Shopping for men

Hello to all.  It's nice to see that there are fairly dedicated posters here sharing information and thoughts.

I would love to get some accurate, detailed information about men's shoes/clothes/accessories in the Middle East and its environs.  I am looking for things that would probably fall into one of two categories: "fun-looking" youngish stuff (I have seen some cool stuff at Top Choice on Olaya Street) and dressier high-quality stuff (i.e. not stuff that would be found at Kohl's or JCPenney in the U.S. but something like Bloomingdale's).  Can anyone direct me to the best places in Riyadh for those two categories? To be even more specific, I would like to find a nice pair of dressy dark wash jeans, a nice pair of stylish black shoes to accompany said jeans, and then some short-sleeve collared button-up shirts that have cool designs and maybe some dress shirts for work.  A cool square-shaped bag for being out walking around different cities would be nice, too.

Also, I will likely be in Riyadh for at least a year.  I hope to travel to other places (maybe Dubai, Istanbul, Cairo, and other cities).  Am I going to find a better selection and better prices elsewhere? Is there one time of year (or two or more) when I will get the best deals here in Riyadh (or in said cities)- something like winter sales and summer sales? Does Saudi Arabia have any things like outlet stores or discount stores (like a Filene's Basement or Off Saks Fifth Avenue)?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Here you go:

Riyadh Gallery Mall shops:
Banana republic
Massimo dutti
Gap
Next

At the fist 3 shops you've got formal yet very stylish/intellectual men looks. And at the last 2 you've got the everyday look..

Kingdome Tower:
Raulph laurent
G-ucci
Debenhams

Granada Mall:
Debenhams
Guess
Levi
Next

Thats what I can remember for now.. Hope it helps.. Good luck

Everything you need is available here. Yet, I do advice you to get enough shoes to get you through the year you're going to spend in Riyadh. All kinds of sports shoes are avialable, but for some reason, the options for good/stylish shoes that you could wear with a suite are very limited. Even if you happen to find a good pair, it will be annoyingly overpriced.

This doesn't apply to other cities your mentioned though. It's a Riyadh thing. Probably a KSA thing...

I saw lots of Duchini shoes at a CenterPoint (CentrePoint) mall today.  How's their quality? Also, I guess I can be more specific by stating that I am not a big fan of NEXT, Gap, Banana Republic, or Levis.  I prefer more European or Middle Eastern-looking clothes that are tighter fitting.  The things I've seen from some Turkish companies look good, and I also liked the Italian brands I saw at Top Choice. 

I bought things at two stores last weekend but didn't get receipts at either.  Is it because I have a "white person face" or is that the norm in KSA?

Thanks again for your help.

I never tried Duchini's, I'll probably check them out soon. If you're into tight clothes you might wanna check Pierre Cardin and Zara, both on Olaya road. For casual stuff you might like City Max, this brand isn't high quality but taking their designs & prices into consideration I think their stuff is good value.

Normally all shops will give you receipts, it certainly has nothing to do with where you come from. However, some shops in certain areas don't give them to you unless you ask. I don't think it's intended, but most likely it's just the way they are used to sell.

I forgot to mention a mall located on King Abdulaziz Steet, next to Shula Mall. I can't remember its name but you can't miss it. Inside they sell men's wear only, mostly unbranded, but you could find some cool stuff for good prices. Don't forget to ask for generous discounts if you go there, something in the neighbourhood of 60% of their price tag isn't too far-fetched ;)

I have a thing for shoes, and I buy all mine when I'm back in Canada/State side. I can't find anything here that really stands out.

I had just bought a bunch (4 pairs) on my last trip. I bought one that on clearance, last piece/size at an outlet. I came back here, a month later, they were "brand new" just released for 3x the price (if I remember correctly).

You can visit Localizer Mall on Tahlia St. it has good number of stores for Men all good companies

Jack & Jones (casual)
Samuel Kelvin (casual)
Pull & Bear (casual)
Bershka (casual)
GAP (casual)

Mixed casual & formal
Armani
Zara

There are couple of other stores also i dont know the names of them. It's probably the best place you can buy for men if you like looking a lot before you buy. Also if you are going South from Kingdom Tower on Olaya Rd., you will also find a couple of branded stores there too like Mussimo Dutti etc.

Shoes is tough in riyadh, no good collection is available here. Sometimes you get lucky and find good pair at any clothing store otherwise, the only place they sell something formal and reasonable looking is Aldo or Milano but they don't always carry good variety

So where do u live,may be i can tell u a place closer to your location:)

There is a "mens Centre" - its a shopping centre for clothes & shoes. Based on King AbdulAziz Road, next door to the Raddison SAS.

Thanks for the comments.  I leave near Imam University, but I am willing to shop anywhere. 

Any info about the best time(s) of year to find sales or if there are discount retailers/outlets? Also, does anyone have experience comparing Riyadh/KSA selection and prices with other nearby countries' selections and prices?

Allons-y wrote:

Thanks for the comments.  I leave near Imam University, but I am willing to shop anywhere. 

Any info about the best time(s) of year to find sales or if there are discount retailers/outlets? Also, does anyone have experience comparing Riyadh/KSA selection and prices with other nearby countries' selections and prices?

I would recommend u to go Othaim mall Exit 11 ,they usually have wonderful sale and got good brands:)

Allons-y wrote:

Normally the store put up sales before and after seasons. e.g. there will be sale before summer and then after summer. It will be there before winter and after winter. But normally the sales especially in Men shops are useless; only good if you wear sizes XL+ and S. Otherwise there is not a big difference in prices.

There's a great Mens Suit Store called ATTITUDE on the Ground Floor of Al Aqariya II (Gate #10) on the Olaya Street intersection with Mousa bin Naseer Street (opp Al Nemer Building). They have great shirts, neckties, and other mens stuff too. Catch them when the SALE is on (which is MOST of the time) and you sure get some wonderful bargains.

Thanks for the comments.  As far as sales before and after winter, is there a general month when they may happen or is it normally a set week? I tend to wear S, by the way, so I might not find sales here useless! Thanks again for all input.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU for the Localizer Mall suggestion.  I was there a few hours ago and found it to be the best concentration of men's clothing I've seen so far in Riyadh.  The Outlet Moda looks great (I went in just before closing), the Al Pacino store is quite funny but actually alright, Avva Jeans had some nice things, and then there are al the chains that I'd heard of before. 

I really look forward to spending more time there.  For any of you who know of men who prefer European-cut stuff and more European-looking styles to what's offered in North America, I would suggest that you point them in the direction of Localizer Mall. 

I didn't have enough time to do extensive shopping there, so perhaps I will get lucky, but my two current wish list items are dress shirts and dark blue jeans.  Anyone have any leads?

Allons-y wrote:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU for the Localizer Mall suggestion.  I was there a few hours ago and found it to be the best concentration of men's clothing I've seen so far in Riyadh.  The Outlet Moda looks great (I went in just before closing), the Al Pacino store is quite funny but actually alright, Avva Jeans had some nice things, and then there are al the chains that I'd heard of before. 

I really look forward to spending more time there.  For any of you who know of men who prefer European-cut stuff and more European-looking styles to what's offered in North America, I would suggest that you point them in the direction of Localizer Mall. 

I didn't have enough time to do extensive shopping there, so perhaps I will get lucky, but my two current wish list items are dress shirts and dark blue jeans.  Anyone have any leads?

Wow! So much shopping to do and so little time.  Why not get on a plane and go to New York instead?  You might get some real bargains this time of the year!!

Thought that was what the wife was for while the man does interesting and worthwhile things ;)

MaserMan wrote:

Thought that was what the wife was for while the man does interesting and worthwhile things ;)

You sound like an old time male chauvanist.  Touchee!!!

CivEngr wrote:
MaserMan wrote:

You sound like an old time male chauvanist.  Touchee!!!

He winked.  That means he's being facetious ;)

Well if there wasnt shopping in Saudi Arabia, what else is there. Yes to get to understand what you want and where you will get it, it takes time. Most places are either too expensive or too cheap. the oens in between the decent ones. well they are a bit difficult to find.

But on that note, do check out the stores mentioned above, you might have to take a bit of time, but you will be able to find really good stuff and the prices wouldnt be soo high. ;)