Cost of living in Irbid. Can I live comfortably?

Hi,

I've been offered a job in Irbid. The salary is 2100 JD a month. Of this, I'll need to send 500 home and save another 500. Which leaves me with 1100 to live off. I'm a single guy in my 20's so my expenses will not be very high.

What kind of lifestyle can I expect in Irbid of this amount? Will I be able to rent a small but comfortable one bedroom apartment, eat most of my meals from cheap local restaurants (eating local food) and get occasional (say once a week) cleaning help?

I know it's a lot to ask from so little money, so I'd love some feedback please. Thanks very much in advance for you help!

That's a lot of money considering the average person ònly takes home 300 dinar per month.

Thanks for replying. I understand that the average person makes less. I just wanted to check if I could afford the sort of lifestyle I wanted. I don't intend to live lavishly by any means but I don't want a major drop in quality of life either. So my question is not really whether I can survive on that money, I know I can survive.

My question is if I can afford a comfortable, small one bedroom apartment, all meals in cheap local restaurants/cafes and cleaning help once a week on 1100 JD per month. Apart from that I won't have much expense on clothes/going out etc.

Also, it would be great if someone had some information on whether there are any reasonably modern (I don't expect western style housing), furnished  apartments in  the city.

Thanks again for your help.

I think you will find a comfortable apartment with this salary and irbid is cheaper than Amman

Thanks! How much is a cheap meal, eating local food in a small cafe? I don't plan to cook, so I would like to find cheap places to eat out for lunch and dinner. What would the typical food be in a local cafe?

Thanks again for your help.

That is so much more money than you will need. I'd save more money, if I were you. The rent in Irbid is nothing, compared to Amman. Don't let anyone try to take advantage of you.

The most I have ever heard of anyone paying rent, for a very large and new apartment, is 250 JDS (unfurnished). Meals will cost from less than 2 JDS to 6 JDS. You might manage to spend 10 JDS at a more upscale restaurant.

Also, you can go by taxi anywhere within Irbid city for 1 JDS, 1.50 JDS maximum. Make sure you confirm the price when you first get in the taxi. Irbid taxi's don't have meters. Majority of drivers are honest, but there are always the one or two that try to make a little money off visitors / foreigners.

Same goes for shopping, know your prices. I usually check several stores to have an idea of what an item costs. This way you are prepared when someone tries to gouge you. Be prepared to just walk away, if they refuse to bargain with you.

Thanks so much! This is exactly what I was looking for and it's is very reassuring.

One last question, have you ever gotten occasional cleaning help? Is it available easily and how much would it cost for a small apartment, say once a week?

Thanks again.

I haven't had any luck finding someone for part-time cleaning. I would check with the cleaning person at your work, they may be willing to clean on the weekend for you. I do know, if you find someone, the going rate is 3-4 JDS in Amman. Ask what they charge first, but don't agree to anything above this amount.

Thanks! Is that 3-4 JD an hour?

Sorry. Yes, per hour.

Great. Thanks for all your help.

Hello,
i am writing you from Irbid :)
with your salay you can save more than 500 in Irbid, you have to expect that the life Quality in Irbid not like were do you come or like in Amman.
You can get an appartment for max. 200JD, Elect. 15 -20JD per month, water 5-10JD per 3months
Malls are every were in the south of Irbid, you can buy your food there...
Taxi is for 1 - 2 JD Max 3JD
Buses dont need them
any more help? u r welcome