Is there a difference between landing a job in West and East Malaysia?

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if there's a difference between getting a job in West Malaysia and East Malaysia?
Like in Kuching, Miri, Sabah etc....

Thanks upfront for your feedback.

Best regards,

Jo

Yes. Loads especially lifestyle. And legally separate so work permit in one not valid in other etc.

Thanks for your reply Nemo.
May I ask you to elaborate on the differences Nemo?
Is it easier to find a job in E Malaysia instead of W Malaysia?

that depends on your qualification. East Malaysia would be in the sectors of IT, Construction, Telecom & Energy. industries.

whereas West Msia, your chances are higher, because the industries there are broader.

gr8fren wrote:

whereas West Msia, your chances are higher, because the industries there are broader.

Thanks for your reply gr8fren,

I'm more interested in finding a job in E M'sia, seeing my girlfriend already lives there.
My qualifications are more in the Military(16 years)field and have a Masters degree in Business Engineering.
But seeing I lack the exp in bizz engineering, that won't be an option I guess.

you can try this link www.jobstreet.com.my
I hope it helps your job hunting.

Thanks for the link gr8fren  :)
I will check it out.

Joput you are most welcome. I hope you find something. :)

I hope so  :) , thanks again

I know So,
stay positive,
:top:

Hi I meant lifestyle is obviously more rural but some love that. Major employer of course oil and gas in east Malaysia.

Thanks Nemodot,

Yes I noticed that while being in Miri.
Oil and gas are the main resources there.

And I actually enjoyed the rural part of Kuching.

Hi, What about MM2H visa?  Would that also be different. I was about to apply but actually although I spend long time in KL the gf is from Borneo, her family are all over Borneo and maybe we will move there. Any thoughts on that? Thanks, Jamie.

Immigration law in Sarawak & Sabah is different from west Malaysia.
what applies in W.Msia doesn't in Swak & Sbah.
MM2H
Financial requirements are:
■Applicants aged below 50 years are required to show proof of liquid assets worth a minimum of RM500,000 and offshore income of RM10,000 per month
■Applicants aged 50 and above may comply with the financial proof of RM350,000 in liquid assets and off shore income of RM10,000 per month.
Applicants applying directly are required to fulfill the security bond condition. Please refer to Personal Bond for rate per person by nationality, ranging from RM200 to RM2000.00.
and you need medical report and medical insurance too.

OK, that's the same as here in KL.  Thanks for that.  One more question even the local travel agents don't know...is there a ferry across to KK or any other port from peninsula Malaysia? I mean a full size ferry that I can drive onto with my car?

send your vehicle to port klang for shipment to KK. you will be taxed accordingly.
There is no ferry service from any ports in West Msia to Swak & Sbah.

Ouch!  I should speak to my friend Nick Sanders who is multi-world-record holder for travelling around the world.  I never work out how he gets his cars/motorbikes etc. through borders.   Presumably if I just want to have my car in Borneo for a short while I can ship it tax free from Klang?

MANXMONKEY wrote:

Ouch!  I should speak to my friend Nick Sanders who is multi-world-record holder for travelling around the world.  I never work out how he gets his cars/motorbikes etc. through borders.   Presumably if I just want to have my car in Borneo for a short while I can ship it tax free from Klang?

Nope. shipment of car would be under custom duty. Tax is charge according to your vehicle type, make, model, etc

No way does Nick pay customs duties when he goes around the world. There must be a way around it for tourists. You don't have to pay duty driving into Singapore and that's a completely different country.

Well, this is not a ferry service. Just to give you an idea, for a myvi car,
to ship a car from Port Klang to Sabah by x vessel ( you need to know how to DISCHARGE) . You will need to collect the car from Kota Kinabalu Port (VTC)Vehicle Transit Centre. And you self drive it to your destination. If this is the shipping option. It may cost you more or less RM3000 only.

I'll hide in the boot!  But then can I be treated like a tourist, just drive throughout Borneo for a couple of months and then return to KL?  My cars are both considerably bigger than a Myvi though so a bit more.  Out of interest I keep a motorhome in Europe and when I take a long ferry trip I stay inside in comfort. It's not legal nowadays but if I'm going to drown I'd rather drown in comfort!