Living and working in india

Hi I am looking to work and live in new delhi or hyderabad. I from the UK and a fitness pro with over 12 yrs experience. I am wanting to now travel and work overseas. I have contacted an agency who recruit highly qualified instructors like me to work in Saudi, Barhrain, Kuwiat and Rhydia ( i think its spelt), and india. I am concerned about the strict living conditions in saudi- not allowed out on own, assisgned a driver to take you to work, cover up when ouside the complex etc. I have now looked at another job spec in india and the job role is for head trainers, which is my area, so the actual role ie perfect. It in a health club either in new delhi or hyderabad but not yet got the full itenary- salary, hours of work, etc. The accomodation, food, medical is all paid for. So i am seeking advice from anyone who has moved to india or is on a contract there, what the life is like, the conditions, etc. The job offer is 12 months. I have always wanted to travel but until now not been in a position to do so. I have no commitmenst except my current work and yes i can easily give 4 weeks notice. I am struggling to find a position that reflects my quals and experience in the UK and also the fact that i do want to venture abroad and if i dont do this now i will be too old.
Any advice would be great and do you think its an opportunity i should take or forever wonder if??
I am a 36 yr old female. Would india be more suitable than saudi?
Thanks and please as much help from everyone to enable me to pursue this chance.
Clare

Hello Clare and welcome to Expat.com :)

I cannot speak about India but a little about Saudi Arabia:)
where I lived over 8 years.
I can tell you that it is not true that you are not allowed out on your own : I was going out to make my shopping, go to restaurants, going for a coffee etc on my own.

Only Riyadh is more conservative and even expat women have to cover their hair! In compounds you can dress as usual! and you may go to work with a taxi (but I advise to use limousine service even to go shopping) unless your employer has bus service to collect personnel (which saves you money by the way :))

If you still think about Saudi Arabia, you could post a message on the forum of Saudi Arabia: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=423 with your concerns.

As for a job in India, you could check-out India Classifieds and more particularly the classifieds of the cities which have interests to you (scroll down the page to find the links to the various subsections and you may even post an ad in the adequate section.

Hope this helps and maybe other members in the forum with come forward with tips and info for you.

All the best
Arlette

Hey Clare,

India is definately a better place. You will love the country. People are warm and friendly. Delhi is a better than Hydrabad and you will easily adjust to the city.

Let me know if you want more information. Would love to help and  provide you information.

TC Sammy !

Hi thanks fot this. Please could you give me more info.
Basically iv been offered 3 potentisl job positions thorugh an agency in UK for saudi/riyhaid and india (new deli and hyderabad). These are fitness instructor jobs all either head trainer or similar, which as Im extremley highly qialified this is my area. Im currently working in the UK in 2 different jobs, both are ok but NOT using my full skills i.e cannt find a job in my area that reflects all my experience and knowledge. Plus iv always wanted to travel, and im getting very bored here in the UK each day now seems the same as the last. Im fed up with the same monday traffic, people rude, and general UK attitude. Iv contaced the USA/ Canada and NZ etc and i cannot get visas due to my work quals and skills are not classed as special so no chance there. So after alot of research iv now found out that the only travel countries i can go are the middle east , which i have reservations due to the strict culture, the cruises which you work 12 hr days often 7 days a week or india. This agency said that with my experience i would get a great job and she has sent me through a good spec from india- a head trainer in charge of other staff and also i would be able to utilise my skills and actually teach them to teach members. So i have asked for more job info as i am unsure of the salary/working conditions the accomodation- is it a tiny bedsit out in the sticks, the size of the gym etc etc etc. So im first finding out from any one out there exactly what is the life like? Can i go out on my own? Is it very dirty like you see on t.v? how hot is it? What are the fitness gyms like there are they similar to UK or very much still 20-30 yrs behind us? The job does seem very appealing so i am certainly wanting more info.
Please can you fill me in some more on the above if you can or just general life and working for a female from the UK.
Thanks alot Clare

Hey Clare,

I am Parul from Delhi.

There is no doubt about India is much better place for a girl like you...... Especially Delhi is "THE" place..... With growing Fitness awareness, the demand for Fitness instructors have increased drastically...... I was working with Reebok India Company and seen the rise in fitness industry.

No, it's not that dirty here, Delhi is in the top ten green cities in the world..... Be assured that the life here is much much easier for an expat like you, people are really friendly here (You can make out from my response).

The Fitness centers are world class and i think better than European Gyms. I have been to London, Spain, Spain and Germany, and i can tell you few fitness centers in Delhi are at par with those in Developed Nations.

Rgds/Parul,,,
+919811284456

Thanks for this. I have been told that india is not as developed as the UK as I asked the agency who recruit for fitness staff to india and saudi. She said generally the level of fitness is not as modern as the UK or saudi and that alot of the areas out are in extreme poverty. I am told that I should look at fitness jobs in saudi as its better for a female there BUT the culture is very strict i.e cover up outside and have a driver take you to work. So i am going to hopefully have interviews with both companies, the one in saudi and the one in new delhi and ask them for alot more info, about the role, the living conditions and about the area i would be working. If you have any more info on this please let me know as its people like you that will help me decide.
Thanks

Yeah That's true if you compare the fitness level..... but in terms of Facilities and equipments few Fitness Centers Like "Fitness First", "Goldsgym", "The Talwalkars" to name a few, have the best-est and most advanced equipments.

Ultimately it's gonna be your call.
From my side i can tell you that India is not that bad...... as shown to the world..... you have to be here to believe it....

Take care.... : )-

Delhi definitely is more fun to live than Hydrabaad especially given the strong infrastructure it has. Top of it being the capital it is probably the most developed. Weather is nice, food is awesome, living standards are better and to end it all nightlife is fun

I would def recommend Delhi for you

Thanks.
I am having an interview for a head fitness trainer in delhi. Im not sure where and what club, however i believe the fitness clubs there are are of good quality.
Can you tell me what the fitness side is like there and also is there alot of poverty outside on the streets. I would not like to have extreme poverty on my doorstep. I will ask more during the interview, but iv also got an interview for a luxury club in saudi as well. The culture is very strict there and we would live in compounds and have to cover up out of these. I have been told saudi is stunning but very strict, and also india is good for an expat like me. Out of the 2 which do you think would be more suitable for me, bearing in mind im from the UK?
Would i fit on more in india or saudi, which one is going to work better for me from your point of view? I will have the interviews for both and see which place i would be better. So im getting as much info from everyone who lives and works in both of these countries.

Come on Clare, get real.

I don't know what you have been told or seen on TV, i would suggest you to read about India before you come here......

In fact my ex girlfriend is an European (Austrian)and she is been in India for last 8-9 years and she doesn't wanna go back...

Thanks....

Parul

Hi yes iv done tones of research mainly on internet and also travel guides but these are not really exact more so for tourists. This is why im on to these forums and asking people like you to give me a clear picture of life and how I would fit in. Im going to be working in the fitness side, so looking to seek as much onfo about their gym clubs as possible. Iv gpt a phone interview next week as a head trainer in new delhi so will be asking alot more from the employer, but if you can give me any more feedback this would be great.
Thanks Clare

If you can name the Fitness Center, I would be able provide more inputs, Delhi has number of world class fitness centers. Also there is a suburb " Gurgaon" This place is as good as Delhi and you'll find many expat living there.

Hi I wont know which fitness brand until the interview which is next week. So will find out then get back to you. But so far iv been offered Saudi and/or India and as Saudi is very strict but stunning iv been told that would be a better country to work, however after enquiring of india, the life is not a strict and apparently I would fit in better an an expat! So this is why im more so india over saudi at this initial stage. Also in saudi we would live in a compound and can only go out with a driver and have to cover up etc. At least india is not quite like that.
Thanks Clare

Delhi and Mumbai are better place in india...

If you want freedom of living as you live in UK then you must consider New Delhi, India. You'll never feel like you are living in a conservative-minded place. As far as poverty is concerned, that's about India & NOT about New Delhi. several parts are more developed & after the CommonWealth Games, the infrastructure has also improved & Delhi is indeed becoming a world class city. Most important is the freedom of culture you'll enjoy here rather than in Saudi Arabia. New Delhi is a complete Metropolitan City with latest amenities.
If you need any help/guidance then you can contact.

hi Clare,
i'm a saudi from Riyadh and now live in New Delhi for sometime,,
yes you are right that Saudi is very strict, you have to live in a compound and can only go out with a driver and have to cover up etc.. these are all different than UK where you can do anything you what. however, i know so many foreigners most of whom are British who came to Saudi and liked it,, and the reason was because it's diffrent than any place in the world!!! yes it's maybe difficult for you, but try it,, and find out how other people live. that may make your life exciting and you may like it.
other choice: you should contact your embassy in Riyadh and ask them.
hope you the best
Nawaf

I am an hyderabadi, living presently in Riyadh,Saudi and have seen both places and knows them as well and can give a fair comparision.

Riyadh,Saudi is a nice place , I know there are a lot of apphensions about an expat woman living in Saudi, especially in Riyadh, my opinion is every country has its own culture, law of lands and as long as we do some home work and dont try to break them or atleast dont have a thought to break them, every thing should be fine. As Arlette mentioned above, some of the things you have imagined actually may notbe correct, so doing a good home work would help and no place is a bad place to live. :)

Coming to India, if you have to choose between Hyd and Delhi, both are Cosmopolitian citites, being from hyd, can tell more about hyd than Delhi as you have seen some blogs above about delhi above.

Hyderabad, I would say, scores over other cities in India in terms of low cost of living, climate, easy accessibility. In my opinion, it is a fairly easy and accommodating city to move into. Sure its congested, chaotic etc etc, but it is quite a friendly place in many ways. As a female foreigner, as long as you take usual commonsense precautions it should be ok . Hyderabad has started expanding these days and has changed a lot in the last 5 to 6 years and is no more restricted just to the twin cities. So this elimates the chances of congestion in future as well.

Bookstores, Yoga, Shopping etc. - you wont have issues.
western style groceries - Theres a supermarket called Q-mart in banjara hills and a lot of shopping malls all over the City, which stocks a lot of imported grocery items. For normal groceries theres a supermarket at every street corner.

You can have broadband internet in your flat. speeds are ok unless you are accessing heavy audio/visual content.

As for the weather, its fairly pleasant for most part of the year except the summer. April, May and June are quite warm. You can expect peak temp to be in the range of 41-43 degree C in thee areas, The summer heat in Hyd (for short) will also give you experience of hot winds blowing as if you are in a desert (The Deccan!)- the overhead sun can be blistering between 11am-4pm. But you are a profesional trainer and should know how to stay fit, so shouldnt have an issue. :) To minimize discomfort during summer, limit your day time travel, keep yourself hydrated and cover your face when you are outside. You would need to buy an A/C for your apartment/house if it is not already furnished for you. Monsoon season lasts until September/October with July and August being the highest rainfall months. However even during July and August mean number of rainy days that you can expect to have is around 10 per month. And it does not rain all day most of the time. Rain during the non-monsoon months is minimal in comparison.you will be fine during the monsoon season in India. It is actually fun to go out and get drenched when it is raining. If you do not want to do that a good umbrella (you can buy this in India) will stand you in good stead.

You will love Hyderabad if you are an Indian food lover. Get a taste of Hyderabadi biryani at one of major establishments in the city and you will become a fan for life.

For further reference this is a blog of an American family who lived in the city for a semester last year.
http://www.kaploinindia.blogspot.com/

for cost of living comparisions, goto http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-livin … hyderabad, Hyd is 38% cheaper than Delhi.

Drop me an email on [email protected] will refer you to a young lady who has been an expert sorts and is a fitness freak, even trained in Australia and very widely travelled. She can perhaps give you a good comparative analysis.