Introduction from Cape Town

Hello Everybody,

My husband and I live in Cape Town but are keen to make Mauritius our home one day.  We both have our own businesses, he's in finance and I am a personal stylist and own a ladies fashion boutique from home.  We have never been to Mauritius but plan on doing our first trip this year.  I am very keen to see what kind of garments I can source while I'm there, I am particularly interested in good quality cashmere. 

Look forward to meeting fellow south africans living there so we can know what the transitions been like for you guys.

Regards,
Helena

Hi there

We moved to Mauritius just under 2 years ago from Durban:) The island is beautiful and safe. I won't lie, it's a big adjustment, but the safety and scenery make it all worth it:)

Best of luck!

All the best!
Kirsten

Hi Helena

We're in the process of packing up and buying there too but we're in Jo'burg. I've been on two scouting expeditions in the last 2 months, have quite a bit of info that pertains to our situation and yet still have 300 more queries :)

From what I've seen lately, it's a good decision and one we won't regret.

Best of luck
Michelle

Hi..I'm South African and lived in Mauritius for about 8 years..just did my post grad surgical studies back in SA and I want to invest in Mauritius with a long term goal of eventually retiring there...although I'd  like my investment to assist with transition of South Africans expats in Mauritius..so thought of primarily importing SA goods that are scarce...what (in your guys opinion) are products missed from SA that are not readily available in Mauritius?

Thanks
Looking forward to your response
Yak

You checked out Quartier Gourmet? They import quite some stuff from SA like Superfoods, Cheese, wine, meat if I am not mistaken, as well as from Europe. You find them here in the directory in the organic food section.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys,  looking forward to learning more and getting to know Mauritius better.

Hi Scoeter...apologies for detracting from your thread...but a brilliant choice for long term relocation, Mauritius is awesome to say the least and you shan't regret it. Feel free to ask me anything specific with regard to everyday living there, although on the business side, I'm still a novice.
Regards yak

I am Mauritian and in love with Cape Tow and South Africa. We spent some time ago a nice time in CT with my wife, daughter, son in law and grand daughter

I would love,  if you and your husband wish, to help your family to settle smoothly and may be bring answers to some of the 300 queries mentioned by Michelle above.

Welcome.

Sydney

Hi Helena,

I am also from CT and been living here just over 2 years. Mauritius is not CT and has its challenges but overall a good place to live in terms of safety and low crime, good infrastructure and above all, the very low tax rate of of only 15% regardless of what your income is.
You are welcome to contact me when you have arranged your dates to travel here and I am more than willing to meet you and assist with any queries.

Kind regards,

Hein

Hi Hein,. Hope you dont mind me butting in on your conversation,,also from SA, but spending time in Australia,, would love to come back to the islands,,, was there many yesrs ago., my son was born in Curepipe!! I do believe so much has changed,, what are the chances as a working retiree,,lots of experience and knowledge to share with the islanders,,
Looking forward to hearing from you,, Carol