Arriving in April of 2016 to HCMC- New to teaching English

Hello everyone,

First time posting here. I will be getting my TEFL certificate in February from SEETefl in Chiang Mai. Planning on heading to HCMC in April. Just curious if that would be a good time to be looking for work. No real teaching experience. Any schools that are best for new teachers? Best way to find an apartment? Is it best to stay in a hotel temporarily until I find work. How is it for finding work in the more rural areas? Would appreciate any advice for someone new to teaching english in Vietnam. Thank you.

Having no experience can be a real problem. Are you a native speaker as that helps,your age doesnt help though. Best to stay in a hotel till you get your bearings. Finding work in the larger country towns is not difficult,I was in Tay Ninh a few months back and was offered a job whist being a tourist there.

Yes I am an native english speaker. Born and raised in Los Angeles California. Have a Bachelors from the University of Hawaii.  How much experience would be helpful. Would it be better to teach in Thailand for a while? Thanks for your input.

I wonder how many of these so called English teachers in SEA are actually accredited or trained to teach like those in the states. Teaching requires creativity and a big heart which most people including professors from university sometimes do not possess. My former college professor used to hate coming to class to teach. He had to do it to keep his job at the university. One of his requirements was to teach or pass on his knowledge to the students, and quite frankly he wasn't very good at it. My ex gf on the other hand, went through years of training and she was quite good at getting kids to learn, especially the kids who are at risk. She was a role model to many kids. You can tell when someone puts their heart and soul into teaching and it shines like a silver moon.

I am hoping once I become certified and after gaining some experience teaching that I may also become a good role model for many students wanting to learn conversational english. I plan to put my heart and soul into this new career and am looking forward to being able to help my students attain a feeling of confidence in speaking and understanding english. Any advice from new or experienced teachers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and Aloha.

Situations are changing in Vietnam too  :)
Of course your only plus point is native speaker.
I don't think your certificate will help to become a great teacher. It's just an entry pass!
You are going to start from the primary lessons of Teaching.
Need patience and confident especially if you intend to teach young learners. Good luck!

Am hoping that the certificate will help me to better understand the basics of class management and lesson planning. This is all new to me. The class does consist of some actual classroom teaching. Thank you for responding. What do you mean by situations are changing in Vietnam?  Yes I am hoping to start out teaching children. Assuming it entails many challenges

Maybe a look at Daves ESL will get you more information as its mainly people who are teaching or who have taught here before. Go to the website,then click on Stuff for Teachers,then look for International Job Forums,simply find the VN branch and away you go.

Many Vietnamese learn English everyday, many English centers open everyday and of course, they demand more in teaching skills.
Hope you'll earn good experiences in teaching in Vietnam. If it's hard to find a job in HCMC, let's think about sub-areas or other cities which are nears HCMC.
Keep your passion for teaching alive :)

Are you located in HCMC? Do you conduct lessons with your computers from an office. Or is it done at our own computer at home. Are the students from Vietnam only? I would be interested but I will not be there till early April. Can you tell me a little about the job?

I think you will find its low paying,around 10usd an hour. The average at a language centre is around 17usd.

Thank you for the information.

Hi,
Regarding of teaching job, you can search international center like Apollo, ILA, VUS, ICTI,...etc. and apply online before your arrival. I have been working for Apollo before, they also accept fresh teacher like your exp. however, they would offer the low package then after times you can gain more exp. they will deal again.
In terms of visa, housing, when you come here, just text me at 0908 978 845 or email [email protected], now I am working in Immigration Office, so I can support you in visa/work permit/temporary residence card. I also have 1 house in district 1 with 7 studio rooms with full services such as laundry, cleaning (3times/week), full furnished, TV cable, wifi, balcony and kitchen included with the price is from $280 -$350. Any help, just send me message.
Regards,
Susan Pham

I'm a professor and have taught at several universities in the US and in Indonesia and have a master's in music.  what are the highest paying jobs I could apply for in HMC please?  I'm trying to get medical treatment in HMC for my handicap and hearing loss

Hi you. I am Phuc. Now, i am in Ho Chi Minh, Viet Nam.
Have you planed to stay which city in Viet Nam ? First, I think you should choose a city to settle down. I will introduce Ha Noi, Da Nang, Ho Chi Minh are big city where you can find fobs easily. After that, finding a  apartment or hotel to rent temporarily. You can find a language center to teach there. There will be trying classes for you in order that recruitments  can consider your ability.

Hi Guys!
Got my self in a bit of a pickle, job fell through.I have experience  in teaching in Ho Chi before.
Previous  school has classes for me but only on weekends, total hours 8!!!!.Not enough! to pay rent
Have experience  and TESOL diploma, no BA.Searched and presented my resume to a few centers around town to no avail.
Have tried Hawaii,  EMG, Saigon Amrican,I now work for Duong Minh Centers, as I said not enough hours.
Can anyone suggest more centers?
Cheers!  xxx

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Stating what areas you want to work may help, eg Tan Binh,D3 and so on.

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not spam threads with copy/paste posts. Drop an advert in the jobs section.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct