5000 rm offer as analyst in media agency, Malaysia

Hi there!

Thanks for sharing here such useful information.

I live right now in Vietnam and work in small company. My salary is 1.500 USD and i'd say my spendings are here similar to what i will spend in Malaysia (except of that some services in Vietnam a lot cheaper than in Malaysia).

I have an offer with 4.500 rm (basics) + 500 rm (telephone+transportation allowances) from big media agency (so i have a keen interest in company for a long-term career).

Right now i am on stage of negotiating as i think (also topics here proved me that) it's not enough for 26 yo (with 1.5 year experience) single adult to live in KL (no parties/drinking; save up some money). 

I am thinking to accept an offer of 5.500 - 6.000 rm salary + 500 rm allowances. I am still hesitating as ringgit going down every months.

What do you think? I would appreciate every opinion, thanks!

I'm thinking under Malaysian immigration rules 1.5 years of relevant experience would not qualify you for an employment pass of any kind.

that's very interesting point, thanks!

I messaged a rough estimation of my working experience, it's actually 1 year 9 months but i guess it doesn't matter in this case.

The employer would need to make the case to Immigration. In any event you would need RM5k minimum per month to qualify and savings would be under RM2k per month. You would have to flat share to save that as well. COL is expensive in Malaysia and currency as you say becoming much less in value so it would be a case of spending it rather than losing it !! Your language skills may be your advantage as if a Malaysian could do the same job, then there would be no eligibility to hire a foreigner.

Thank you for your reply! and information! very helpful.

Got 5000 (base) rm + 500 rm allowances (first 6 months after 25% is 4250 rm, following months 11% of tax so i assume is 4950 rm) + expenses for an air ticket back home once a year will be covered by company.

The cost of living is very high as compared to Saigon. MYR 5000 = USD 1400 which is lower than what you are getting now. Not sure your motivation in working here, but based on cost of living and the salary offered you, it is rather difficult to manage.

Agree with above. A Vietnamese friend two years ago at 23 got 2,000 USD per month. (paid in USD - smart!)

That is ok for a 23 year old. You need 3,000 USD to make it worthwhile to make a move as Vietnam is far cheaper.

i hire a freshgrad (foreginer) with 0 yrs experience and his employmeny visa approved.
It's not only about experience but also the company eligibility to hire a foreigner (in my case the company i work for is a MSC status company)

salary wise, yes i would say its a reasonable offer