Eco-friendly living

This is my first post and I am looking for help...
currently in Philly both my husband and I work in the bar restaurant business. His company is opening a restaurant just outside of san Juan and we will be moving. So I am doing as much research as possible for this exciting opportunity. I have a savings that I was going to put towards a place of my own here in Philly but now I would like to buy land in PR.
I would like any info on building an earth bag home in PR. I am aware PR adopted international building codes in2011. These structures meet all requirements but are officials open to ecobuilding options? Also is anyone else building these homes? There inevitably will be localized issues that I would be interested in learning about.
Thank you any help would be appreciated.

Hi Jess. I know a women who built an Adobe Home here in the country...she took a class on Adobe Building in Puerto Rico. The Adobe construction seems to be the same or similar to Earth Bag. So yes I believe it would be possible...not sure about building codes or if you can build a house like that in or close to the Metro Area...so if you were to build farther out from your Jobs near San Juan...you would need to keep in mind your daily work commute which could end up being an hour or more with traffic. My recommendation to you would be to live in Puerto Rico first for a year or more to see if you actually like it before you think about making an investment. Also if you don't know Spanish....start to learn because you will need it....especially in the Restaurant - Bar industry. Here is a group of people in PR that work with Ecobuilding etc. I think they give classes also...a good starting point:  http://www.plenitudpr.org/articulo-super-adobe.html

Thank you

Yes, Thank you! This is awesome!