Cost of living in Australia

Hi everybody,

It would be very useful to talk about the cost of living in Australia.

Don't forget to mention where in Australia you are living.

How much does it cost to live in Australia?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

G'day mates !! ;)

Cost of living in Australia depends where you're. In general it's more expensive when you're in a big city, like Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane...

The cheapest accommodation prices are backpackers hotel. You can find a dorm (6-10 per room) for 25-32$ a night. You can have the choice with/without air-condition...

About public transportation, I'm travelling by bus : Greyhound and Premier could offer you some good deals. You book a kilometre pass with Greyhound https://www.greyhound.com.au , for 185$ you can do 1 000km, 769$ 5 000km...
Don't forget one thing, Australia is so huge !!

You can find good food prices at Woolworth, Coles, supermarkets

Health prices are so expensive !! I paid more than 90$ for a medical consultation and one box of pills, just for a tonsillitis !! Don't forget to take a good insurance before going in Oz, like ASFE.

Internet (sorry but I can't live without it :rolleyes:). Depends also in which city you're. In Cairns we paid 1,50-2$/h, in Brisbane 4-5$/h.

Let's talk about beer !! (Aussies can't live without beer :D). In a pub it's 4-4,50$ for a beer. Not too bad.

Having just spent a great deal of time in Paris, I noticed the cost of groceries in the French capital is cheaper than in a smaller Australian city!!

Australia once used to be cheaper, but these days it is not really any cheaper to live here than any other first world country.