Who can help out with the collection of a piano?

Hey Guys - this is a call for some help please.  I have finally managed to find and buy a piano :top: only problem is I need to collect it and our vehicle can't do it as it will need to be transported upright and not on its back :(

Question is:
Can anyone help who has a vehicle that can take the following dimensions: 

(this is in inches am afraid)
59 inches long
21.5 inches deep
44.5 inches tall

Will need to strap it in tightly or we could pad it out with some single mattress' to avoid any damage?

Can anyone help? Will need to move it on Thursday of this week if at all possible.  Send me a PM if you can help - obviously we will pay petrol and inconvenience :)

I HAVE A 4X4 FULL SIZE CHEVY TRUCK.  DON'T HAVE A TAPE MEASURE TO MEASURE DIMENSIONS.  WILLING TO HELP MOVE AND LOAD IF IT WILL FIT.  EVEN HAVE PLENTY OF NYLON ROPE TO TIE IT DOWN WITH (JUST NEED SOMEONE WHO CAN TIE PROPER KNOTS).

AND DON'T GO INTO THE ROPE BDSM TANGENT.

CivEngr wrote:

AND DON'T GO INTO THE ROPE BDSM TANGENT.

I hear the japanese are very adept at that :D

I was a Scout Leader for lots of years and know all about coefficient of friction and breaking strains of different ropes.
But I have some straps that would work better. :lol::lol::lol::lol:
And as I live on the compound where the piano is, just let me know and I'll be around to do my bit.

ps. I know what a tangent is, but what is BDSM?

As long as it's not this evening, I'm a bit tied up.

jillndave wrote:

Brilliant.. :)

You guys are the best! :top::thanks: Will call you tomorrow and discuss logistics (provided that Dave has managed to get untied, of course) :P  As long is you are not 'tied up in knots' :lol: sorry!  :P

So I gather my truck will work. I'll just have to check my schedule to make sure I have no binding obligations.

Just let me know GWTFUK.  I'm there.  Glad I can help.

kzm40 wrote:
jillndave wrote:

Brilliant.. :)

We did tangents in Geometry. However seems like you guys have got yourselves into a knotty problem?

What time today?  I'll wait at your compound entrance parking for you unless I get tied up.

I'm so glad you guys stepped up to the plate for Max (cause I know she'd do it for any one of us).  BRAVO!!

Wish I could be of help but 1. no truck and 2. no rope (I use silk stockings LOL)*.

*that was for Dave :P

CivEngr wrote:

What time today?  I'll wait at your compound entrance parking for you unless I get tied up.

EEEk!  Not today, I won't be there - sorry, let me call you so we can link up with Dave also and make a plan.  Thanks CE

Alliecat wrote:

I'm so glad you guys stepped up to the plate for Max (cause I know she'd do it for any one of us).  BRAVO!!

Wish I could be of help but 1. no truck and 2. no rope (I use silk stockings LOL)*.

:lol::lol: sexy lady :P

gowiththeflowUK wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

try moving an organ with that?

musicman wrote:
gowiththeflowUK wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

try moving an organ with that?

Reminds me of an old joke:

Q. What's sexier than roses on a piano?
A. Tulips on an organ.

I'm on late shift this week and get back between 8 and 10 pm depending on work :(. I'll go and see the piano and leave the straps there just in case I'm at work when you get it together.

You'll have to lash it down yourselves. I could go on but I'll restrain myself.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Silk stockings Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :gloria

I'm surprised that there isn't a comment from Sparrow.:whistle:

Alliecat, that is soooooooooooooo rude. :lol::lol::lol::lol:
But nice. :whistle:

Hey, I can't help in anyway other than putting some verbal commentary.

Just please be careful when you're moving it and please make sure you have enough people carrying, and enough not getting in the way :p. I had a friend move a Piano back home and it was a pain in the ass, and he had to retune it at the end of it all cause of them half-assing the process. (But then again, as I remember, it was larger than this)

I'd pitch in to help carry it, but as you've all seen. I weigh a full fearsome 170lbs of flatness, along with a disc hernia.

Good luck and please be careful, and take your time planning it.

It may be a good idea to start an organ moving business in the city?

You thinking Tues/Wed?  Thurs doesn't work.  Pretty much anytime on Friday works.

Let me know what time Friday.  Going to check w/ Contractor today about getting some heavy duty plywood (3/4" stuff) and/or some boards to make a ramp.  4 guys and a supervisor/safety officer (that means you) should get it done.  See you Friday.

so far u would have settled your piano in some nice corner of your house so when can we come and listen and see u playing it...I have never seen Piano in my life except on TV :rolleyes:

nonz wrote:

so far u would have settled your piano in some nice corner of your house so when can we come and listen and see u playing it...I have never seen Piano in my life except on TV :rolleyes:

Well, by this Friday that will be true about having the piano settled in the villa (with a little help from my friends) :thanks:
Now I need to find a piano tuner and them some sheet music (classical):unsure.

Give me a couple of months and you never know, I may have a little soiree of sorts for a jamming evening as I believe there are a few amongst us who have some musical talents?  So there lies a little challenge, let us get our musical skills honed so we can start getting together for some music evenings – now that would be great :D.  Oh, and we can be accompanied by the vocalists in the group (la, la, la, la,) :blink::whistle:!

Does a kazoo count as a musical skill?? :whistle:

I could pick up a pair on bongo drums from somewhere to liven up the rhythm section.... We need a bassist

Its funny, when I first started to play music, seriously, we were a trio who lived in the neighborhood, Piano, Double Bass & Drums, dishing out some light jazz on Radio Ceylon. We had a vocalist do some crooning, Sinatra style, once in a while. The lady who played piano passed away, in New Jersey, a few months ago. The bassist has migrated to OZ. The crooner is in Ireland singing in some pub there. We are still in contact though, 50 years after.

Alliecat wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

and Maxi would u be able to play some Bollywood or Lollywood music for me:rolleyes:???

nonz wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

and Maxi would u be able to play some Bollywood or Lollywood music for me:rolleyes:???

Hey Nonzy, only if you would 'shake your stuff' to the rythmn:D

This I MUST see.....

Alliecat wrote:

ummm, Alliecat, is that a 'blowing' instrument?  Do you really want us to go there :P:lol::lol::lol:

You mean "wind"?

musicman wrote:

You mean "wind"?

:lol::lol: Oh my, MM, are you implying that AC is full of wind! :unsure:lol::lol::lol:

Lets invite her for the gig once you have your piano in place and then we will, surely, know.

I hope those expat-movers are working round the clock to have the delivery done in good shape and on time?

GWTFUK, got your text.  Would text back but phone texting no workie.  Talked to contractor and got about 1" thick piece of plywood.  Picking up Thurs at end of work day.  Call you Fri when at compound parking lot.  No need for me to enter.

CivEngr wrote:

GWTFUK, got your text.  Would text back but phone texting no workie.  Talked to contractor and got about 1" thick piece of plywood.  Picking up Thurs at end of work day.  Call you Fri when at compound parking lot.  No need for me to enter.

(I still have to chuckle when I see my code name in acroym).  You can rather PM me with details so we are not bugging others on this site with our details.  On your comments - Roger that - over and out!

gowiththeflowUK wrote:
nonz wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

Hey Nonzy, only if you would 'shake your stuff' to the rythmn:D

hehehhehe yeah i don't mind but my extensive stuff shaking might shake your villa as well:lol::lol::lol:

Wind section - count me in. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Noted, Dave, you can take the Soprano corner

I'll be right at the back playing the 'bum' notes. :lol::lol::lol:

Hey, you expat-movers, has Max started tickling her ivories, yet?

wats the update on this?? wen do we get to play the PIANO??

Well, am tinkering away on the ivories but the tuning is weird, so will expect much more when I secure a piano tuner?

That's weird, thought I sent a thank you message on this yesterday!

Big 'THANKS' to Civeng, maser man, JillNDave, and  who graciously volunteer for this removal and helped hubste get the Joanna.  It got here nicely on Friday and the guys were then fattened up with a feeding in reward of efforts. I still owe Civeng a meal as he couldn't stay.

Thanks also to Musicman who checked out a piano tuner for me.

Am very rusty playing as it's been far too long. Have booked a tutor for Thurs to get me back to grade 8 so wish me luck! Only then will the soirée evenings begin :)