Working/living in iceland, is it achievable?

hi all,

im 21, from the UK. ive been attracted to the idea of working and living in iceland for a while now, recently ive been spending countless hours researching as much as i can, but i just cant seem to find the info i need.

im confused as to what to do and where to look, i dont really have a specific job skill that is needed in iceland, i have experience in the hospitality industry and was searching for hotel or restaurant jobs. but i would take anything that is available given the chance.

from what ive learned if i wanted to find work over there then i can get temporary residence but then i would have to make sure i could find a job to support myself, and i wouldnt know where id stay whilst i was looking for work. ive also read though that having temporary residence doesnt lead to permanent residence. so even if i did find work then i wouldnt be able to legally stay in iceland permanently would i?

i just need a little advice and direction, if anyone could guide me through some simple steps or give me some tips to get me closer to my goal of settling down in iceland i would greatly appreciate it.

as an EEA citizen you don't have to have a special work permit, but you do have to be able to support yourself  in order to register as a resident. You can find more information about residence and some job leads here:

http://www.eures.is/english/home/

however, many hotel/restaurant jobs are not posted but are found by being there, walking around, and asking at places.

Hello kylelove and welcome on board

We do not have much activity on the Iceland forum, as expatriation is really scarce over there.

I suggest you to browse the forum by 'Forum Categories' found on the right of this screen, to gather as much information as possible.

Sections such as Everyday Life, Work and Formalities may bring some light on your queries.

Wish you all the best for your project

Regards
Kenjee

thanks for the links :)

ive also been looking into internships in iceland since yesterday, as i am working in the food/hospitality business i thought itd be a great experience to take an internship. I found one that involves working in a organic bakery and thought this could really boost my skills, is there any chance this could lead to landing a permanent job?

i know working in a bakery isnt exactly on the skills shortage list so was a little confused as to if i would be able to officially reside in iceland, how long exactly am i allowed to stay in iceland if i dont have a permanent residence there?

edit: just in case you were interested, here is the link to the internship i was interested in

goabroad.com/providers/sesseljuhus/programs/organic-bakery-134347

did you browse the website I displayed above? I also recommend reading this as it explains your rights as an EEA citizen

http://www.skra.is/english/forms/

this article in particular explains your right to reside http://www.skra.is/lisalib/getfile.aspx?itemid=5850

there is of course a chance that the bakery internship would lead to a permanent job but that's something only the employer could tell you. You also would have to have some kind of income in order to be able to legally reside in Iceland.

thanks for the help, yes i come across the website before, it has a lot of helpful info im also finding it a little confusing aha!.

I dont quite understand how the EURES application form works, do i fill that in and send it off if i have found a job to apply for? sorry by the way for all the questions im just a little confused :)

actually, no worries, ive worked it out now! just browsing through the jobs now to see whats available :)