Arriving in December!!

I am moving my family to Mauritius from the UK at the beginning of December (just in time to escape the winter)- we will be living in Tamarin. We have 2 small kids, a 2 year old daughter and a 2 month old son.
I would appreciate any info as to what baby and kiddie stuff one can buy on the island and what we should bring/ship in.
Am sure this is a silly question, but can one get baby clothing/baby grows etc easily or should we stock up before arriving.
We will bring our car seats and prams but is it worth shipping in cots, and other baby equipment eg cot toys, stair gates etc.
Any other advice from people in Mauritius with little ones please!?
Also, if anyone could recommend any play groups, nursery schools for our daughter, that would be great. We are hoping to meet lots of young families and other friendly people when we arrive!
Thanks for reading and looking forward to joining you all on the island in 6 weeks time!

HI There, We arrived from South Africa 2 months ago. I have a 9 month old boy. There is a great little English day care/play group called Tiny Tots in Tamarin. You will meet loads of mums there. As for bringing baby things. I would bring as much as possible. You can get things here, but it is very expensive. I brough my cot & all toys with. Most houses are furnished to some degree, but they wont have all the baby things you need. Clothes you can get, but the selection in UK and price is much better. I went on a summer sale shopping spree in August in UK. It is easy to buy clothes to come here, as it is HOT. You really WONT need anything with a long sleeve for your children.
Good luck with the move. Tamarin is GREAT!
Shout if you need any other advice.

Hi Keno. We're making the move to Tamarin in December and are also from cape town. We'll be renting at first but we're not exactly sure whether to bring everything across or do it later. Any advice please? I read in another blof that you guys used a 6m container. What furniture did you all bring? I realise most rentals come furnished hey? Also, how have you guys and kids adapted thus far? Has it been difficult? Looking forward to hearing from you and any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Before sending your container with furnitures, make sure that the house here in Mauritius is not fully furnished. If it is, i wud advise you not to ship the furniture and save some money on the shipping cost. wish you good luck in your move.

Hi aop,

Welcome to Mauritius. I think they have baby stuff at a shop in PL, I think it's call Hong Kong Store or something near Bramer Bank. Went there last Saturday and they also have some nice stuff for the house.

As for furnitures, as I'm renovating the house, I'm to say that I havent found any nice modern furniture for sale in Mauritius. Most of the stuff are locally made or imported from China, and unfortunately most of the Chinese imports are the cheapest and ugliest ones... I'm going to China end of November and hope to find some slick stuff for the living room and the bedroom.

Hope this helps.

Hi there,
@Urcelia - If it is possible, I would suggest that you come here first and stay here for six months or so before shipping over your stuff.  We shipped our stuff immediately when we came.  We lived in Flic en Flac and later decided to move to Riambel as it is so cheap to get a huge house on the beach. It was such a struggle to move everything again.  I would have also left some of the stuff and bought and brought things that you cannot buy here.  Hope this helps a bit.

@AOP - You can buy decent cot's and bedding at MR Price in Quatre Bornes.  Also car seats, cot toys, stair gates - these things you can buy at a reasonable price.  Good quality clothes are so expensive and the cheaper clothes are such bad quality you have to constantly replace it.  It is also difficult to find decent shoes for children.  So bring as much clothes as you can.  Also not necessary for winter clothes.  There is a nice toy shop in Black River for educational toys.  I have a one year old and a two year old and the only other difficulty is the medicine, the creams, ointments, syrups etc.  I wish there was a greater variety.  Good luck and hope everything goes well.

Thanks everyone for the info. Much appreciated

Hi!

My doughter is 16 months now and she goes to a nursery in Flic en Flac. They are very very nice there!

I would not bring everthing you have with you - the clothes are no good quality and the shoes also.
Everything else you can find at Meem in Port Louis.

Just write me when you are in Tamarin - would be great if we could meet and let our kids play together!

Barbara

Hi.. We arrived with just suitcases and have done fine. There are plenty of shops selling great quality baby clothes for very good prices! The only thing I haven't found are good quality children's shoes. We have rented 4 different house and all have been fully furnished with quality furnishings and 3 of them have also provided all bedding, cutlery, dinnerware, cookware etc... you'll do fine.