English Playgroup in Sofia City for babies and toddlers

Hi everybody,

I am quite concerned about the BG kindergardens?child minder fees in Sofia /those in English/ and start thinking about alternatives - like starting a playgroup.
Maybe, we can rent a cozy place and even hire a skilled professional to help and share the costs...
If there are any Moms and Dads interested - please let me know!
Regards
Julia

Hi Julia!

Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I have moved the topic on the Sofia forum.

I wish you good luck. :)
Christine

Hi Julia,

I am a primary school teacher from England and I have just arrived in sofia. I have moved here for a while with my friend and my four year old son, Oliver, and I am also very interested in finding some other children or a playgroup to join. How are you getting on? Have you received many replies to your post?

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Trudy.
x

Hi Trudy!
So good to hear u are interested in the initiative!
There has not been any interest from other expats so far and I began to feel like the only English speaking Mom in BG...:)

I met a BG young woman recently - a big fan of the English language /speaks to her child in English/ who is opening a small English club for little kids and I was planning to join her with my child in the New Year..
Will offer yoga, classical music and other lovely activities and is now recruiting native English teacher.
Anyway, even if we join this club in the mornings, we shall be free in the afternoons and will be great to meet with you as soon as I back to BG after Christmas!

Hi Julia,

Thank you so much for your reply. It is wonderful to know that I too am not the only English mother in Bulgaria!

It would be lovely to meet up with you. How old are your children? If you like, you could come and visit our appartment in Geo Milev for a cup of tea- we have just put up our Christmas decorations and I'm sure the children would like them!

I am just starting to look for teaching work actually- I am a native (obviously) English teacher- maybe you could give your Bulgarian friend my e-mail address- I might be able to help... Two birds with one stone and all that!

Looking forward to meeting you,
Trudy :)
x

Thank you!It's so kind of you!!
Would love to visit, maybe we can go shopping and have some fun with the kids - I have a 5 year old daughter /Lauren/ and my son is 3/Oliver/
Unfortunately, I won't be in BG for Christmas - we plan to leave for the USA for the Christmas holidays and come back short after.
Quite busy these days as we are leaving next week Wednesday /packing and stuff/ but would love to keep in touch and see you when we are back!

PS. Will see for the Bulgarian lady's email address and will post it to you. I don't know if she is still recruiting, but will be great to help!!

Hi Julia,

My e-mail address is [email protected] if you would send me yours I will give you my mobile phone number here in Sofia and my address. Then if you are in the area, you can pop in for a coffee.

My son is 4 and is also called Oliver! This could be confusing :)

Good luck with the packing.
Speak soon,
Trudy
x

Thank you! Just noticed your son is also Oliver!:)-just a bit older!
I managed to find the email for the English Kids Club. You can email them - the lady is very nice and intelligent and will definitely respond.
[email protected]

Will email u now so u can have my email address as well.

My email address: [email protected]
Regards!

I got quite a lot of PM inquiries recently about the newly forming English Playgroup in Sofia. The group is just starting with Sunday Classes and will be led by an English teacher /also an expat mom/ U can find more info on their newly launched website:
English Play and Study Group for Chilrden /age 3-5/in Sofia city

Dear moms, I am a Bulgarian living in India. I am visiting Sofia for a month and for the first time, I am bringing my two children - a 1 year 9 months old girl and an almost 3 years old boy. Can you please recommend things to do with children in Sofia, as well as weekend breaks close to the city - again, toddler-friendly. Also I wanted to know if there are any play groups / play schools, where my children can get immersed into the Bulgarian language?

With thanks,

Mila Kahlon

I am in Vidin and have been here since 2008.
I used to work for Social Services in the UK with teenagers and young children, from Babies upwards:)
One of the things that I found which was hard for me as a working mum when my children were growing up was the lack of out of hours care as It was always a rush going to  pick my kids up on time, especially when the trains were delayed and buses full, lol.. I am very experienced with children and am available to look after your child whilst you work with times to be arranged with you, im very flexible and im a native English speaker :)

Please post replies to: [email protected]

Hello!

I'm from Slovenia but I'm living in Sofia now. Since April 1 this year.
I'm in Sofia with partner and 1 year 3 months old son.
We both have time to look after your child when you work or have something to do.
I had experience and speaking english, italian, slovene, croatian and serbian.

MilaKahlon: You can visit ZOO. It's big.

Hi Trudy, I am waiting to hear back from Julia on the playgroup idea she had. Meanwhile - are you interested in spending some time with my 6 month old son speaking English to him? Pls email me [email protected] or call me 02/8581994 thanks Jana

Dear Mums,

I am starting a private child day care group, to fit in with your working  hours, we are in Vidin, and can care for children from 2 yrs old to 5 yrs old, maybe younger if you really need it.  I am British, and we have been here since 2008, with out own 2 daughters who 1 if whom is 19 and the other is 16.

Our Maximum of children is: 8

3 carers.:)

Best Regards

Sandra.

You can contact me on: 0888082293

[email protected]

Dear Sandra, many thanks for your promptt reply. Of course I will pay for the time spent with my son. Sorry if I have not made this clear in my post. However, isnt Vidin a bit far away from Sofia? Or do you come to Sofia some times?  I will call you tomorrow as it is late now. Best Regards Jana

Hi Jana, Yes we are a bit too far...

It might not be worth your traveling... pity you do not live closer to me.
Also he is a bit young, maybe he would benefit when he is a bit older say from 12 months.

Best Regards,

Sandra.

Sofia has several play groups organized mostly around language - German, English, Spanish. They tend to meet in houses in Dragalevtsi and Simeonovo in the suburbs of Sofia. I recommend contacting your appropriate Embassy and asking them for information. There's a Yahoo group for expat parents of young kids in Sofia: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sofiaparents/