Work in Tirana

Hi all,

I am british and my husband is Albanian, we live in England. We are considering living in Tirana to be nearer to my husband's family. However I am having trouble finding any work in the city. I have sent my CV to several banks, NGOs, embassies etc but have had hardly any response. I don't have a degree but have excellent secondary school exam results and around 7 years experience of working in banking, customer services and local council.
Can anyone point me in the right direction, or do you know of any small foreign businesses that may need an english speaking admin person?
I have very good spoken Albanian and fair written albanian.

Thanks

Dear lucyk12

It is certainly not easy to apply on a written basis for a job in Albania while being abroad. There is certainly demand for experienced bankers as the banking industry is dominated by foreign owned banks and is more sophisticated than one would expect from a comparatively underdeveloped country in Europe.

However, the usual way to find a job is still personal recommendation. Once you are their you should try to get yourself involved with the expat community as fast as possible since there is a good chance that they can help you to get in touch with the right peolple at local banks.

Some other possibilities you might want to try while you are still in UK:
1. Get in touch with the EBRD=European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (based in London). It is a supranational development bank with many interests/acticities in Albania - also in the banking sector. They might at least direct you to some contacts at local banks and if you can refer to the EBRD sure you will be invited for an interview.
2. There is a German based but very international consulting company which is providing management services to a bank which originated from a German-Albanian development cooperation. The conculting company is IPC GmbH (based in Frankfurt) while the network of banks they are managing is ProCredit Bank (same name in Albania). Check both of their websites you might find an access point there.

Which you luck!

Hi

Thanks for your response. It certainly is difficult finding work while still living in the UK. I will try your suggestions but otherwise will wait til I arrive in Tirana to make connections.

Thanks again

its good to know about that...
thanks...

If you live in London and working in banks it should be a very easy chance for you to buy a business in Albania. Just caffe or little store... You even can just by a flat or two in albania for a cheap money and resell it later, so it would be a kind of investing for you...