Opening an ACB Bnk Account

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what documentation an expat requires to open a current account with ACB?

Thanks.

ACB

Hi,

If not mistaken all you need is your passport.

i just opened an acc 2 days ago and you just need to bring your passport. i also got my card the same day =) i waited for 15-20 mins :)

Thats good to share this information. As an expat in a country, this is one of the essentials things thats required.  :top:

no so fast where im at..  :sosad:

Hi all,

Sorry for the late update. It only took abouy 20 minutes and all I needed was my passport. It might also be helpful if you also have the phone number of your employer's HR department; however, I don't think that's necessary!

I helped my American friend open an account at ACB about 3 months ago, they just told him to show his passport.

Passport is necessary in this case. They have the form already for you to complete it yourself. It's about 15-20 mins to receive your ATM card also. ACB is one of the BEST commercial bank in VN.

Wasn't ACB involved in a scandal about 4 years ago that necessitated the government stepping in to shore up the bank and to prevent a run?  Ironically though that may make it a little safer today now that the biggest crook at the top has been replaced with smaller crooks.   It seems Vietnamese private banks are often subject to skimming by the principal officers.  My wife used to keep savings certificates in at least 6 different banks to protect us somewhat from one going under.  They probably are not good for international banking but my intuition says that the five government owned banks are the safest place to keep savings.  Even if someone is ripping them off internally, Agribank, Vietinbank, or Vietcombank won't go under unless the whole country does.

For moving money, I would go with one of the foreign owned banks such as Citi, ANZ, or HSBC depending on your home country.

We'll , I just got back from ACB this minute and they would not let me open an account unless I had a resident permit or a work permit/visa,in addition to my passport

Sad to hear that, but did you try Standard Chartered Bank  ? All they need only passport.

did anyone had to fill out a W2 form for the IRS?

anguyenpham wrote:

did anyone had to fill out a W2 form for the IRS?

Did you mean W-9?  That is the form that banks use to record your US taxpayer status.  Basically it is so that they can report your interest to the IRS.  The only bank that I could imagine asking for that would be Citibank.