working for was supposed to have this student from Spain. He flew all the way from his home country only to say Cebu is dirty as it rained last weekend when he arrived. He left Cebu as soon as he got here. Wow! I know Cebu isn't as clean as many cities in Europe but isn't experiencing new things part of travelling and immersing yourself into the environment and the culture the place can offer? Expats, what's your opinion?

Each of us sees the world differently, likes, dislikes and expectations with regard to lifestyle and surroundings. He made a decision and acted upon it. No more, no less.

I recently had a friend visit with thoughts of moving to the Phil. He thinks our home is to small and our vehicle is to old. He wants more land, etc. He was critical of many things from the dentist to the grocery store and the traffic. He stayed three months and has returned to the States. Is he right or wrong, no, he simply made a choice that works for him.

My wife and I love the area we live in and the people we have come to know. Our neighbors are friendly and helpful and ask us for nothing. Our area is clean of litter and the homes are from simple to very nice and all taken care of. Things here are different than our home in the US as to be expected. For us it's home and we love it, for my friend, his peace is at his home in the US. To each his own and we like our dentist, the grocery store, our little house and our old car. Our happiness comes from the love we share, our surroundings are simply a bonus.

TeeJay4103 wrote:
jasonswits wrote:

Each of us sees the world differently, likes, dislikes and expectations with regard to lifestyle and surroundings. He made a decision and acted upon it. No more, no less.

I recently had a friend visit with thoughts of moving to the Phil. He thinks our home is to small and our vehicle is to old. He wants more land, etc. He was critical of many things from the dentist to the grocery store and the traffic. He stayed three months and has returned to the States. Is he right or wrong, no, he simply made a choice that works for him.

My wife and I love the area we live in and the people we have come to know. Our neighbors are friendly and helpful and ask us for nothing. Our area is clean of litter and the homes are from simple to very nice and all taken care of. Things here are different than our home in the US as to be expected. For us it's home and we love it, for my friend, his peace is at his home in the US. To each his own and we like our dentist, the grocery store, our little house and our old car. Our happiness comes from the love we share, our surroundings are simply a bonus.

Like anywhere I guess: once you find a way to find common ground with the locals, things are much better. While I've made some acquaintances, I've only made two friends who i think would actually watch my back. Some of the others have been helpful but many of the others have shown up with hands and pockets open looking for something.

I've gone through this thread again, deciding the person mentioned in the OP was wrong, but expanded the reasons why.

A couple of days isn't even close to enough time to get to know anything about a country, so leaving quickly was a massive mistake.

and/or....

Travelling to a country without researching a little in order to get an idea what the place is like is more than a bit silly, more so if you intend to spend a long time there.

Either way, the person concerned was in error.

Travel and extending your mind isn't for everyone, but travel with a dim or closed mind isn't for anyone.

EXACTLY!

Photoshop & Illustrator 'paints' a picture of paradise that simply does not exist (IMHO). Although property developers will insist otherwise :) haha...

I nearly spent $600,000 (USD) on a huge condo in Cebu 6 years ago. I visited the development last year (whilst holidaying on the island from Luzon) - the gym is a convenience store, the pool is half the original size, the 'water sports' nonexistent, the high security wall is a wire fence and the children's playground is a patch of bermuda grass??

And all from one of the TOP developers in the Philippines. Hmm.......

Thank the Lord I didn't commit and likewise decided to rent in the Philippines anyway. Any future issues - I can simply just MOVE. PHEW! :)

It is dirty and there are a lot of social problems.  The city could do a lot more to spruce it up.  Reminds me of the Dominican