Overstay Fines 2015

Thanks for posting! Back to where it started just more expensive!

Here is a special term for this, it's called a 'shake-down'.

Not a shake down but back to what it was.  You can avoid the fee by getting your residency. Even visiting the EU you have a limit on how long you can stay.

BObK

A shake-down is when somebody uses force to extort money from you, that you wouldn't otherwise pay. To compare this instance to some other countries, is false logic. So if the EU.....ALSO forces people to pay for over staying, they are also shaking you down.

Thank you for the info.  I am pretty sure that my tourist card is included in my flight ticket.  I will wait and see till I leave the country and will pay the fee if needed.

As VISITORS here,  this country is entitled to put any laws and fees into place that they want to. It is legal, completely legal.

A shake down is not, it is abuse of force, abuse of authority!   

We need to respect that we are visitors here and allowed to do so by this country and the people!

If you don't want to be "shaken down" don't come and visit but go elsewhere.

Sorry it is a fee to visit end of story.

Bob K

Well worth the pittance charged for overstays.

Bob K wrote:

Not a shake down but back to what it was.  You can avoid the fee by getting your residency. Even visiting the EU you have a limit on how long you can stay.

BObK

So last  summer I started the regularization program, but went off to Tennessee as my brother was dying.  I recently was told my name was on some list of those who had regularization papers to pick up.  Any one have any info on that? Where to find the list etc...
Thanks

planner wrote:

As VISITORS here,  this country is entitled to put any laws and fees into place that they want to. It is legal, completely legal.

We need to respect that we are visitors here and allowed to do so by this country and the people!

Cannot agree more!

planner wrote:

Many other countries have a lot higher exit fee.  Panama it is Fifty USD a month after the first 90 days.  ANd in a couple of years can really add up.

Attn: rd government. Since most gringos don't seem to mind the shakedowns, I'd advise you to raise them...yet again. I've even met some here who don't mind when cops shake them down!

thecolonel ????????????????

Are you just posting to get a reaction.  Get with the program.

Sorry but charging a visitor to stay for an extended period of time you your country is not a shakedown.  You can avoid this fee by getting your residency and then you will be here legally and not have to worry about tourist visas and overstay fees.

I am planning on a trip to China this year an will have to get a Chinese Visa at a cost of a couple of hundred dollars.... am I being shaken down??????  I think not, it is a  fee I need to pay to visit their country. 

Bob K

It's funny how when I point out the false logic of .....'well others do it too', people give examples of ........even more countries that do it too.   I'm an advocate of all our countries being part of the Schengen Zone, thus no such shakedowns.

Except if you don't live in the Schengen Zone. So why is that different????????????

Bob K

A Schengen visa is necessary to travel to a Schengen country or within the area. It is a short-stay visa valid for 90 days. It also allows international transit at airports in Schengen countries.
A short-stay visa costs €60 (£44; $68).

As of 2 February 2016 Austria, Denmark, France, Germany, Norway, and Sweden have imposed controls on some/all of their borders with other Schengen states. This is due to the terrorist attacks in Paris and other concerns with the increase in immigrants.

BTW, Citizens of the Dominican Republic are on the list of countries required to purchase this visa.

You guys didn't understand me. I'm suggesting that the dr implement a Schengen style policy........right now .

In Cooperation with what countries?

Bob K

thecolonel wrote:

You guys didn't understand me. I'm suggesting that the dr implement a Schengen style policy........right now .

As someone who was born and raised in Nuremberg, and returns home to visit annually I will say that in my opinion the Schengen policy has at least two fatal flaws, the first being that there is uncontrolled access at the borders which has resulted in a huge influx of undocumented/illegal immigrants (>1,000,000 in 2015) that have placed a huge burden on social services (welfare, healthcare, and education), taxing those services for legal residents that might otherwise need them.

Second, the Schengen policy doesn't allow people from every county to enter without a VISA (including residence of the DR).

I applaud the DR and any country that monitors its borders and limits visitors with VISA's, if the DR were to implement an open door (Schengen) policy I for one would likely take them off my short list of preferred retirement locations.

IMHO, YMMV

Scubadave,,,, nice guy, you want others restricted, but not yourself apparently. On another guys point about welfare, gringos do t get any here now, and wouldn't have to under such a deal. Instead of calling hem visitors or immigrants etc just say they are people who have "moved".

Re the point about the country have a right to restrict and shake down. Yes they do, but my point was that they shouldn't.  France and Denmark etc also have such rights, but those 26 countries decided to just let people
Move around. The dr could do the very same.

Europe is way different then here.  Bottom line -  it is what it is.  Adjust or find somewhere else to "visit".

@thecolonel
Can I ask where you are from? Most of the serious members on this forum have their info filled in so others can see if their opinion has some ground. You don't have any info on your profile.

Now says he is Austrian.

Big scam is going on in the airports. Those fees are being stolen by the immigration agents they told me cash please and just put the money inside the passport and pass it to me. Corruption will never stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They making millions of dollars from gullible people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes I am sure that happens often!

I have to write what happened to me today:

I arrived to Dominican republic on the 17th of December, which means today is my 55th day. So, thinking on this info here (written around the time when I was coming), and having the same info from my Dominican husband, we went today to Elias Pina (we live in Las Matas de Farfarn) so I could exit to Haiti and come back. BUT, the officers at the border wanted us to pay 2500 considering that I stayed more then 30 days. We tried referring to the new 60 days rule but they said they changed back to 30 days!!

I am opening now the link and I see it is indeed now 31 to 90 days.
CP-PP-01-01    31 DÍAS A 90 DÍAS    2,500.00
http://www.migracion.gob.do/sitev1/tarifas/

We finally decided to not cross today, but in March as it is the same price and we are going to Haiti for real in that moment anyway.

I hope this experience is valid for some :)
Greetings

Sorry for your experience, we did report here it was back to 30 days.

Yeah, but it seems that the new change happened around my 30 days anyway.. So, I will just pay. But, as I am staying until May probably will try to be careful and check out every 29 days, as I live really close to the border anyway :)

It is always a good idea to check but it has been back to 30 days for a while now.

Bob K

By the way do you realize that the exit fee from Haiti  is US 60!    Or at least it used to be you will want to double check on that.

Hm, when I was in Haiti two years ago we payed like 10 euro to exit. They did ask for more money, but this was kind of black :/

In any case I am going in the beginning of April to Haiti (not only for the fine issue, but we are really going to visit the family there) and I will have very fresh information to share here :)

Awesome.  The fee I quoted as on exit at an airport.  Might be different now!  Thanks in advance for the update!

So, as promised I am giving my update:

I left Dominican republic at ground border in Dajabon and as I was here for more then 3 months indeed I had to pay 4000 pesos. Entering Haiti we had to pay 5USD per person.

We spent one week in Haiti (lovely experience!)

It seems that we were quite lucky on the way back. We passed the border in Elias Pina.

Well in the Haitian part they didn't ask for any money! Apparently the system is different in Dajabon border and Elias Pina border. In Dajabon they charge 5USD at the entrance and 10USD when exiting Haiti. At Elias Pina border they charge 15USD at the entrance to Haiti (my husband went few weeks ago) but they take nothing at the exit from Haiti!

Even the Dominican part didn't ask me to pay the 10EUR/USD tourist fee!

I am leaving DR in 2 weeks and I will have less then one month so I am regular exiting at the SD airport :)

Thank you for updating us.

Sounds like you did good

Bob K

Good morning so when are the fees paid because I have never been asked to give then any document receipt or anything? I am arriving 12 June and need to know what I must do. Thanks Liza

When you arrive on June 12 you will need to pay the $10 visitors visa fee and if you are here longer than 30 days you will pay the over stay fees according to the schedule posted above.

Bob K

Thank you Bob, but when and where?

The $10 fee is on arrival at the airport,  just follow the line of people.

On departure at the airport your passport etc will be checked and then they will charge you an overstay fee IF you are here longer then 30 days.  Make sure you check in advance what the fee will be so no one tries to over charge you!

Closed