Hello. Recently arrived from TO.

Hi there,

Just wanted to drop in to intro. myself to all you fine people. I'm Joe, just moved here from Toronto. Haven't really explored much as traffic is super intense and work is keeping me busy...but, def. looking forward to meeting some people and roaming the streets of Cairo. I'm especially interested in Cairo's (and Egypt's) contemporary art scene and live music scene (and determined to find it). I've been trying to find venues for live music (real live music venues for local and visiting bands if they exist and I hope they do). If you're in the know, please help a brotha out. I can repay the favour with beer or trivial conversation or both! Thanks and take care.

peace.
J.

Hello Joseph :

you might want to check these links:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=51309https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=51834

The previous posts made by me!

Hope you would have nice times.

Rimon.

Welcome To Egypt!

Hi Joe! Thank you for your introduction. ;)

Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

Your topic has been moved on the Cairo forum.

All the best,
Christine

Hey Joe,
Recommend ticketsmarche.com for events or music venues.
There was another site, I don't recall now.. I'll post when I comes back to me.

Stumble_On wrote:

Hi there,

Just wanted to drop in to intro. myself to all you fine people. I'm Joe, just moved here from Toronto. Haven't really explored much as traffic is super intense and work is keeping me busy...but, def. looking forward to meeting some people and roaming the streets of Cairo. I'm especially interested in Cairo's (and Egypt's) contemporary art scene and live music scene (and determined to find it). I've been trying to find venues for live music (real live music venues for local and visiting bands if they exist and I hope they do). If you're in the know, please help a brotha out. I can repay the favour with beer or trivial conversation or both! Thanks and take care.

peace.
J.

go to Cairo opera house and ask for monthly program at the gate, you will find allota affordable concerts (local and foreign) during the month.

Hi all-

Thanks very much for the welcomes and the hints. Much appreciated.

@ Rimon: I went to the Opera House last night to see King Tut: Musical...it was hilarious. We enjoyed it, but probably not in the way it was intended. Still, it was a fun night.

@ Pandabear: Excellent! Will check it out, and yes, please do post the other link if you recall it.

@ Aussielamb: WIll do!

best,
joe

Hey J.

Check out "yallabina.com" they have event listings and a lot of other stuff. Also check groups on Facebook, there are a lot of very active groups on there.

Regarding exploring the city. Wait until the start of Eid (Tuesday). Most people will leave Cairo to travel, it will really free up the roads!! Give you time to explore the city without having to deal with the traffic.

I hope you're enjoying your time so far :) Let me know if you need any help.

@Leprechaun: Thanks for the tips! Will check out that link. I'll be gone to Istanbul for Eid so sadly can't take advantage of the decrease in traffic.

@Canadaeya: I'm originally from Edmonton! Planning to check out Culture Wheel also. cheers.