Bringing my dog to Myanmar

Hi everyone,

I have a very cute dog that I want to bring along in Myanmar. I heard you need a rabies certificate as well as a certificate from the vet which confirms that the dog is in good health.

Do I also need to send blood samples to the Myanmar government? Or is it no longer needed?
Can the dog fly with me in cabin during the whole time? What airline do you recommend?
Are dog keepers possible? Are they expats and/or locals?

I see different information on different websites so I would like to have a feedback from someone who actually experienced the same situation.

Many thanks!
Jennifer

Hi, Jenny: ***

My dog arrives on Monday morning. I have used a pet relocation service in the states because I am a nervous wreck. My dog as well as a neighbor's dog are using Qatar Airways because our dogs must go in cargo due to size.

You are correct that you need a health certificate and proof of rabies vaccination within the last year.

Your best bet is to call the airline and get all the information from them to make sure you leave nothing to chance.

There may also be crate requirements. I have found a local outfit that is importing good dog food otherwise you are stuck with pedigree and alpo. I can also give you vet recommendations

As for pet care, there is a Myanmar man who advertises as a dog walker, but he has been out of the country and I have been unable to reach him.

I, too, worry about having to take regional trips and finding someone to keep my dog for a few nights.

Perhaps we could link up with other dog owners and work out some kind of an exchange-that would be fair, but give us all some peace of mind. Tara

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For own security measures, please do not share email address on the forum.

Hello Tara,

Many thanks for your very useful response.

Sure, I will be happy to work out some kind of an exchange! On our side, we will arrive around mid-November/beginning of December so there is no rush for us. My partner will come along and he will be ready to take care of the dog at the beginning but we may need somewhere to leave him during the day when we will be both working (it's better for the dog).

My work location will be west part of Kandawgyi lake; do you think that it is possible to find accommodations nearby (max 30 mn) with a small garden? Our budget would be 1500 USD ideally for 2 people.

By the way, do you know if your relocation agency has sent some blood samples to the government? Did you have to wait a 3 months notice before bringing the dog to the country?

I think the administrator has removed your email address but we can sure keep in touch!

All the very best,
Jennifer

Hi, Jenny: Yes-they removed my address! I have not preferred using this blog because I am continually breaking the rules.  Housing here is a nightmare-I don't mean to scare you, but my budget is the same and I have opted to stay in a residence-type hotel. I looked at a number of properties in that range and did not find anything acceptable. I think if you can avoid a realtor you will do much better. You will have to pay a year's worth of rent in advance-so brace yourself and make sure your employer is willing to advance. Having a dog does not seem to be much a problem and I have seen a number of Myanmar walking dogs of all sizes in the city.

My dog is coming from the US and no blood samples were sent. You do need passport style photos of your pet-I believe the Myanmar Ministry of Ag keeps them on file. Copies of your passport and visa are also necessary.

Many people have suggested looking for housing and other information on the google group for Yangon. Every time I attempt to join, my e-mail gets rejected-so have not had success there.

Before I arrived I got a lot of useful information from a woman who had her 4 dogs here. I would be happy to send you our e-mail exchange-perhaps you can find me on facebook and we can connect that way? I would rather not share on this blog.  Thank you!

Hello Tara!

Many thanks for your response, that's great news as that means we can our dog with us right away and we don't need to wait 3 months.

I sent you a private message with my personal email.

All the very best,
Jennifer

My parent brought their puppy from New York about seven years ago and they never had any problems with the aviation authorities at Yangon international airport. but it was 7 years ago and we don't if they have straightened the regulations.
If they give you a such a hassle time then put $100 in their pocket then you won't have anymore concern by the authorities.