Long Distance Calls NA

A friend suggested this product:

magicjack.com/6/index.asp

Has anyone tried it or any similar products?  Any thoughts!  My understanding is that in order to have a clear call connection,  one would need a high speed internet connection (1Mbps or above).  Can you get this speed @ home?

ya...i use it... depends wer do u wanna call....the calls are free to us, canada but i do call india too with this as my mom has got one too...me in hurry right now, if u wanna know more details abt how this works, i will let u know

Thank you shahab.ali...I will be calling family in the USA while in KSA (Inshaa'alla :), still waiting on our visas :rolleyes:)...I just want to make sure the calls are clear as it's pretty cheap.

yeah the calls are clear... depends on internet connection... actually the good part about it is that u will have a dedicated American number, so ur u can get incoming calls from there as well

I've got a high speed DSL connection and the magic jack connection is usually cr*p.  Reminds me of the early days of cellphones, when the calls keep breaking up.

However, it does have one big advantage and that is that friends/family can call YOU on your US number. It  functions as an answering machine and you get a voice mail in your email!

I then call friends back using skype, computer-to-phone, very clear, great connection and only $8/month to the States, unlimited calls.

Great!  Thanks for the heads-up Alliecat.  I din't know Skype now has monthly plans, I knew of the option to call Computer-to-phone and pay by the minute...but this should be wonderful :)

Rynga is even cheaper than Skype.
Go to rynga.com and check the rates.
There are countries that are totally for free. Not even a cent for a sec. ;)

and yes ,u can also go for voipwise.com and voipgain.com  it offers free calls to USA and so many other European countries

Nice thing about skype is that it includes both landlines and cell phones (many of these all inclusive plans charge for cells).

And always remember, you can TEXT the States (cell and landlines) from yahoo msg. for FREE for both parties!

Why worry about phones when everyone on the planet has a laptop with mic and speakers?

Alliecat,

Why are you subscribing to Skype? You can use it to make calls anywhere for free or do you get extra for your money?

If u want an alternative to magicjack, there are plenty. Befor magicjack, I used to use voipstunt and that's good as well. And if u can use proxies, google has a wonderful voip these days. I call americas free!

MaserMan wrote:

Alliecat,

Why are you subscribing to Skype? You can use it to make calls anywhere for free or do you get extra for your money?

Because I am referring to calling a PHONE from your computer using skype, not computer-to-computer.

And mm, my 84 year old mother doesn't have a laptop with mic and speakers :P  This is why I call her on the phone.

My 92 year old Mum back in Colombo has a laptop and she knows how to plug in with the help of my sis of course

Alliecat wrote:
MaserMan wrote:

Alliecat,

Because I am referring to calling a PHONE from your computer using skype, not computer-to-computer.

And mm, my 84 year old mother doesn't have a laptop with mic and speakers :P  This is why I call her on the phone.

Did not realise you could make calls to a phone, worthwhile knowing, thanks :top:

Skype is great - clear sound, good quality.

I use it to call home (UK) and am on the monthly package - unlimited calls to UK landline costs 3 GBP per month.

Yep, Skype is the way to go, but there are other computer-based ones out there.

Yahoo! has a new plan for calling phones, and they've upgraded Messenger so that video calls are clean and quick...uses less bandwith than Skype, so when Skype won't do the trick, Messenger might.

Also check out Google Talk, free calls to the US.  I've just become acquainted with this one through a colleague and it's all he uses for US calls now.

Thank you all for your feedback.  I guess, we can give MajicJack a try along with Skype.  We also considered Vonage, but it's too expensive compared to its alternatives.

My mother is not tech-savvy either, and she expects a phone call everyday from the grandchildren...yeah, and me of course ;)

amegy wrote:

Thank you all for your feedback.  I guess, we can give MajicJack a try along with Skype.  We also considered Vonage, but it's too expensive compared to its alternatives.

My mother is not tech-savvy either, and she expects a phone call everyday from the grandchildren...yeah, and me of course ;)

I weas told ACTIONVOIP is also a good software and a lot of people uses, which I am goind to try soon............