Visas future or possible residency

I'm a  Filipina American , residing USA for over 35 years.. I just curious about Belgian men. I meet one recently on dating cite. I was intrigue about their charateristic.He seems very gentle and respectful. I was on a try out in a particular dating site and a wonderful gentleman with Belgian descent contacted me and we been communicating for quite sometimes. He I is from American father, with Belgian Mother, Educated and grow up in Europe.

I just want some suggestions or input about ladies dating or in serious relastionship with Belgian men.
Would I go through hardship, if I happen to get serious with this gentlemen, regarding visas if he decide to choose Belgium for permanent residency in the future?

Edbar57,

Welcome to Expatblog.

How long have you been communicating with this gentleman? 

It's a plus he is a product of two cultures; American and Belgian, so that's great.  In other words, it's good he has been exposed to the American culture and that should minimize the difficulties of him trying to learn and understand the American culture.  I've met a lot of Belgian people here and the only exposure they have had to American culture is what they have seen on tv; never been to the U.S. and don't know any Americans.  Most are extremely inquisitive about the U.S. 

I had no problems as an American citizen; none whatsoever in regards to permission to live/stay here.  I am married to a Belgian man and we were even married here.   It does take time to get processed into their system, so you will have to be patient and wait.  I am not sure if you would be planning on marrying or just living together with this gentleman if you move here.  I can't really comment on the living together senario.

I met my husband in Brussels while on vacation and we stayed in contact and the rest is history.  I would recommend taking your time building the relationship and not rushing into packing up and moving to where he is without thoroughly considering things; the pros and cons of moving to another country.  Make sure you think about what you want.  Even though the U.S. and Belgium are western countries they are still very different.  The hardest thing for me was adapting to another way of life at an older age. 

My husband is wonderful, gentle and kind, however, keep in mind that has nothing to do with a nationality; the fact he is Belgian.  That has to do with his character and personality.  I've heard horror stories from a few foreign women who came here to be with a Belgian man and it was disastrous, so you need to know who exactly you are dealing with.  Someone could portray himself as being something he is totally not.  You should definitely meet this man in person and interact with him as much as possible.  I have also met a lot of foreign women who come here and want a house, job, children, etc. in a short period of time and their only financial support is their husband or boyfriend and he doesn't earn much.  They want everything to happen at once and they have no money of their own.  Make sure you have you own financial resources before moving here and that you aren't solely depending on a man for support.  Jobs for foreigners aren't easy to find here as well.  These are the types of things you need to consider.

I wouldn't even start entertaining the idea of moving here until your relationship has gotten to the point of being serious.  Get to know him and let it build slow for right now.  He may or may not be the one.......time will tell.

I suppose first you'll face the same problems as others who have met their international partners online.

When you meet him in real life, you'll may be pleasantly surprised or soured - this won't have to do with him being Belgian. It'll have to do with that people are not entirely honest in their online profiles, try to present themselves in an exaggeratingly good light and may have skeletons in their closet.

Your future happiness will depend on the true nature of this man in real life, not his nationality.

Having said that, USA and Belgium are both first world countries, so may be the switch is not as drastic as say if you were coming from India (like me). BUT, their culture IS different and will need a lot of effort on your part to assimilate in Belgium. French is not an easy language, so be prepared to work hard at that. Dutch is much easier, so there's a choice.

Hasselt09 has listed very good precautions and they should be applied as much as possible when moving forward with an online relationship and relationships in general. Please make sure you have enough financial resources to at least take a trip back home if things don't work out. I cannot stress it enough how important it is to be financially independent in a foreign country, especially as a woman.

That would not happen, I don't plan on jumping the gun in such a short time..Thank you for a very beneficial information.. Right now we are communicating thru , text and email and phone.

We both very busy people and he travel thru bussiness. I am very captivated by his pure , and genuine enlightingl,gentleness, which I never find anywhere in whole entire United States.

We both had worse experienced in Previous marriages , and both with spiritual values.. I  am well established in U.S.. And he is as well.. I am not accustomed however, on meeting a gentlemen, whom approached to relationships , are far among  the ordinary. I appreciate him more and more everyday of my life. Sometimes I ask end my self could this be real.?.. I  always believed that if " too good to be true , it's usually isn't". He is proving me wrong other wise..:)). Its a magical , fairy tales love story so far...thank you for respond.

Edna.

Confused about your nationality.  Do you have American nationality or are you a Filipina living in the U.S.?  If you don't have the American nationality I can't comment in regards to visas or residency to live here in Belgium.

Surprised after living in the states for 35 years you haven't or didn't meet any American men like this man in the "whole entire United States."  Very strange indeed. 

Again, an online relationship is usually very different from interacting with someone in real life.  I am glad you are feeling great about what has happened so far, but you do need to be practical as well.  Make sure it is real.  Maybe it is and maybe it isn't............time will tell. 

I would put worrying about visas and residency in regards to living in Belgium on the back burner for now especially if you just met the gentleman.

I am a Filipina decent, American National status.. I been married and divorced.. He is as well. We both  feel the loss and sorrow s of divorced.. We both had grown children , professionals and happy for their accomplishments.. There will be no plans in regards to immigrating any countries.. Home is here in U .S for both of us.. I'm intrigued about this gentleman values, I love him with all my heart. i vowed never get involved after my divorced, it was a long painful one.. But things can change.:)) who knows what the future holds.. Thank you for your responds

Edbar57 wrote:

Home is here in U .S for both of us..

So you guys are both in USA? I thought he was living in Belgium, since your thread is titled 'visas future or possible residency'?

If you guys have plans to meet soon, you could ask him to come over to the US from wherever he is. If he'd be willing to travel to US for you from Belgium, it could indicate some sincerity in his efforts.

There are very many things that need to be considered when moving countries for someone, I hope you're not losing sight while falling in love.

Lol! Love is a wonderful thing can happen to anyone. I thought I give it a chance. With caution of course.. Get to know its other and see what happen next. He is well educated individual and willing to do it the right way as well as I do. We both  learn from fast mistakes , that mistakes serves us both a lesson learned the hardest.He is a U.S citizen, and I am too.. He talks about growing up in Belgium and I believed , one day he would want to settle there for good.
I know if I love him enough , I will have to sacrifice what I have been accustomed  to, to make him happy.

I run across this site, I thought I ask some questions on visas and, what and what not, about Belgium.

My appreciation to everyone for taking time to answer my questions.

Edbar57, I do wish you all the best with this relationship.

I also wanted to add that the immigration laws here are becoming more and more strict meaning what applies today may not apply in the near future or future.  Right now immigration is a hot topic here just as it is in the states.

Your country of origin isn't the U.S., so I am not sure how the process for you would go if you decided to come here to live.

As I stated I didn't have any problems, but I can't say you will or won't have any problems.

All the best.