Checking in - planning to relocate to St. Kitts

Hi all Just joined the blog. I was Born in St. Kitts but never lived there. left with my Family way back in 63.

Odd situation for membership on an Expat.com but cant help but feel that I would be seen as an expat having never lived there.

Have some family friends on Island but no Family ties.

I live in Bermuda and know first hand some of the challenges that the expat community can face.

My wife and I have the opportunity to relocate to the island and are starting to look into what those logistics might look like.

I will look through the different topics and hope to connect with those that have made the move.

Thanks,
   Owen.

As you probably know a large percentage of Bermudians trace their roots to St. Kitts and several that I know have claimed  St. Kitt's citizenship through their parents who had were St. Kitts citizens back when it was a British colony.  They have now built beautiful houses in St. Kitts and spend the winters in St. Kitts and half the year in Bermuda..  You are also familiar with those cold damp winters in Bermuda.  To me, a Canadian, the winters in St. Kitts are perfect.

There is a world of difference between St. Kitts and Bermuda.  You are talking from going from one of the most expensive, highest standards of living in the world to an island with a significantly lower standard of living.  However this means your money goes a lot further.  Everything in Bermuda is neat, well groomed, finished, nicely paved roads and sidewalks, walls and freshly painted stone houses with their brilliant white stone roofs .  St. Kitts is rougher.  However on the plus side, unlike Bermuda, they usually have plenty of fresh water because of the high mountain and its rain forests. 

The expats in Bermuda are made up of a lot of highly paid lawyers, accountants and actuaries serving the several thousand off shore companies in Bermuda who are there for tax reasons.  They are usually Canadians, Brits and Americans on short term permits. The expats in St. Kitts have a much lower profile and are probably from another West Indian island and are more likely to be running small businesses.

St. Kitts is a small, laid back island whose citizens tend to be polite, quiet and proud.  I always feel safe there, as I do in Bermuda.  My wife says it reminds her of the way Bermuda used to be in the fifties and sixties.  It has a few really good restaurants, internet, movie thatres, grocery stores, etc.  The beer and local rum are cheap and good.  Wine is expensive. Sometimes you can't get fresh milk or other things until the container ship arrives.  The medical care and hospital are  good but like Bermuda you may have to go off the island for something serious.  This usually means going to Barbados or Puerto Rico.

Hope this helps you
IAN

Thanks Ian,
Always good to get another's perspective, especially one who is familiar with Bermuda. I do hold a Kittitian passport through my Birthright. My parents did the move to St. Kitts from Bermuda about 20 years ago, my Dad to retire with my step Mom continuing to work for a few more years until she retired. They have both passed now, the bitter sweet legacy left to me is a property there that I have rented out at the moment.
I am a (Bermuda) nationally certified electrician and my wife is a senior manager tax accountant for one of the big four. As you can guess it is a tough choice. We both have good jobs here earning enough to survive in Bermuda, the pull is the chance to live in our own home in St. Kitts & not have to pay a rent in the region of $3000 pm.
I have a lot of home work to do as far as what the job market might have for the both of us, what our earning power might be in St. Kitts, as we will have to work not to mention just the simple task of moving!
Thanks again, I will continue to research and hopefully get a plan together .
   Regards,
   Owen.

Hi Owen:

Hi Owen:

St. Kitts needs electricians.  Unlike Bermuda there is a lot of new construction going on in the island and more planned.  Their economic citizenship program has been successful in creating economic opportunities in the construction trades. I have seen great progress and changes in the last 10 years. Yes the wages may not be as high as Bermuda but the costs are significantly less.

Your wife might want to contact the Eastern Caribbean Monetary Authority that is headquartered in St. Kitts.  They might be very interested in her knowledge and skills. There are also some major accounting firms there that might be interested.

Bermuda's political wars between the PLP and the OBA seem to just go jn circles and nothing ever seems get resolved or moving forward.  I have traveled the world and it is one of the most beautiful places in the world but it is a little too uptight, rigid and conservative.  You might find living in St. Kitts very liberating.  It is more wide open.  They do not have that Bermuda arrogance that they are still the destination of choice for the world's very wealthy.  St. Kitts is out there trying to attract tourists any way they can.  Some days with 10,000 tourists off the cruise ship looking for a good time on the island you know you aren't in Bermuda.  It is not as sophisticated or as neat and trim as Bermuda but  the Bermudians who now live there quickly adjust to the  laid back island life.

The winters are sure a lot better. Although it doesn't snow in Bermuda. That winter cold there makes my bones aches.

I gather you must be into your fifties.  Retirement is not that far off.  Trying to survive in Bermuda if you do not own your property is going to be a real challenge.  The rents, health care and all other expenses are horrendous.

I think you worry too much about the expat thing.  St. Kitts needs skilled people and there is not that constant underlying antagonism that you get in Bermuda the the expats are taking all the good jobs away from Bermudians.  St. Kitts wants expats to come, invest and help develop the island.  Furthermore, you really are not an expat  since you already have citizenship.

See you in St. Kitts.