Working in Malta - please help!

Hello everyone!

I was offered a job in Malta for around 20k p.a. Our office is in Valletta. I'm currently in Singapore (not my home country) and my current salary is roughly the same as Malta. But Malta is such a wonderful country that I'm really tempted to transfer there. Besides, I'm still in my mid 20s so I'm quite adventurous. I would love to visit other neighboring countries like Italy and such.

Now here's my dilemma: my family is quite hesitant about letting me work in Malta. So I also have to think about the move really well.

I'm particularly concerned about the following (in Euros):
1. Accommodation
In Singapore -200 pax (80-100sq.m house-sharing for 5 persons)
In Malta -

2. Utilities
In Singapore -15 pax (house-sharing for 5 persons)
In Malta -

3. Food!!! per kilo? per pound? please indicate the measurement rate used..
Rice?
Fish?
Chicken?
Beef?
Pork?
Vegetables?

4. Transportation costs + travel time
To Italy -
To Greece -
Any other countries that I can go to on weekends?

5. I also want to take my Master's Degree (Business Administration) in Malta during weekends so if you know a good school please post it here.

I really appreciate some help or tips or some useful links. Thank you!

Hello and welcome to Expat.com :)

There is already a topic running on Cost of living in Malta sticked on top of the forum; you might want to check it out as I'm sure most of your points will find an answer there :D

Have a nice day further

Arlette

Hi,

Yes, welcome to our forum .

I'm not quite sure what currency 'pax' is so I cannot compare to Malta but there are many posts about actual cost of living in Malta on the forum.The number you quote is for 1 person in shared accomodation?

Which country are you from ? That is important for a move to Malta.

Is your stated salary before or after taxes and national insurance ?

Regards

Ricky

Hello and thank you Arlette. I already browsed it but some of my questions are still unanswered especially with food - it relieves me of homesickness;b If it's ok, I'd love to post all my questions in this thread to help me decide whether to transfer to Malta or not. If not, feel free to move my post as necessary... I really don't know where to post it properly^^

@Ricky - Hello! I'm also from another Southeast Asian country^^ The amounts I quoted are in Euros already and the salary I indicated is gross of any deductions.

Oh and I will be provided with a fair amount of cargo space by my company so if you know what is the usual area of the room in Malta please let me know. Thank you!

Hi Pinksakura,

Then you can expect taxes of around 2300,- €/year and Social Security Contribution of around 32,- /per week leaving around 1350 € /month income.

Consider that most appartments in Malta are furnished and might not take that much of your own furniture.

To see what you can do travel wise check out the Airmalta website and Ryanair for destinations,schedule and prices.You should find good offers during the winter season.

Your company will be doing all the work permit/residency paperwork for you . You are lucky-))

Ricky

Oh I see. Thank you so much Ricky!

Yes, I'm so lucky! They'll be handling everything from plane ticket to cargo to work permit. So all I'm worried about now are the living and travel expenses when I get there.

How long does it take the average person to find work in Malta???  I have read some websites that talk about a 3 month average timeframe, does that really sound right?

Chad

I think that totally depends on how specific your skills are. What industry are you looking in?

I am usually in IT management but am looking to get back out of management and into some interesting work.   Here is a not so up to date copy of my resume..   http://khaostheory.org/   all that's there is the resume though I haven't finished the site.

I am definitely interested in getting opinions on the format since I am told I will need a European CV and not the american format I am using.

Also my wife has graduated with a bachelors in a hotel management and tourism and speaks 5 languages so I am thinking she wont have a lot of trouble down there but I dont know yet...

My impression of the IT industry is that people are not on the market long - we hired someone in IT earlier this year and were a little slow after the interviews to proceed with the hire - and people we called back had already been hired within a month.

We definitely only accept cv's in the Europass format which you can download http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/europ … mplate.csp

Your a lifesaver, Not only is it very comforting to hear that I shouldnt have a lot of troubles in finding something but with the CV format I now have something to do this weekend.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.  :)

I also noticed that a lot of CV's have a photo of the individual on them, Is this really helpful or necessary?

Honestly my boss chucks the ones without photos.

crap!!!!   I'm just not that pretty, but I'll definitely get a photo....  Thank you again.

ricky, did you say that Ryanair flies to Malta? do you know from where?

Yes they do . Please check out their website for more details.

They fly from 5 UK airports to Malta.

i am from malta but currently living in denmark..

Well malta is a very beautiful island, rly small though

a bus will cost you 47c of a euro usually...
a taxi would be around 15/30eu depends where u wanna go of course.

Accomodation for one person is around 300eu/month. Depends where u wanna stay.

and to go to italy with the ferry would cost u around 80eu ..and it works every saturday. in 3hrs ull be there.

if you want to go to gozo, it would cost you around 6eu, ull be there in 15min

good luck x