Do people want purebred dogs?

I am a French Bulldog breeder and we are going to San Miguel in Nov. To check out moving there. We currently live in B.C.
I am an avid dog lover and breed French Bulldogs. I cannot see myself giving up being a small hobby breeder and wondered if there would be a demand for purebred dogs in the area.

You will not be able to command the prices that you get NOB. But there are a lot of dog owners in SMA.

The short answer is "NO". The shelters are overwhelmed with wonderful, loving, needing dogs and cats that make excellent pets and many of us have multiples.

saludos

Sonia

http://listado.mercadolibre.com.mx/mascotas-bulldogs#D[A:mascotas-bulldogs,B:0]

Yes there is a demand in Mexico for Bulldogs. I have seen many here in the city of San Luis Potosi in a "jardín" [park] in an upscale area where dogs are walked frequently, both English and French. Not many owners leave the droppings here and the park has signs and containers with small plastic bags in the park for this. Best of luck.  According to Mercado Libre [above link] they are expensive, maybe the same or similar prices as a "papered" purebreed in the USA or Canada. You can get "papers" here but I presume the system is different. The have a Mexican "Kennel Club" that has these "papers" available in larger cities.

Thanks you so much. I have very high quality dogs and only bred two litter's a year. French Bulldogs are the clowns of the dog world and they are the delight of my life.
Of coarse getting shelter dogs is wonderful but now after having Frenchies I am so completely in love with them and find my self laughing and smiling all day long.

Anyola wrote:

Thanks you so much. I have very high quality dogs and only bred two litter's a year. French Bulldogs are the clowns of the dog world and they are the delight of my life.
Of coarse getting shelter dogs is wonderful but now after having Frenchies I am so completely in love with them and find my self laughing and smiling all day long.

Did you check the link to Mercado Libre? I presume if you sell any you might have to travel or have potential owners travel to you if SMA dog owners aren´t into them as stated. I checked that link and they are expensive here in Mexico. I had 4 female Boxers over a 30 year period and know how one breed gets to you in a way other breeds do not.

Best of luck.

We visit SMA often but always on the weekends. It is a 2 hour drive for us.

Thanks, I will need to check out the site. We have never been to San Miguel but thought it would be a good place to check out since my husband is a professional artist. I am more than open to checking out other high land towns. Will be wanting to buy a home with a a bit of land so that my dogs can have space to run around.

I have Pekingese dogs which are even more rare here in Mexico and the reason is that they are expensive to breed and to maintain.  The only places I've found so far that have them are Mexico City, Monterrey & Guadalajara, i.e., places with high incomes.  So that will be the major factor in breeding dogs here is the income for the area as the average person can't afford to pay $1,000 or more for a dog.

You will need a PR or if not a TR visa and then apply for permission to work and register with SAT for taxation.

saludos

Sonia

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Sharing of external links not allowed on the forum

Yes, yes, yes! At least in Cancun they do.
In a way it is a big bummer as there are SO MANY dogs that need rescue, but boy they love their purebreds. I see all types, but I see many bulldogs, boxers, poodles, bishon frishes, chihwahwa, and dachsunds, all purebred. I also see a ton of pit bulls.

Thanks so much. I put everything into raising my puppies and I want them to have wonderful homes.

I would think there would be a market in the expat community.. Are you on civillist via yahoo. I would post your question there., major expat community site.. Haven't seen many of that breed here but small dogs are popular in the wealthy Mexican community ..

Thanks will check out the site. We are going to SMA for two months in Nov to check every thing out. Don't know any one yet but hopefully will meet people fairly quickly.

I don't think that would be a good idea. I lived in san miguel for a year and their were sooooooo many homeless dogs. So many americans were doing what they could to rescue them. One of my friends had 14, and the other had 12. I found one tired to a tree starving. one day a someone dropped a baby puppie threw my fence. You endlessly find dogs there starving and in need. so breading more would not be a good idea.
Kim

Hi there. I am an ex-pat and I have been living in SMA for six years. I own 4 purebred dogs and one street dog that someone abandoned at my doorstep at two weeks old. To answer your question...there are many ex-pats here that will try and discourage you from breeding purebred dogs. They look down their noses at anything that isn't a street dog/rescue. There are many more Mexican, American, and Canadian citizens that love purebreds and will be interested in purchasing a high quality French bulldog.I suggest that you look at the actual prices that purebreds go for here to determine whether it is a viable enterprise....there is a market....there are also a lot of tourists in SMA that come in from Mexico City who can well afford to purchase a dog. I might suggest that you check Facebook groups in Mexico....that's how I found a breeder here in Mexico when I was looking for a Doberman recently.

The overwhelming majority of dogs in Mexico are mutts. Most wealthy people who actually want to buy a pedigreed dog  are few and far between. However of course there are elite cliques here and there that have such a dog as a status symbol. It can be a bit loosey goosey here. I don't know that I would trust the authenticity of a "pure breed" dog purchased in Mexico. PETCO sells dogs but I do not know if they are pedigreed. That's where a very wealthy friend of mine purchased a dog for his children who will be flying the coop in just a few more years. You might consider contacting PETCO and asking about providing pedigreed dogs to them. Have you searched online for pedigreed dog breeders in Mexico? I suspect you could own a niche. Best wishes in your upcoming adventure.

Thank You, I love raising the puppies and price is not my main concern. I have been aiming for very high quality and have paid very high prices for my foundation dogs. I would hope to gain a reputation as an excelent breeder like I am striving to do in Canada.

We wanted and purchased a Rhodesian Ridgeback here in Mexico City.  The cost was considerably more reasonable than in NY.  You may just have to adjust your expectations as to cost and charges here.  The Vets and vacinations are much more reasonable than the states. All the best.

There are many more people in Mexico that breed, buy/sell and show purebred dogs than people realize.  I have found that a large percentage of expats who post on Mexico forums are back to nature/conservation types (no problem with that) and as such don't like that people actually buy a dog and don't adopt instead.  While in New York I deal with a lot of people who show dogs and you would be surprised how many are shown from Mexico.

I'll admit that I am one of those people who like my comforts and pleasures at my home in Mexico to be just about the same as I enjoy in New York with the culture of Mexico as the bonus.