Moving to Thailand with kids

Hi,

Moving abroad is an adventure for both parents and children: settling overseas is a challenge for each family member.

How was the move to Thailand for your kids?

How did they manage to adapt to their new environment?

Share with us your experience and advice on settling in Thailand with children.

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

My family has enjoyed the warmth and sunshine in Thailand. You can find plenty of beaches to sunbathe or go for a swim. The cost of living is also significantly lower than in Western countries, which has allowed me the luxury of hiring a nanny for my children, which has been extremly helpful when I'm busy or want to have some quality time with my significant other. Family friendly activities vary based on where you will be located. Bangkok (not so surprisingly) has the best selection of activities for families, but other cities have some activities too, like the water park in Hua Hin.

In my case, my daughter came every year on holidays to visit family, but this was different than settle definitively here.

She went through many crisis, and cry a lot at beginning, she was 6yo when we arrived here, because she missed her friends, her old school, her house, and also the snow because she like to play in winter...

Most important was to find an british international school with same curriculum, similar environment as when she was in England in order she feel comfortable.

Now, after more than 2 years, she speak well Thai, she enjoy life, she got new friends, she like her new life, she like to go to market, she is my translator  :D , she can visit some cousins, grandma here...

I have to debrief her all the time about safety, as she see many things here which are new for her, and I don't want she copy or take bad habits ( no motorbike, sit in the rear seat of the car, fasten the seatbelt, no priority to cross a road or pedestrian, etc... )

No problem with spicy thai food as her mum always cook thai food abroad before, but stopping market to buy food was new to her..

Thai culture bring her some peace, as she go to temple, pray, etc.. even when I drive to school, if she see some monks, or pass a temple, she raised her two hands as a sign of "wai", she can sing also the national anthem, all of this make that in the daily life she need to show lot of respect to others, be more polite... she can see how some are very poor, and understand the value of the money, she save money here, spend less, not even interesting in buying expensive toys for christmas or birthday, she learn to share with others who does not have opportunities, as school will d many charity events..

I think with the time she will see it with another eyes as a positive experience of the life