Where to live at 30 min max from rue du prince - geneva left bank

Hi, after 8 years in london we are looking for a house with garden to rent near geneva and are hoping to move in in december 2010 as I am pregant with our second child and due for the end of december.

My partner will work rue du prince on ht eleft bank, where could we live at max 30 min door to door from there ?

Is that at all possible ? we dont mind living in france or switzerland, but traffic in rush hours seems bad and finding a parking space in city center too... would you recommend only leaving on train lines and if so where would you recomend?

Which places would you say are the more toddler friendly ?
many thanks in advance for any advice you can spare  : )

Hi Canelle and I hope your plans work out smoothly.

I would not advise living in the area of rue du Prince that is near the lake. Not only is the parking unbearable, there are also many safety issues that can make life hell for people living in the Rive area and consequently near rue du Prince.

If the lake area or Jardin Anglais may seem as a safe haven, unfortunately since the past few years it has become a regrettable playground for drug peddlers, pickpockets or even some quite violent issues of purse snatching.

I know I may sound a bit paranoid to many, but having lived in the Rive area for a time and after suffering 3 burglaries in less then two years, I finally resolved to move over to neighboring France where despite the commuting time, I am much safer with my kids.

Furthermore, our car was vandalized on numerous occasions when parked in front of the jet d'eau (famous Geneva fountain) and be prepared to face somewhat of a subtle hostility from the locals here who do tend to resent the arrival of expats.

Geneva is facing high unemployment and strong housing crisis. Most regretfully, a non negligible amount of locals tend to put it all on the back of expats. Naturally this does not interfere with the standards of living but just be advised that the streets are not paved with gold despite the interesting salaries and the renowned Geneva quality of life can be somewhat of an exaggeration.

Also don't be surprised to see drug peddlers operating in broad daylight in the Jardin Anglais or the jet d'eau area (by the lake) as there appears to be somewhat of a political malpractice in tolerating issues in Geneva that would get you a few years of jail back in England.

Don't get discouraged but just be prepared to certain realities that are often ignored by expats living right here. All the best.

Thank you Jane for your info, we have indeed finally decided to find a place in nearby France and its now between St julien en genevois, vetraz monthoux or divonne les bains... I know the easiest would be Divonne as I can easily meet new mums in the park but its also the most expensie... not so sure about live with toddlers in Vetraz or St julien.. any thoughts ??
Many thanks for any advise.

for me Geneva is very safe, wherever you live. maybe you just have to be more cautious than before, but it's still very safe compared to a city like Paris (as an example that I know): I often walk around the Paquis area (known as the less safe place in geneva)very late in the night, and nothing never happened to me there. just mind your business and be a bit cautious, and you will enjoy the city